/usr/local/lib/libgw-gnc.a: invalid ELF header

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

/usr/local/lib/libgw-gnc.a: invalid ELF header

Morris Walton
Hi,

I have successfully built and have been running the source from 1.8.11.  
I just built 1.8.12 and I get the following when I try to launch:

$ gnucash
ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
ERROR: file: "libgw-gnc", message: "/usr/local/lib/libgw-gnc.a: invalid
ELF header"

Anybody know what I need to do here?

Thanks,
Morris

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /usr/local/lib/libgw-gnc.a: invalid ELF header

Alpar Juttner
Hi,

I have the same problem as below. Could anybody help solvig it?
Btw, gcc-4.0 emits warnings with gnucash 1.8.12, therefore
--disable-error-on-warning option must be used.

Thanks,
Alpar

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 00:30 -0400, Morris Walton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have successfully built and have been running the source from 1.8.11.  
> I just built 1.8.12 and I get the following when I try to launch:
>
> $ gnucash
> ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
> ERROR: file: "libgw-gnc", message: "/usr/local/lib/libgw-gnc.a: invalid
> ELF header"
>
> Anybody know what I need to do here?
>
> Thanks,
> Morris
>
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
--
In order to prevent people from receiving viruses
that would seem to originate from my email,
if you use Microsoft Windows you do not have permission
to add this address to your address book.
If I am in your address book, please remove me.
Of course, this does not apply to GNU/Linux users.
Thank you.

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /usr/local/lib/libgw-gnc.a: invalid ELF header

Neil Williams-2
On Monday 21 November 2005 9:57 am, Alpár Jüttner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the same problem as below. Could anybody help solvig it?

I don't think it can be solved in the gnucash 1.8 tree, it is solved in
gnucash2.

> Btw, gcc-4.0 emits warnings with gnucash 1.8.12, therefore
> --disable-error-on-warning option must be used.

disable-error-on-warning prevents some nasty problems. Essentially, gnucash
1.8.x uses a version of g-wrap that does not produce correct code with gcc4.
This is part of the G2 work. If gnucash won't compile without
disable-error-on-warning it isn't likely to work once compiled with it set.
(Which is why it's used.)

1. Why are you compiling the 1.8 tree? You should be on SVN and using the
Gnome2 port if you are compiling from source.

2. Use existing binary packages for 1.8 until gnucash2 is ready.

3. If no binary package exists for your platform, work with the SVN source to
create one based on G2 - there's no further development in the 1.8 tree.

> > I have successfully built and have been running the source from 1.8.11.
> > I just built 1.8.12 and I get the following when I try to launch:
> >
> > $ gnucash
> > ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
> > ERROR: file: "libgw-gnc", message: "/usr/local/lib/libgw-gnc.a: invalid
> > ELF header"
> >
> > Anybody know what I need to do here?

Either :

1. downgrade gcc to 3.3 or 3.4 (not necessarily trivial) or

2. move to SVN and use the gnucash2 source that works with gcc4.

--

Neil Williams
=============
http://www.data-freedom.org/
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /usr/local/lib/libgw-gnc.a: invalid ELF header

Alpar Juttner
I can't understand. If a package maintainer manages to compile
gnucash-1.8.12 on SuSE10.0, why can't I do it myself?

Alpar

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 11:45 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:

> On Monday 21 November 2005 9:57 am, Alpár Jüttner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have the same problem as below. Could anybody help solvig it?
>
> I don't think it can be solved in the gnucash 1.8 tree, it is solved
> in  
> gnucash2.
>
> > Btw, gcc-4.0 emits warnings with gnucash 1.8.12, therefore
> > --disable-error-on-warning option must be used.
>
> disable-error-on-warning prevents some nasty problems. Essentially,
> gnucash  
> 1.8.x uses a version of g-wrap that does not produce correct code with
> gcc4.  
> This is part of the G2 work. If gnucash won't compile without  
> disable-error-on-warning it isn't likely to work once compiled with it
> set.  
> (Which is why it's used.)
>
> 1. Why are you compiling the 1.8 tree? You should be on SVN and using
> the  
> Gnome2 port if you are compiling from source.
>
> 2. Use existing binary packages for 1.8 until gnucash2 is ready.
>
> 3. If no binary package exists for your platform, work with the SVN
> source to  
> create one based on G2 - there's no further development in the 1.8
> tree.
>
> > > I have successfully built and have been running the source from
> 1.8.11.
> > > I just built 1.8.12 and I get the following when I try to launch:
> > >
> > > $ gnucash
> > > ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
> > > ERROR: file: "libgw-gnc", message: "/usr/local/lib/libgw-gnc.a:
> invalid
> > > ELF header"
> > >
> > > Anybody know what I need to do here?
>
> Either :
>
> 1. downgrade gcc to 3.3 or 3.4 (not necessarily trivial) or
>
> 2. move to SVN and use the gnucash2 source that works with gcc4.
>
> --
>
> Neil Williams
> =============
> http://www.data-freedom.org/ 
> http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/ 
> http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/
>
>  
>
--
In order to prevent people from receiving viruses
that would seem to originate from my email,
if you use Microsoft Windows you do not have permission
to add this address to your address book.
If I am in your address book, please remove me.
Of course, this does not apply to GNU/Linux users.
Thank you.


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /usr/local/lib/libgw-gnc.a: invalid ELF header

Neil Williams-2
On Monday 21 November 2005 3:26 pm, Alpár Jüttner wrote:
> I can't understand. If a package maintainer manages to compile
> gnucash-1.8.12 on SuSE10.0, why can't I do it myself?
>
> Alpar

1. Package maintainers have access to tools that most users would not install.

2. Maintainers have knowledge of both the program (and it's language) and the
platform that make it easier for them to fix these problems.

3. Why would you want to compile it manually if a package exists?

4. If you are trying to compile 1.8 so that you can tweak the code or create a
translation or modify any part of the tree, you NEED to be using SVN and the
GnuCash2 codebase. CVS write access is closed, only SVN commits are accepted.

5. GnuCash is a complex build and, if this list is anything to go by, SuSE has
had it's share of packaging problems with 1.8 just as I've had problems on
OSX and Debian with Gnucash2.

6. There are so many changes from 1.8 to 2.0 that it simply isn't worth doing
anything more in 1.8. Please, if you're going to do anything in gnucash, do
it with SVN on the gnucash2 code.

Nothing in 1.8 is being developed, all effort is on G2. If bugs exist in 1.8
(and they certainly do), there's no point fixing them in 1.8 because the code
may have been completely rewritten in G2. Code modifications to 1.8 are
unlikely to be transferable to G2. The change from 1.8 to 2.0 is simply too
large.

--

Neil Williams
=============
http://www.data-freedom.org/
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /usr/local/lib/libgw-gnc.a: invalid ELF header

Morris Walton-3
In reply to this post by Morris Walton
I downloaded and rebuilt the source for guile-1.6.7, and g-wrap-1.9.6,
but i kept running into the same issue.
 
This thread offers clues to what it was:

http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2004-October/012145.html

It has to do with configure/libtool thinking you use *.a instead of
*.so.  

This is what you want:
configure:13555: checking if libtool supports shared libraries
configure:13557: result: yes
configure:13564: checking whether to build shared libraries
configure:13585: result: yes
configure:13592: checking whether to build static libraries
configure:13596: result: no

I want to think I copied a utility from the other build directories to
get the configure to specify shared libraries, but for the life of me I
can't find evidence of that now.


Alpár Jüttner wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have the same problem as below. Could anybody help solvig it?
>Btw, gcc-4.0 emits warnings with gnucash 1.8.12, therefore
>--disable-error-on-warning option must be used.
>
>Thanks,
>Alpar
>
>On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 00:30 -0400, Morris Walton wrote:
>  
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have successfully built and have been running the source from 1.8.11.  
>>I just built 1.8.12 and I get the following when I try to launch:
>>
>>$ gnucash
>>ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
>>ERROR: file: "libgw-gnc", message: "/usr/local/lib/libgw-gnc.a: invalid
>>ELF header"
>>
>>Anybody know what I need to do here?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Morris
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>gnucash-user mailing list
>>[hidden email]
>>https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>>    
>>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user