trouble just starting reconciliation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

trouble just starting reconciliation

Hendrik Boom-2
I'm running gnucash 1.8.10, the version that is distributed with Debian
sarge.  I' having trouble with reconciliation of my chequing account.

Specifically, when I *start* reconciling, before I've checked *any*
transactions, the starting balance is different from the reconciled
balance.

How is that possible?  I thought they were both initialized to the sum
of all reconciled transactions so far, and that subsequently, the
reconciled balance would change when you checked off transactions and
the check-marks appeared in the 'R' columns?

Please, tell me how these things *are* computed, so that I can start to
track down the discrepancy.

And I am capable of hand-editing XML files, if that should end up being
necessary (though I haven't done it yet, so that shouldn't be the
trouble).

-- hendrik

 
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: trouble just starting reconciliation -- SOLVED, partially

Hendrik Boom-2
On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 03:40:42PM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:

> I'm running gnucash 1.8.10, the version that is distributed with Debian
> sarge.  I' having trouble with reconciliation of my chequing account.
>
> Specifically, when I *start* reconciling, before I've checked *any*
> transactions, the starting balance is different from the reconciled
> balance.
>
> How is that possible?  I thought they were both initialized to the sum
> of all reconciled transactions so far, and that subsequently, the
> reconciled balance would change when you checked off transactions and
> the check-marks appeared in the 'R' columns?
>
> Please, tell me how these things *are* computed, so that I can start to
> track down the discrepancy.
>
> And I am capable of hand-editing XML files, if that should end up being
> necessary (though I haven't done it yet, so that shouldn't be the
> trouble).


I scrolled through all the transactions one more time, and found a
transaction dated June 30, 2006 with a checkmark.  I unchecked it, and
everything looks to be OK.  I was reconciling a statement from
November, 2005.

Looking in the register for that account, it appears to be marked 'c'
instead of the usual 'y' or 'n'.  That's probably why it comes
prereconciled.  How does something get to be marked 'c'?

-- hendrik
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: trouble just starting reconciliation

Maf. King
In reply to this post by Hendrik Boom-2
On Wednesday 16 August 2006 20:40, [hidden email] wrote:

> I'm running gnucash 1.8.10, the version that is distributed with Debian
> sarge.  I' having trouble with reconciliation of my chequing account.
>
> Specifically, when I *start* reconciling, before I've checked *any*
> transactions, the starting balance is different from the reconciled
> balance.
>
> How is that possible?  I thought they were both initialized to the sum
> of all reconciled transactions so far, and that subsequently, the
> reconciled balance would change when you checked off transactions and
> the check-marks appeared in the 'R' columns?
>
> Please, tell me how these things *are* computed, so that I can start to
> track down the discrepancy.
>
> And I am capable of hand-editing XML files, if that should end up being
> necessary (though I haven't done it yet, so that shouldn't be the
> trouble).
>
> -- hendrik
>
>

Hi Hendrik,

Is it possible that you have inadvertently deleted or altered an already
reconciled transaction - possibly done from the "other" account?

I've done that before, and it has thrown the start/reconciled balances off.

HTH,
Maf.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: trouble just starting reconciliation -- SOLVED, partially

Maf. King
In reply to this post by Hendrik Boom-2
On Wednesday 16 August 2006 21:08, [hidden email] wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 03:40:42PM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:

>
> Looking in the register for that account, it appears to be marked 'c'
> instead of the usual 'y' or 'n'.  That's probably why it comes
> prereconciled.  How does something get to be marked 'c'?
>
> -- hendrik

Hi,

Usually, by clicking in the column.  I tend not to, but IIRC it is intended to
show that the item has "cleared" ie you know about it, and the bank knows
about it, but has yet to appear on a statement.

I think that items with a "c" show in the reconcile window already ticked.

my £0.02

Maf.

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.