report config

Eric Angell-2
Hi,

I'm trying to build a report that will show me the total dollar
amount that I've invested in my Roth IRA YTD, so I can easily
figure out how much room I currently have between that total and
the yearly cap.  Clearly I only want to count direct
contributions in this total, not dividends or management fees.

The IRA consists of two mutual funds each obviously have their
own account, and are under a common parent.  Most of the
contributions are transactions between one of those two accounts
and one of my bank accounts, and a transaction report (Gnucash
1.8.10, Debian) shows their total nicely.  The problem comes in
that one of the contributions to each account came directly from
a separate non-IRA fund with the same broker.  Each of these two
transactions has a well-defined dollar amount, but the TX report
insists on showing their value in units of (source) fund shares,
even in the grand total.

If I switch the report accounts and the filter accounts, then
everything is shown in units of the IRA fund shares, which is
also not what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?  The only other report name that looks
potentially applicable is the cash flow report, but that's not
actually anything near like what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

-E

--
I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though
she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about.  I

Re: report config

Michael Vrable-2
On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 09:40:16PM -0700, Eric Angell wrote:
> I'm trying to build a report that will show me the total dollar
> amount that I've invested in my Roth IRA YTD, so I can easily
> figure out how much room I currently have between that total and
> the yearly cap.  Clearly I only want to count direct
> contributions in this total, not dividends or management fees.
[...]
> Any suggestions?  The only other report name that looks
> potentially applicable is the cash flow report, but that's not
> actually anything near like what I'm looking for.

I've used the cash flow report with quite a bit of success for exactly
this purpose; it's just a matter of getting the settings right.  (It
might be that I'm abusing the report, but it does seem to work.)

Open the cash flow report.  As accounts, select all the asset accounts
that make up your IRA.  Then, add in all the income and expense accounts
that you don't want counted as contributions--dividends and management
fees here.

The report should compute cash flowing between selected and non-selected
accounts.  It should ignore transactions entirely among selected
accounts.  This will only work though if you have all the
income/expenses related to your IRA in separate accounts from non-IRA
income/expenses.

--Michael Vrable

Re: report config

Eric Angell-2
On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 23:41:44 -0700, Michael Vrable wrote:

> The report should compute cash flowing between selected and non-selected
> accounts.  It should ignore transactions entirely among selected
> accounts.  This will only work though if you have all the
> income/expenses related to your IRA in separate accounts from non-IRA
> income/expenses.

Hm.  Well, this does seem to do the trick of getting me a total,
though I had to split:

Income:Dividends

into:

Income:Dividends:Roth
Income:Dividends:401k
Income:Dividends:Other

Fortunately, that only involved rearranging about 20 transactions.
Do others think this is a reasonable account tree compatible with
GAAP?  Should I further divide the Roth and 401k accounts into
subaccounts for each relevant fund?

I prefer the transaction report since it shows each of the
relevant transactions (which would let me quickly identify
something that doesn't belong there and recheck the report
options), but it's definitely nice to get the total in dollars.

I've heard various things about several of the reports being
different in the upcoming G2 release - maybe the TX report will
get an option to restrict the currency displayed, or maybe I'll
file an RFE (or attempt Scheme) then.

Thanks!

-E

--