"Virtual" accounts

Joel Parker-4
I have a single checking account that I use on a daily basis, and is
reflected by an account in Gnucash under Assets.

I have a wedding coming up, and I want to be able to track the assets
and expenses for this separately from the rest of my money, even though
the funds are actually in the same physical checking account.

Right now I just have an Expenses/Wedding account set up, and am putting
money into it with a Debit from my checking account (and taking money
out with a Credit). This means that right now Expenses/Wedding has
-$xxxx, and each payment from that pool of money shows up as $xxx.

This seems like a clumsy solution though. Is there a better way?

--
Joel Konkle-Parker

Re: "Virtual" accounts

Maf. King
On Wednesday 08 Feb 2006 16:50, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
> I have a single checking account that I use on a daily basis, and is
> reflected by an account in Gnucash under Assets.
>
> I have a wedding coming up, and I want to be able to track the assets
> and expenses for this separately from the rest of my money, even though
> the funds are actually in the same physical checking account.

IMHO the best way (in general) is to make GC reflect the real world.

> Right now I just have an Expenses/Wedding account set up, and am putting
> money into it with a Debit from my checking account (and taking money
> out with a Credit). This means that right now Expenses/Wedding has
> -$xxxx, and each payment from that pool of money shows up as $xxx.
>
> This seems like a clumsy solution though. Is there a better way?

One thing you could do in GC is set up a sub-account under your current
account to track money set aside for the wedding.  something like
Assets:Current:WeddingReserve  (A:C:W)

Then when you buy something, you transfer from A:C:W to Expenses:Wedding, and
when (if!) someone gifts you money to expenses, you transfer from
Income:Wedding to A:C:W

When you reconcile your current account, remember to check the "include
sub-accounts" option on the reconcile window

HTH, and best wishes for your happy day!
Maf.