turning off auto-fill

Terry Therneau
 I'm coming to gnucash from many years on an old DOS version of quicken (run
in a dosemu box), whose main endearing feature was a lack of mouse interaction.
This is much faster for a touch typist.

  In gnucash, the tab key does two things: move to the next field, and also
invokes auto-fill.  In my situation, the auto fill is wrong over 1/3 of the
time, and it takes far more time to erase a bad one than to type a new one,
especially when the old transaction was a split.

  Is there a way to separate these two functions?  Per my first sentence,
"change fields with the mouse" is not a desireable solution; but it is the
only one I found in the documents.  The best possible solution would be a
split into 2 key stokes: tab moves and alt-whatever invokes a fill.

  Terry Therneau

Re: turning off auto-fill

Y. Soete

Op 8-feb-07, om 21:43|8-feb-07 heeft Terry Therneau het volgende
geschreven:

>  I'm coming to gnucash from many years on an old DOS version of
> quicken (run
> in a dosemu box), whose main endearing feature was a lack of mouse
> interaction.
> This is much faster for a touch typist.
>
>   In gnucash, the tab key does two things: move to the next field,
> and also
> invokes auto-fill.  In my situation, the auto fill is wrong over
> 1/3 of the
> time, and it takes far more time to erase a bad one than to type a
> new one,
> especially when the old transaction was a split.
>
>   Is there a way to separate these two functions?  Per my first
> sentence,
> "change fields with the mouse" is not a desireable solution; but it
> is the
> only one I found in the documents.  The best possible solution
> would be a
> split into 2 key stokes: tab moves and alt-whatever invokes a fill.

Dear,

I agree with above,

--
Y. Soete
[hidden email]

T: 0032-473-900.155
F: 0032-70-416.911

Re: turning off auto-fill

Josh Sled
On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 14:43 -0600, Terry Therneau wrote:
>   In gnucash, the tab key does two things: move to the next field, and also
> invokes auto-fill.  In my situation, the auto fill is wrong over 1/3 of the
> time, and it takes far more time to erase a bad one than to type a new one,
> especially when the old transaction was a split.

I don't think there's a preference for it; there should be.  Please find
or file an RFE at <http://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=GnuCash>

I've found that using 'down arrow' doesn't trigger the auto-filling, but
others haven't seen the same behavior.

>   Is there a way to separate these two functions?  Per my first sentence,
> "change fields with the mouse" is not a desireable solution; but it is the
> only one I found in the documents.  The best possible solution would be a
> split into 2 key stokes: tab moves and alt-whatever invokes a fill.

I might be misreading, but this reads to me that you're unaware you can
select accounts with the keyboard ... when you're on the transfer
(account) cell, you can start typing the name of the account, and use
the account separator (usually ":") to complete sections.  E.g. for
"Expenses:Vehicle:Gas", you can get away with "ex:v:g" (assuming no
other naming conflicts).

You can enter transactions soley with the keyboard, most of the time.  I
zip through my weekly receipt entry usually with receipts on top of the
mouse.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled;b=asynchronous.org;echo ${a}@${b}

Re: turning off auto-fill

Tommy Trussell
On 2/9/07, Josh Sled <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 14:43 -0600, Terry Therneau wrote:
> >   In gnucash, the tab key does two things: move to the next field, and also
> > invokes auto-fill.  In my situation, the auto fill is wrong over 1/3 of the
> > time, and it takes far more time to erase a bad one than to type a new one,
> > especially when the old transaction was a split.
>
> I don't think there's a preference for it; there should be.  Please find
> or file an RFE at <http://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=GnuCash>
>
> I've found that using 'down arrow' doesn't trigger the auto-filling, but
> others haven't seen the same behavior.

To take this further, if there were a single keystroke that performs
the "Remove Split Transaction" function, that would be nice.
Alternatively, if you could "undo" the auto-fill (including splits)
using the standard undo keystroke, it would help, though of course it
might be more efficient to also have a special "don't auto-fill when I
tab" keystroke as Quicken does.

If anyone creates the RFE for this, please post the number to this
thread -- I would love to subscribe to it but I don't have time to
create it at the moment.

Re: turning off auto-fill

sunfish62
My workaround to shorting out the auto-fill is to type my entry, and if (as is
often the case) GC insists on more than I want, I type some other character and
then delete it, which derails the auto-fill. For example, my QIF import puts
in:

and I want:

typing "CompUSA" will ALWAYS result in the auto-filling from the import. So, I
type:

"CompUSA.{backspace}"

Result: "CompUSA" is now in the description. And, look ma, no mouse!

Since I mostly import OFX and QIF and then edit the result (rather than typing
transactions in), I do not know whether this clears out the rest of the
transaction (although I imagine it would).

HTH,
David

--- Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/9/07, Josh Sled <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 14:43 -0600, Terry Therneau wrote:
> > >   In gnucash, the tab key does two things: move to the next field, and
> also
> > > invokes auto-fill.  In my situation, the auto fill is wrong over 1/3 of
> the
> > > time, and it takes far more time to erase a bad one than to type a new
> one,
> > > especially when the old transaction was a split.
> >
> > I don't think there's a preference for it; there should be.  Please find
> > or file an RFE at <http://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=GnuCash>
> >
> > I've found that using 'down arrow' doesn't trigger the auto-filling, but
> > others haven't seen the same behavior.
>
> To take this further, if there were a single keystroke that performs
> the "Remove Split Transaction" function, that would be nice.
> Alternatively, if you could "undo" the auto-fill (including splits)
> using the standard undo keystroke, it would help, though of course it
> might be more efficient to also have a special "don't auto-fill when I
> tab" keystroke as Quicken does.
>
> If anyone creates the RFE for this, please post the number to this
> thread -- I would love to subscribe to it but I don't have time to
> create it at the moment.

Re: turning off auto-fill

Tommy Trussell
On 2/9/07, David T. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My workaround to shorting out the auto-fill is to type my entry, and if (as is
> often the case) GC insists on more than I want, I type some other character and
> then delete it, which derails the auto-fill. For example, my QIF import puts
> in:

> and I want:

> typing "CompUSA" will ALWAYS result in the auto-filling from the import. So, I
> type:
>
> "CompUSA.{backspace}"
>
> Result: "CompUSA" is now in the description. And, look ma, no mouse!
>
> Since I mostly import OFX and QIF and then edit the result (rather than typing
> transactions in), I do not know whether this clears out the rest of the
> transaction (although I imagine it would).

I've never used the OFX/QIF import for that purpose, but I can see how
that might be useful. Most of the time I'm entering stuff by hand, so
when I start to type Wal Mart it will pick up the transaction from the
last time, which is rarely the same because I buy different kinds of
things there, often requiring a split transaction.

On the other hand, the gas station is always gasoline and sometimes a
wash, so it's easier to deal with AutoFill on those.

Re: turning off auto-fill

sunfish62
Tommy--

My method also has the benefit in your situation of setting up a blank
transaction. Typing "Wal Mart.{BACKSPACE}" will leave Wal Mart in the
transaction, and nothing further. You can split to your heart's content.

On 2/11/07, David T. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My method also has the benefit in your situation of setting up a blank
> transaction. Typing "Wal Mart.{BACKSPACE}" will leave Wal Mart in the
> transaction, and nothing further. You can split to your heart's content.

Ah hah! Until that last message, I missed seeing the period (extra
character) just before you backspace.

So you  type your item followed by an extra keystroke (such as a
period), then backspace.

I will try it! Thank you.