"System error while retrieving price quotes"

"System error while retrieving price quotes"

Oliver Iberien-2
Hi,

Price quotes in GnuCash 1.8.9, SuSE 9.1, compiled from source, have suddenly
stopped working after ten months. GnuCash puts up an error stating "System
error while retrieving price quotes." Running it in debug for some reason
does not even show this failure happening or the posting of the error
message, so I don't know where to begin. I don't see anything in the archives
about this. Can someone help? Thanks.

Oliver

Re: "System error while retrieving price quotes"

Oliver Iberien-2
I sent this earlier in the day... I ran the price quote update while logging
at loglevel 4. The price quote retrieval still crapped out, but there was
nothing in the log that was to my untrained eye intelligible as an error
message. I have no clue what is going on, as there has been no change to my
system since yesterday, the last time this worked.

Is there any chance that upgrading to the current version of GnuCash would
help? And if so... I originally compiled from source. I can't find any
description of the upgrade procedure in the archives or anywhere on the web.
The upgrade procedure may be screamingly obvious to a lot of people, but I
don't want to experiment and risk losing all my data. Could someone kindly
point me to a description of it?

On Tuesday 18 October 2005 02:54 pm, Oliver D. Iberien wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Price quotes in GnuCash 1.8.9, SuSE 9.1, compiled from source, have
> suddenly stopped working after ten months. GnuCash puts up an error stating
> "System error while retrieving price quotes." Running it in debug for some
> reason does not even show this failure happening or the posting of the
> error message, so I don't know where to begin. I don't see anything in the
> archives about this. Can someone help? Thanks.
>
> Oliver

F::Q issues [WAS: "System error while retrieving price quotes"]

Stewart Wright
G'day Oliver,

* Oliver D. Iberien <[hidden email]> [051019 00:21]:
> I sent this earlier in the day... I ran the price quote update while logging
> at loglevel 4. The price quote retrieval still crapped out, but there was
> nothing in the log that was to my untrained eye intelligible as an error
> message. I have no clue what is going on, as there has been no change to my
> system since yesterday, the last time this worked.

I think this is something to do with the where Finance::Quote goes to
get it's information (GnuCash uses Finance::Quote which then access
some websites).

I've been trying to get currency prices since yesterday
unsuccessfully.

Do any of the F::Q authors have any thoughts???
(I guess David and Linus are still on the list somewhere?)

Cheers,

S.

Re: "System error while retrieving price quotes"

Andrew Sackville-West

Oliver D. Iberien wrote:

> I sent this earlier in the day... I ran the price quote update while logging
> at loglevel 4. The price quote retrieval still crapped out, but there was
> nothing in the log that was to my untrained eye intelligible as an error
> message. I have no clue what is going on, as there has been no change to my
> system since yesterday, the last time this worked.
>
> Is there any chance that upgrading to the current version of GnuCash would
> help? And if so... I originally compiled from source. I can't find any
> description of the upgrade procedure in the archives or anywhere on the web.
> The upgrade procedure may be screamingly obvious to a lot of people, but I
> don't want to experiment and risk losing all my data. Could someone kindly
> point me to a description of it?

As far as I know, there is no "upgrade" of a compiled gnucash. You
should simply download the source for the version you want (current
stable is 1.8.11 which is "gnucash-1-8-branch" from cvs. download
instructions are at http://www.gnucash.org/en/hacking.phtml

if you are concerned about having it compile properly etc then I suggest
you use the opt-style-install to put the executables in its own
directory. THis iwll keep it from overwriting your current installation.
Try this:

./autogen.sh --enable-opt-style-install --prefix=<your chosen
destination here>

of course you can put whatever other options you need such as
--enable-ofx etc.

then make and sudo make install. The enable-opt* and the prefix=* flags
tell it to INSTALL to the specified directory.

This however probably doesn't solve your problem. I can only imagine
that *something* has changed on your system from one day to the next. Do
you have some kind of cronjob that updates your system maybe?

> On Tuesday 18 October 2005 02:54 pm, Oliver D. Iberien wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Price quotes in GnuCash 1.8.9, SuSE 9.1, compiled from source, have
>>suddenly stopped working after ten months. GnuCash puts up an error stating
>>"System error while retrieving price quotes." Running it in debug for some
>>reason does not even show this failure happening or the posting of the
>>error message, so I don't know where to begin. I don't see anything in the
>>archives about this. Can someone help? Thanks.
>>
>>Oliver

Re: F::Q issues [WAS: "System error while retrieving price quotes"]

Oliver Iberien-2
> I think this is something to do with the where Finance::Quote goes to
> get it's information (GnuCash uses Finance::Quote which then access
> some websites).
>
> I've been trying to get currency prices since yesterday
> unsuccessfully.

So it's not just me? Thank you very much for posting that. I installed the
latest versions of GnuCash and Finance::Quote, and reinstalled guile, all to
no effect, so it comes as a great relief to know that it's probably not my
machine. I'll be eagerly watching this list to see if anyone has any answers,
or, at least, the same problem.

Oliver

Re: F::Q issues [WAS: "System error while retrieving price quotes"]

David Hampton-2
On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 10:12 -0500, Stewart V. Wright wrote:
> I think this is something to do with the where Finance::Quote goes to
> get it's information (GnuCash uses Finance::Quote which then access
> some websites).

Gnucash is saying that it received an error exception while running
Finance::Quote to retrieve data.

> I've been trying to get currency prices since yesterday
> unsuccessfully.

Does the dump-finance-quote program return valid data?  Please try it
for each data source that you use.

Re: F::Q issues [WAS: "System error while retrieving price quotes"]

Oliver Iberien-2
Here's the answer:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1331991&group_id=4232&atid=104232

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 10:47 am, Oliver D. Iberien wrote:

> > I think this is something to do with the where Finance::Quote goes to
> > get it's information (GnuCash uses Finance::Quote which then access
> > some websites).
> >
> > I've been trying to get currency prices since yesterday
> > unsuccessfully.
>
> So it's not just me? Thank you very much for posting that. I installed the
> latest versions of GnuCash and Finance::Quote, and reinstalled guile, all
> to no effect, so it comes as a great relief to know that it's probably not
> my machine. I'll be eagerly watching this list to see if anyone has any
> answers, or, at least, the same problem.
>
> Oliver

Re: F::Q issues [WAS: "System error while retrieving price quotes"]

Stewart Wright
G'day David,

> > I've been trying to get currency prices since yesterday
> > unsuccessfully.
>
> Does the dump-finance-quote program return valid data?  Please try it
> for each data source that you use.

I'm having failures with the example currency-lookup script...  :-(

Should we take this to the Sourcefourge page?

Cheers,

S.

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 13:32 -0500, Stewart V. Wright wrote:
> G'day David,
>
> > > I've been trying to get currency prices since yesterday
> > > unsuccessfully.
> >
> > Does the dump-finance-quote program return valid data?  Please try it
> > for each data source that you use.
>
> I'm having failures with the example currency-lookup script...  :-(

You mean something like this:

  echo '(currency "USD" "AUD")' | finance-quote-helper

I get no data back from this command.  I poked around briefly an it
appears that Yahoo has changed the currency portion of their website.
Its not as simple as just switching to a new url.  The web pages have
been redesigned as well.  I'll have to update F::Q to understand the
changes.  It will be a couple of days before I can get around to it.
This is a crazy busy week for me.