problem with exchange rates

Manish Bhatia
Hi
  I just moved all my financial records from MS money to gnucash.  I am
using accounts with two currencies - USD and INR.  My transactions - money
transfer between the USD and INR accounts - use an exchange rate of 1 USD
equals 45 to 47 INR.  Everything looks fine on the Accounts page.  However,
when I look at the Account Summary report - the number are messed up as
gnucash is using 1 INR = 0.09865 USD instead of 1INR = 0.022 USD.

  I looked at the price editor for the different values of INR - USD
exchange rate it has.  It says that it gets transactions in gnucash - and
all the values specified there are in the correct range: 1USD = 45-47 INR.
I'm not able to figure out why gnucash uses a different exachange rate for
the Account Summary report (and in fact for all other reports as well).

  Any help with this is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Manish

Re: problem with exchange rates

Derek Atkins
"Manish Bhatia" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi
>  I just moved all my financial records from MS money to gnucash.  I am
> using accounts with two currencies - USD and INR.  My transactions - money
> transfer between the USD and INR accounts - use an exchange rate of 1 USD
> equals 45 to 47 INR.  Everything looks fine on the Accounts page.  However,
> when I look at the Account Summary report - the number are messed up as
> gnucash is using 1 INR = 0.09865 USD instead of 1INR = 0.022 USD.
>
>  I looked at the price editor for the different values of INR - USD
> exchange rate it has.  It says that it gets transactions in gnucash - and
> all the values specified there are in the correct range: 1USD = 45-47 INR.
> I'm not able to figure out why gnucash uses a different exachange rate for
> the Account Summary report (and in fact for all other reports as well).
>
>  Any help with this is highly appreciated.

Which pricing method are you using in the report?  (Check the report
Options).  Try changing the pricing method in the report options to
see if the other options work any better for you.

If the values work out in your chart of accounts then the system
is working fine in general.. it's just a question of the report.