script to automatically assign account

Joshua Daniel Franklin-3
Hello,

I am new to GnuCash and just getting started.
I have a question I haven't been able to find in
the documentation. Say I'm importing my 2005Nov
credit card transactions--is there a way to
script GnuCash so that, for example, transactions
matching SAFEWAY are automatically put into
Expenses:Groceries?

Thanks for a great project.

Re: script to automatically assign account

David Reiser

On Dec 7, 2005, at 6:25 PM, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to GnuCash and just getting started.
> I have a question I haven't been able to find in
> the documentation. Say I'm importing my 2005Nov
> credit card transactions--is there a way to
> script GnuCash so that, for example, transactions
> matching SAFEWAY are automatically put into
> Expenses:Groceries?
>
> Thanks for a great project.

I don't know about scripting, but once you've done one import where
you set the account to Expenses:Groceries, any subsequent import will
use that account as a default. You might have to define it once for
each Safeway you use, since I think they get store numbers included
in the OFX description field.
--
David Reiser

--- David Reiser wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2005, at 6:25 PM, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
> > script GnuCash so that, for example, transactions
> > matching SAFEWAY are automatically put into
> > Expenses:Groceries?
>
> I don't know about scripting, but once you've done one import where
> you set the account to Expenses:Groceries, any subsequent import will
> use that account as a default. You might have to define it once for
> each Safeway you use, since I think they get store numbers included
> in the OFX description field.

OK, I guess I'll have to live with that. I was hoping for something
more customizable since some (stupid) merchants put unique things in
descriptions, for example my bank describes ATM withdrawls as
"ATM/123 Main Banch    1201 O" where 1201 is the month/day; no idea
about the O at the end. Maybe I'll try to run the data through sed
first and strip that out before importing.

Re: script to automatically assign account

Derek Atkins
Quoting Joshua Daniel Franklin <[hidden email]>:

> OK, I guess I'll have to live with that. I was hoping for something
> more customizable since some (stupid) merchants put unique things in
> descriptions, for example my bank describes ATM withdrawls as
> "ATM/123 Main Banch    1201 O" where 1201 is the month/day; no idea
> about the O at the end. Maybe I'll try to run the data through sed
> first and strip that out before importing.

The OFX importer uses Bayesian matching heuristics so it'll notice
that "ATM/123", "Main", and "Banch"[sic] all have a high probability
to point to some particular account.  Unfortunately the QIF importer
still uses an older UI and isn't (yet) integrated into the generic
importer.  So..  If you import OFX it works well.  When you import
QIF it uses the full string.