what is .aba format

Brendan Simon
Does anyone know what .aba format is?

My bank (in Australia) offers access for business banking via accounting
software that support the .aba format.  MYOB and Quicken are given examples.

I've never heard of this format before.
Is it Australian specific?
Is it commonly used?
Does gnucash support it?

Thanks, Brendan.

Re: what is .aba format

Quoting Brendan Simon <[hidden email]>:

> Does anyone know what .aba format is?
>
> My bank (in Australia) offers access for business banking via accounting
> software that support the .aba format.  MYOB and Quicken are given examples.
>
> I've never heard of this format before.
> Is it Australian specific?
> Is it commonly used?
> Does gnucash support it?

I've never heard of it before, either.  Could you download a sample?
What does it look like?

> Thanks, Brendan.

Re: what is .aba format

Brendan Simon
Looks like it's an Australian thing.  Some government or industry
standard, and there seems to be support in MYOB & Quicken.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/702696.html

http://www.anz.com/aus/promo/ANZ-Internet-Banking-For-Business/default.asp
" #Compatible with accounting software that allows you to create files
in an .aba file format. "

http://www.bendigobank.com.au/public/fsra/pds/pdf/FTS_DirectDebiting_Current.pdf
http://209.85.175.104/search?q=cache:zrcKNsijpAMJ:www.bendigobank.com.au/public/fsra/pds/pdf/FTS_DirectDebiting_Current.pdf+accounting+aba+format&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=au&client=firefox-a

Cheers, Brendan.

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Quoting Brendan Simon <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Does anyone know what .aba format is?
>>
>> My bank (in Australia) offers access for business banking via accounting
>> software that support the .aba format.  MYOB and Quicken are given
>> examples.
>>
>> I've never heard of this format before.
>> Is it Australian specific?
>> Is it commonly used?
>> Does gnucash support it?
>
> I've never heard of it before, either.  Could you download a sample?
> What does it look like?
>
>> Thanks, Brendan.

Re: what is .aba format

Andrew Greig
On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 22:01 +1000, Brendan Simon wrote:

> Looks like it's an Australian thing.  Some government or industry
> standard, and there seems to be support in MYOB & Quicken.
>
> http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/702696.html
>
> http://www.anz.com/aus/promo/ANZ-Internet-Banking-For-Business/default.asp
> " #Compatible with accounting software that allows you to create files
> in an .aba file format. "
>
> http://www.bendigobank.com.au/public/fsra/pds/pdf/FTS_DirectDebiting_Current.pdf
> http://209.85.175.104/search?q=cache:zrcKNsijpAMJ:www.bendigobank.com.au/public/fsra/pds/pdf/FTS_DirectDebiting_Current.pdf+accounting+aba+format&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=au&client=firefox-a
>
> Cheers, Brendan.
>

> Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Quoting Brendan Simon <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >> Does anyone know what .aba format is?
> >>
> >> My bank (in Australia) offers access for business banking via accounting
> >> software that support the .aba format.  MYOB and Quicken are given
> >> examples.
> >>
> >> I've never heard of this format before.
> >> Is it Australian specific?
> >> Is it commonly used?
> >> Does gnucash support it?
> >
> > I've never heard of it before, either.  Could you download a sample?
> > What does it look like?
> >
> >> Thanks, Brendan.
Hi Guys,

I just rang the ANZ business help line at 2 minutes past midnight.
Their help desk is 24/7 -- impressive.  Although they mention the .aba
format on the front page, they only refer to versions of accounting
packages inside.  But they do export in QIF and csv still.

Cheers
Andrew Greig

Re: what is .aba format

James McDonald
Brendan Simon wrote:
> Does anyone know what .aba format is?
>
> My bank (in Australia) offers access for business banking via accounting
> software that support the .aba format.  MYOB and Quicken are given examples.
>
> I've never heard of this format before.

It's used to make multiple payments from your bank account to x number
of target accounts. If you just want to import transactions into GNUCash
then the normal csv or qif formats work fine but they don't actually
allow you to make payments as far as I'm aware.

The Australian Bankers Association http://www.bankers.asn.au/ hence ABA.
> Is it commonly used?

Most business banking interfaces support it. e.g. ANZ Online.

For example if you have to pay your suppliers it's easier to do the
payment run in your ERP/Accounting software which spits out an aba file
with all the to and from account details and amounts then load it up
into your Business banking interface and you're done. Most Aussie
Payroll software will output an ABA file to pay all your employees too.

> Does gnucash support it?

Not that I know of