qif files

Meg Lucas
I get an error message when I try to import my quicken accounts
created with Quicken deluxe 2001.The message reads "qif file load
failed:File does not appear to be a qif file".  Any suggestions?

Meg

Re: qif files

Andrew Sackville-West
can you provide a few lines of the .qif file?

IIRC, the import of just accounts doesn't work, but if you import
transactions, the accounts will be created as part of the import.

Meg Lucas wrote:

> I get an error message when I try to import my quicken accounts  created
> with Quicken deluxe 2001.The message reads "qif file load  failed:File
> does not appear to be a qif file".  Any suggestions?
>
> Meg

Re: qif files

Andrew Sackville-West
Meg, please cc: the list on all replies.

Meg Lucas wrote:
> I'm not sure how to open the Accounts file to send you a few lines or
> to import individual transactions.

When you export from quicken, select Transactions in the export window.
to view the .qif file, just open it with any text editor, you can cut
and paste a section in to the email.

I'm interested in seeing the header portion, that is the first few lines
of the file and maybe one transaction.

since you seem to be online right now, try jumping over to #gnucash on IRC.

Andrew

> Meg

Re: qif files

David Reiser
If you open the reputed qif file in a text editor, what is the first
line?

Hard to believe that Quicken itself doesn't create a standard qif,
but anyway, when I've had trouble with qif imports it was because the
creating program left off the first line. I think gnucash is
expecting something like:

!Type:Bank

as its first line. (Maybe CCard or other account type instead of Bank.)

Dave
On Aug 25, 2005, at 1:01 PM, Meg Lucas wrote:

> I get an error message when I try to import my quicken accounts
> created with Quicken deluxe 2001.The message reads "qif file load
> failed:File does not appear to be a qif file".  Any suggestions?
>
> Meg

Re: qif files

Andrew Sackville-West
Meg, I think that is the quicken file and not the .qif exported file.

We're looking for the .qif file that is generated by exporting from
quicken. I think its File-> Export -> ?? and it should pop up a window
that allowsyou to select a variety of options (doing this from memory)
like whether to export Accounts or Categories, transactions etc. select
Transactions, set a date range and so forth. It should prompt you for a
file name to export to, use what you like, it should end in .qif. Then
open THAT file and send a few lines (or try importing it as it seems
you're not using the right file?)

what are you using for text editor? is that gobbledy-gook from word or
something? use wordpad or notepad in windows or anything in *nix.
HTH

Andrew

Re: qif files

Meg Lucas
Hi Andrew,

what does "try jumping over to #gnucash on IRC" mean?

Meg

Re: qif files

Andrew Sackville-West

IRC = Internet Relay Chat

#gnucash is the GnuCash dedicated chat channel on IRC, host name
irc.gnome.org.

its online chatting related to gnucash. you can access it through a
program like XChat or any number of others. there are always people
hanging out online willing to help talk you through a problem. Channel
is sometimes slow to respond, but people get around to it.

Meg Lucas wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> what does "try jumping over to #gnucash on IRC" mean?
>
> Meg

Re: qif files

Meg Lucas

I'm using osx tiger text editor, I thought it looked pretty weird
too.  I'll try to export the file, you are probably right, it is at
the export exec that it creates a qif file.  Unfortunately os9.2.2 is
giving me all sorts of problems and quicken won't run on it (it's the
only version of quicken I have). One reason I'm trying gnucash is to
get away from the 9.2 environment.  Thanks, I'll figure it out from
here and get back to you if I must.

Meg