translation of nepali not shown

Pawan Chitrakar-2
Dear list,

i am working on gnucash translation to nepali language

when i test the gnucash with the translation string  shows with boxes
and no devanagari character shows up... i am using hoary ubuntu linux

please advice what went wrong

thanks in advance

pawan

Re: translation of nepali not shown

Christian Stimming
Dear Pawan,

you didn't say which version of gnucash you used, but I guess you are
talking about a 1.8.x-Version. The point is that the 1.8.x series is
still gtk1-based, which can be a problem for non-ascii character sets.
In that case, you need to make sure manually that your encoding of the
strings in the po file matches exactly the character encoding that is
set in your environment. If e.g. your newly translated po file has
your LANG environment variable has an utf-8 locale set (e.g.
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8), then all non-ascii characters will show as something
weird or maybe as boxes.

This will change completely in the gnome2 development branch where
everything will be utf-8.

For now (1.8.x series), you need to make sure
1. your po file needs to be in an encoding that works with your
devanagari characters
2. the "Content-Type: " in the header of the po file needs to be set to
that encoding, too
3. before starting gnucash, you need to set LANG into the very same
encoding.

Christian

Pawan Chitrakar schrieb:

> Dear list,
>
> i am working on gnucash translation to nepali language
>
> when i test the gnucash with the translation string  shows with boxes
> and no devanagari character shows up... i am using hoary ubuntu linux
>
> please advice what went wrong
>
> thanks in advance
>
> pawan

Re: translation of nepali not shown

Christian Stimming
Please discuss this *always* on the mailing list, never only with
individual developers.

If you start to work on the gnucash translation, you might want to read
the instruction from http://www.gnucash.org/trans/TRANSLATION_HOWTO ,
which are also included in the source package in doc/TRANSLATION_HOWTO.

But apart from that I have no idea about what might be wrong in your
setup. Sorry for that. Maybe someone else on the mailinglist?

Christian

Pawan Chitrakar schrieb:

> yes i am using gnome 1.8.x
>
> but the encoding i defined is utf-8 both in po file and lang env
>
> so i guess this is not yet supported in GTK1.
>
> so when can i have the newest version...
>
> thank you
>
> On 7/21/05, Christian Stimming <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Dear Pawan,
>>
>>you didn't say which version of gnucash you used, but I guess you are
>>talking about a 1.8.x-Version. The point is that the 1.8.x series is
>>still gtk1-based, which can be a problem for non-ascii character sets.
>>In that case, you need to make sure manually that your encoding of the
>>strings in the po file matches exactly the character encoding that is
>>set in your environment. If e.g. your newly translated po file has
>>your LANG environment variable has an utf-8 locale set (e.g.
>>LANG=en_GB.UTF-8), then all non-ascii characters will show as something
>>weird or maybe as boxes.
>>
>>This will change completely in the gnome2 development branch where
>>everything will be utf-8.
>>
>>For now (1.8.x series), you need to make sure
>>1. your po file needs to be in an encoding that works with your
>>devanagari characters
>>2. the "Content-Type: " in the header of the po file needs to be set to
>>that encoding, too
>>3. before starting gnucash, you need to set LANG into the very same
>>encoding.
>>
>>Christian
>>
>>Pawan Chitrakar schrieb:
>>
>>>Dear list,
>>>
>>>i am working on gnucash translation to nepali language
>>>
>>>when i test the gnucash with the translation string  shows with boxes
>>>and no devanagari character shows up... i am using hoary ubuntu linux
>>>
>>>please advice what went wrong
>>>
>>>thanks in advance
>>>
>>>pawan

Re: translation of nepali not shown