recovering accounting system

L. Wayne
Help!  My computer crashed and I was forced to clean install windows 10.  I do  have backups.  I have loaded Gnucash exe back onto my machine.  However, I can not locate the previous files I had for my accounting.  Where is the data I previously had and how do I “point” my new Gnucash program to this data for recovery?

What are the extensions I am looking for? Where are they likely to be found in the system? How do I bring my “new”  Gnucash to that location so that I can continue my accounting?

Thank you

Larry

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: recovering accounting system

Geert Janssens-4
On dinsdag 8 augustus 2017 18:29:44 CEST L. Wayne wrote:

> Help!  My computer crashed and I was forced to clean install windows 10.  I
> do  have backups.  I have loaded Gnucash exe back onto my machine.
> However, I can not locate the previous files I had for my accounting.
> Where is the data I previously had and how do I “point” my new Gnucash
> program to this data for recovery?
>
> What are the extensions I am looking for? Where are they likely to be found
> in the system? How do I bring my “new”  Gnucash to that location so that I
> can continue my accounting?

Hi,

It's good you made backups! That will simplify the recovery quite a bit!

Gnucash data is simply stored in a file, just like you would save a word or
excel document. The only difference is that gnucash opens the last used file
automatically.

The way to tell gnucash to open that file again is like with any other
program:
- either you double-click on the data file and gnucash will open it (and
remember it for next time)
- you start gnucash, choose File->Open and navigate to your data file
somewhere on your hard drive.

As to where this file may be, that depends entirely on where you saved it when
you first created the file. Gnucash doesn't decide this for you. You have been
asked to the first time where to save it.

If you don't remember, search for files with the '.gnucash' extension on your
backups, which is the normal extension for your gnucash files.

More background can be found in the Concepts and Tutorial guide [1] and in
particular
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/basics-files1.html
or on the gnucash FAQ
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/
FAQ#GnuCash_Files_and_managing_a_GnuCash_installation (and following).

You may also want to recover your settings. Where they are stored is explained
here:
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/basics-migrate-settings.html

[1] http://gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=2.6&lang=C&doc=guide

Re: recovering accounting system

Buddha Buck
As a continuation/clarification of Geert's remarks...

If you do end up doing a search for files with the .gnucash extension, you
will likely see many files with names like
mydata.gnucash.20170324180307.gnucash in addition to mydata.gnucash. The
long ones with the timestamp in the name are backups that gnucash
automatically generates, capturing the state of the transactions at that
timestamp. These are useful for data recovery in case you can't read the
root mydata.gnucash file.

For clarification, "mydata" is arbitrary; you would have given it a name
when you created it that's probably more meaningful than "mydata".

I would not recommend opening up the backup files and using them directly
in gnucash without renaming them first. Otherwise, you'll get backup files
with names like
mydata.gnucash.20170324180307.gnucash.20170806153245.gnucash, and who wants
that?

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 6:22 AM Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On dinsdag 8 augustus 2017 18:29:44 CEST L. Wayne wrote:
> > Help!  My computer crashed and I was forced to clean install windows
> 10.  I
> > do  have backups.  I have loaded Gnucash exe back onto my machine.
> > However, I can not locate the previous files I had for my accounting.
> > Where is the data I previously had and how do I “point” my new Gnucash
> > program to this data for recovery?
> >
> > What are the extensions I am looking for? Where are they likely to be
> found
> > in the system? How do I bring my “new”  Gnucash to that location so that
> > can continue my accounting?
> >
> Hi,
>
> It's good you made backups! That will simplify the recovery quite a bit!
>
> Gnucash data is simply stored in a file, just like you would save a word or
> excel document. The only difference is that gnucash opens the last used
> file
> automatically.
>
> The way to tell gnucash to open that file again is like with any other
> program:
> - either you double-click on the data file and gnucash will open it (and
> remember it for next time)
> - you start gnucash, choose File->Open and navigate to your data file
> somewhere on your hard drive.
>
> As to where this file may be, that depends entirely on where you saved it
> when
> you first created the file. Gnucash doesn't decide this for you. You have
> been
> asked to the first time where to save it.
>
> If you don't remember, search for files with the '.gnucash' extension on
> your
> backups, which is the normal extension for your gnucash files.
>
> More background can be found in the Concepts and Tutorial guide [1] and in
> particular
> https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/basics-files1.html
> or on the gnucash FAQ
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/
> FAQ#GnuCash_Files_and_managing_a_GnuCash_installation (and following).
>

> You may also want to recover your settings. Where they are stored is
> explained
> here:
>
> https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/basics-migrate-settings.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert
>
> [1] http://gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=2.6&lang=C&doc=guide

RE: recovering accounting system

L. Wayne
Thank you all.  I will be trying to apply all of this wisdom sometime later today.

Larry

[1] http://gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=2.6 <http://gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=2.6&lang=C&doc=guide> &lang=C&doc=guide