xml schema description of XML GnuCash file?

xml schema description of XML GnuCash file?

Larry Evans
Such a description could be used as described here:

   http://ws.apache.org/jaxme/manual/ch01.html#N1003C

and it might just be useful for developers to check
that they've created a partially correct XML GnuCash
file after some modifications to the gnucash code.

Is there any interest in developing such a schema?
I did notice some schema discusssions back in
2000:
<--------- cut here ------------
From: Richard Wackerbarth <[hidden email]>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.devel
Subject: Re: Schema
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 07:00:25 -0600

Re: xml schema description of XML GnuCash file?

Neil Williams-2

Re: xml schema description of XML GnuCash file?

Josh Sled
On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 12:48 -0500, Larry Evans wrote:
> Is there any interest in developing such a schema?

It would take, practically, a total re-write of the XML backend to
actively use the schema in parsing or generation.  The code right now
isn't in flux, so there's little need to verify the code's output
against a schema.

The desire is to move away from XML for primary data-storage, though to
support some form of XML as an export/import format.  If that effort
results in a re-write of the XML layer, it's conceivable a schema-driven
or -influenced design could come out of that.

The schema is periodically requested, so it would be nice to have, but
there's little core-developer interest in doing it.

...jsled
--
http://asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`

Re: xml schema description of XML GnuCash file?

Phil Longstaff
--- Neil Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not for the current file backend, it is also slated
> for replacement. XML
> is not an ideal choice of long term storage of
> important data.

The Massachusetts state government might not agree
with you.

Phil

Re: xml schema description of XML GnuCash file?

Derek Atkins
Quoting Phil Longstaff <[hidden email]>:

> --- Neil Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Not for the current file backend, it is also slated
>> for replacement. XML
>> is not an ideal choice of long term storage of
>> important data.
>
> The Massachusetts state government might not agree
> with you.

Let me rephrase...  XML is not an ideal choice for a
long-term database storage format.  It's fine for
quazi-static documents.  For for a database is sucks.

> Phil

Re: xml schema description of XML GnuCash file?

Larry Evans
On 10/13/2005 01:25 PM, Neil Williams wrote:
[snip]
> Full details of QSF are here (including a Schema):
>
> http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/qsf.html

Very interesting.  The page:

   http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/map.html

contains:

   qsf-map is an XML format used to map a series of QOF objects from one
   application to a series of different QOF objects in another
   application.

One reason I was interested in XML was that both GnuCash
and Gnumeric store their data in XML files.  Now, if both
GnuCash and Gnumeric change their storage format from XML
to QSF, then great.  I was thinking of using Gnumeric
to perform sums and averages and calculate average return
on investment.  I was having trouble figuring out how
to do that with GnuCash and was hoping maybe I could
just use XSLTPROC to extract what I needed from the
GnuCash XML, reformat it to satisfy Gnumeric's schema
(whatever that may be) and then do the calc's there.
I was also thinking of using a similar process to
calcuate taxes.  However, that's probably more
trouble than it's worth.

Anyone have any better ideas on how to communicate
between Gnumeric and GnuCash?

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 16:29 -0500, Larry Evans wrote:
> Anyone have any better ideas on how to communicate
> between Gnumeric and GnuCash?

http://gnomesupport.org/wiki/index.php/GnuCashFrequentlyAskedQuestions#Q:_How_can_I_export_data.3F
http://gnomesupport.org/wiki/index.php/GnuCashFrequentlyAskedQuestions#Q:_How_do_I_convert_from_CSV.2C_TSV.2C_XLS_.28Excel.29.2C_or_SXC_.28.21OpenOffice.org_Calc.29_to_a_QIF.3F

...jsled