qif import missing stock prices

Steve Kelem-3
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.  You can do this by using "Reply-To-List" or "Reply-All".
I imported all my accounts and transactions into GnuCash, and all the
stock history is missing.
How can I import historical stock prices?

Thanks,
Steve

Re: qif import missing stock prices

Derek Atkins
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.  You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

-----

Quoting Steve Kelem <[hidden email]>:

> I imported all my accounts and transactions into GnuCash, and all the
> stock history is missing.

The importer doesn't hand stock quotes.

> How can I import historical stock prices?

Write a script to download them from yahoo?   I honestly don't know
of a good way offhand.

> Thanks,
> Steve

Re: qif import missing stock prices

Steve Kelem-3
It looks like there are two steps that I need help in:

1. How to download prices for stocks on a certain date. Finance::Quote
seems to work on only the current prices. There must be a way
to get historical prices for stocks & bonds.

2. Once I get the prices, how to import them into gnucash. There are too
many to input one at a time. It looks like I could hack the .xac file,
but this seems like something that many people would like to do, so a
more general solution would be a good thing.
What are the available mechanisms?  Do I have to learn postgresql? Write
a Perl script? Learn guile?

Please advise,
Thanks,
Steve

Derek Atkins said the following on 1/6/2006 1:56 PM:

> Quoting Steve Kelem <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I imported all my accounts and transactions into GnuCash, and all the
>> stock history is missing.
>
> The importer doesn't hand stock quotes.
>
>> How can I import historical stock prices?
>
> Write a script to download them from yahoo?   I honestly don't know
> of a good way offhand.
>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve

Re: importing historical quotes into gnucash

Steve Kelem-3
Steve Kelem said the following on 2/1/2006 10:16 AM:

> It looks like there are two steps that I need help in:
>
> 1. How to download prices for stocks on a certain date. Finance::Quote
> seems to work on only the current prices. There must be a way
> to get historical prices for stocks & bonds.

I found Finance::QuoteHist.  This module will download historical
quotes, splits, and dividends.

I still need to know how to do the following.  Can anyone point me to
some documentation?

Thanks,
Steve

> 2. Once I get the prices, how to import them into gnucash. There are
> too many to input one at a time. It looks like I could hack the .xac
> file,
> but this seems like something that many people would like to do, so a
> more general solution would be a good thing.
> What are the available mechanisms?  Do I have to learn postgresql?
> Write a Perl script? Learn guile?
>
> Please advise,
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> Derek Atkins said the following on 1/6/2006 1:56 PM:
>
>> Quoting Steve Kelem <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> I imported all my accounts and transactions into GnuCash, and all
>>> the stock history is missing.
>>
>> The importer doesn't hand stock quotes.
>>
>>> How can I import historical stock prices?
>>
>> Write a script to download them from yahoo?   I honestly don't know
>> of a good way offhand.
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Steve
>>
>> -derek

Re: importing historical quotes into gnucash

David Hampton-2
On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 13:34 -0800, Steve Kelem wrote:

> Steve Kelem said the following on 2/1/2006 10:16 AM:
>
> > It looks like there are two steps that I need help in:
> >
> > 1. How to download prices for stocks on a certain date. Finance::Quote
> > seems to work on only the current prices. There must be a way
> > to get historical prices for stocks & bonds.
>
> I found Finance::QuoteHist.  This module will download historical
> quotes, splits, and dividends.
>
> I still need to know how to do the following.  Can anyone point me to
> some documentation?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> > 2. Once I get the prices, how to import them into gnucash. There are
> > too many to input one at a time. It looks like I could hack the .xac
> > file,
> > but this seems like something that many people would like to do, so a
> > more general solution would be a good thing.
> > What are the available mechanisms?  Do I have to learn postgresql?
> > Write a Perl script? Learn guile?

You can either convert the quotes into XML and add them to your data
file, or you could extend gnucash to support retrieving historical
quotes as well as current quotes.  This could all be done with C, glade,
and Perl.  No need to learn guile.  (The current quote support does use
guile code, but I hope to rewrite it into C after the 2.0 release.)

David Hampton said the following on 2/1/2006 3:07 PM:
[...]

I call that "hacking", which, I'm willing to do.  Is there a spec for the XML that gnucash uses?

Thanks,
Steve

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 14:43 -0800, Steve Kelem wrote:
> David Hampton said the following on 2/1/2006 3:07 PM:

> > You can either convert the quotes into XML and add them to your data
> > file,
> I call that "hacking", which, I'm willing to do.  Is there a spec for
> the XML that gnucash uses?

Not that I'm aware of.  Look at a <price> element in your data file.
The hard part will be generating unique guid numbers.

David Hampton said the following on 2/2/2006 4:03 PM:
On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 14:43 -0800, Steve Kelem wrote:

David Hampton said the following on 2/1/2006 3:07 PM:

You can either convert the quotes into XML and add them to your data
file,

I call that "hacking", which, I'm willing to do.  Is there a spec for
the XML that gnucash uses?

Not that I'm aware of.  Look at a <price> element in your data file.
The hard part will be generating unique guid numbers.

David
That's the kind of info I would like to know about.  What's a guid number?  What's the range?  Does it just have to be unique in the file? Can I generate any number that's not already in that file?

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 16:56 -0800, Steve Kelem wrote:

> That's the kind of info I would like to know about.  What's a guid
> number?

Globally Unique IDentifier.

> What's the range?

0 to 2**128 - 1.

> Does it just have to be unique in the file? Can I generate any number
> that's not already in that file?

Yes and Yes.

Re: importing historical quotes into gnucash

Derrick Hudson
On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 04:56:43PM -0800, Steve Kelem wrote:
|    David Hampton said the following on 2/2/2006 4:03 PM:

|  The hard part will be generating unique guid numbers.

|    That's the kind of info I would like to know about.  What's a guid
|    number?

Globally Unique IDentifier

|    What's the range?  Does it just have to be unique in the file?
|    Can I generate any number that's not already in that file?

You'll want to ensure that any number you generate will not be created
later by gnucash's own algorithm.  There are programs and libraries
that claim to be able to correctly produce unique identifiers.  I
haven't worked with any of them, but a quick search with apt-cache
turns up the following:
    uuid-dev - universally unique id library - headers and static libraries
    uuid - OSSP uuid
    uuidcdef - Universally Unique Identifier (UUID) generator

HTH,
-D

not sure about the former.
        Albert Einstein

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: [hidden email]

Re: importing historical quotes into gnucash

Lincoln A Baxter
On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 19:03 -0500, David Hampton wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 14:43 -0800, Steve Kelem wrote:
[snip]
> Not that I'm aware of.  Look at a <price> element in your data file.
> The hard part will be generating unique guid numbers.

If you have e2fsprogs on your system, the chances are good you
have /bin/uuidgen.

        # /bin/uuidgen
        bc60b372-9b8e-40cf-bf03-11ddfcdde026

Lincoln

"Lincoln A. Baxter" <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 19:03 -0500, David Hampton wrote:
>> On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 14:43 -0800, Steve Kelem wrote:
> [snip]
>> Not that I'm aware of.  Look at a <price> element in your data file.
>> The hard part will be generating unique guid numbers.
>
> If you have e2fsprogs on your system, the chances are good you
> have /bin/uuidgen.
>
>         # /bin/uuidgen
>         bc60b372-9b8e-40cf-bf03-11ddfcdde026

Just make sure you remove the dashes when you use these strings.
The Gnucash GUID is a pure hex string.

  uuidgen | sed -e 's/-//g'

Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> Not that I'm aware of.  Look at a <price> element in your data file.
>>> The hard part will be generating unique guid numbers.
>>
>> If you have e2fsprogs on your system, the chances are good you
>> have /bin/uuidgen.
>>
>>         # /bin/uuidgen
>>         bc60b372-9b8e-40cf-bf03-11ddfcdde026
>
> Just make sure you remove the dashes when you use these strings.
> The Gnucash GUID is a pure hex string.
>
>   uuidgen | sed -e 's/-//g'

Or you can use the gnucash-make-guids script...

[warlord@cliodev src]$ /opt/gnucash-svn/bin/gnucash-make-guids 1
77788d12de345eb51e7030b83290cb5a