"Hidden" option in the accounts edit window DANGEROUS -- don't use it

"Hidden" option in the accounts edit window DANGEROUS -- don't use it

Ken Heard-2

Re: "Hidden" option in the accounts edit window DANGEROUS -- don't use it

GnuCash - User mailing list
Ken,

Not a bug.

From Chart of Accounts:

View->Filter By (Other) Show Hidden Accounts

Cheers,
David

Liz

Re: "Hidden" option in the accounts edit window - ask before panicking

Liz
On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 13:18:05 +0700
Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In my accounts list I have a few accounts which I no longer use but
> still have entries in them.  I thought that I could use the "hidden"
> option and so ease use of the accounts tree.
>
> I discovered to my chagrin that there is no way to "unhide" any
> account that has been hidden.  While those accounts are forever gone
> from view they still exist.  Their balances are still used in adding
> up the totals for placeholder accounts, so that placeholder account
> balances will no longer be the total of the balances in accounts on
> view in the placeholder tree.
>
> I consider this situation sufficiently dangerous to prohibit use of
> the hidden option and to merit a bug report.
>
> Regards, Ken Heard

1. look at the Accounts tab
2. Go to the View Menu
3. Go to filter accounts by
4. Go to the tab "Other"
5. Put a little tick in the box "show hidden accounts".
6. RELAX

Liz

Re: "Hidden" option in the accounts edit window DANGEROUS -- don't use it

> On Feb 18, 2017, at 11:18 AM, Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In my accounts list I have a few accounts which I no longer use but
> still have entries in them.  I thought that I could use the "hidden"
> option and so ease use of the accounts tree.
>
> I discovered to my chagrin that there is no way to "unhide" any
> account that has been hidden.  While those accounts are forever gone
> from view they still exist.  Their balances are still used in adding
> up the totals for placeholder accounts, so that placeholder account
> balances will no longer be the total of the balances in accounts on
> view in the placeholder tree.
>
> I consider this situation sufficiently dangerous to prohibit use of
> the hidden option and to merit a bug report.
>
> Regards, Ken Heard

Ken,

I also tend not to hide accounts that have balances in them, for the reason you note regarding balances. What sorts of accounts are you hiding, and why?

Re: "Hidden" option in the accounts edit window DANGEROUS -- don't use it

Ken Heard-2

Re: "Hidden" option in the accounts edit window DANGEROUS -- don't use it

Mike or Penny Novack-3
On 2/18/2017 4:53 AM, Ken Heard wrote:

> GnuCash does not have an annual transfer of balances in revenue and
> expense accounts to a profit and loss account.  If it did these
> accounts could be safely deleted.

It does if you want it to. Just because most of us are not doing a
"close the books" operation does not mean that gnucash does not support
this << either manually** or with the built in "close" facility >>

Michael D Novack

** I feel I have to include that because you described going through a
"profit and loss" account as an intermediate on the way to equity << P&L
is a temporary account of fundamental type equity >>  I believe that the
built in facility will go directly to equity.

Year end options

Ken Heard-2

Re: "Hidden" option in the accounts edit window DANGEROUS -- don't use it

Ken Heard-2

Re: "Hidden" option in the accounts edit window DANGEROUS -- don't use it

Colin Law
On 18 February 2017 at 15:02, Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks to David T. and Liz for answering my question.  I must say
> however that it never occurred to me to look in the View menu specific
> to the account tab for "the show hidden files" option; nor do I think
> that the average person would look there.  THAT is the bug.

Software has a bug when it is not functioning as the designer
intended.  What you are asking for is an enhancement not a bug fix.

Colin

Re: "Hidden" option in the accounts edit window DANGEROUS -- don't use it

Geert Janssens-4
Op zaterdag 18 februari 2017 15:25:52 CET schreef Colin Law:

> On 18 February 2017 at 15:02, Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks to David T. and Liz for answering my question.  I must say
> > however that it never occurred to me to look in the View menu specific
> > to the account tab for "the show hidden files" option; nor do I think
> > that the average person would look there.  THAT is the bug.
>
> Software has a bug when it is not functioning as the designer
> intended.  What you are asking for is an enhancement not a bug fix.

But a good enhancement request IMO.

Ken, can you please file this in either bugzilla (as an enchancement request)
[1] or on uservoice as a feature request ? Suggestions like this on the
mailing list tend to get lost.

[1] Refer to http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bugzilla to learn how to use
bugzilla
[2] https://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request

Op zondag 19 februari 2017 09:57:24 CET schreef Ken Heard:

> On 2017-02-19 04:11, Geert Janssens wrote:

> > Ken, can you please file this in either bugzilla (as an
> > enchancement request) [1] or on uservoice as a feature request ?
> > Suggestions like this on the mailing list tend to get lost.
>
> I have filed and enhancement "bug" in bugzilla, but I wonder why I
> should bother.  Two enhancement "bugs" I filed in 2009 have yet to be
> accepted.

Thanks. The purpose is quite simply to keep a record of good suggestions and
real bugs. Our active development team is pretty small so it's unfortunately
true some requests stay open for a very long time.

The request you have reported now should be relatively easy to implement. So
if someone is looking for an opportunity to start contributing, this could be
a good entry point :)

> Regards, Ken

Enhancement "bugzillas"

Ken Heard-2

Re : Year end options

cageda
Hi!

Sorry I'm reacting a bit late.
This is exactly what I've bean meaning to ask.
I've been using GC for 8 years now and I'd like to keep only the entries of
the current year and say the former or the two former readily available,
with all the rest saved separately in a place I can access them if
(unlikely) I need them.
From what you guys are saying it seems GC can do that. Can you give the
procedure  pls?

Alain