Quantcast

portfolio accounting and budget report

Robert Hoogendoorn
Hi,

I am using version 2.6.16 and I have a couple of questions:

1. I am playing around with GNU and although I have not used the multi
currency feature yet, I was wondering why my cash balance is reflected in
the Profit and Loss under the header Trading currency (see report Profit
and Loss 05_03_2017).
2. As well in the same report under the header Trading AMEX the market
value appears in stead of the unrealized gain/loss. Why is this?
3. Also in the same report, should there not be a an account with the
realized gains and losses?
4. Same report. It appears that a negative total in the Profit and Loss is
perceived as a "Net Loss for the Period" as mentioned on the last line of
this report, while it should be a Profit. Please advice?
5. As you can see on the Transaction report 05_01_2017 to 05_04_2017 I have
made a Lots Sell1 of R$1 on 05_03_2017, however the advanced portfolio
report only takes the sale into account on 05_04_2017 and does not reflect
this sale on 05_03_2017. See reports Advanced Portfolio 05_03_2017 and
05_04_2017. On these report the holding is 1010 shares on 05_04_2017 and
1260 on 05_03_2017. So the sale of 250 shares on 05_03_2017 is not taken
into account. I believe the sell of 250 shares should be taken into account
on the report of 05_03_2017. Please advice? The balance sheet as in report
Multi column view 05_03_2017 and 05_04_2017 shows the correct number of
shares.

Some reporting suggestions outstanding:

The report named Budget report:
1. As this is a multi currency system normally a budget is made before an
accounting period with an estimated currency rate. It appears that the
current report is not multi currency and only shows it in one currency. Can
this be changed so a currency rate specifically for the budget can be used
while the realized number uses the actual currency rate?
2. The (sub)totals appear above the amounts while it would be great if we
can have the option to reflect them below the summarized numbers. The
Balance sheet report has such a feature and that seems to work.

Kind regards,
Robert

Multicolumn View--05_03_2017 and 05_04_2017.pdf (80K) Download Attachment
Profit & Loss--05_04_2017.pdf (66K) Download Attachment
Profit & Loss--05_03_2017.pdf (66K) Download Attachment
Advanced Portfolio--05_04_2017.pdf (66K) Download Attachment
Advanced Portfolio--05_03_2017.pdf (65K) Download Attachment
Transaction Report--05_01_2017 to 05_04_2017.pdf (113K) Download Attachment

Fwd: portfolio accounting and budget report

Robert Hoogendoorn
Hi,

Is there someone who can help me with the below?

Kind regards,
Robert

Advanced Portfolio--05_03_2017.pdf (65K) Download Attachment
Transaction Report--05_01_2017 to 05_04_2017.pdf (113K) Download Attachment

Re: portfolio accounting and budget report

Adrien Monteleone
Robert,

Someone who uses the trading accounts on a daily basis might offer better advice, but I’ll take a stab at it.

> On May 15, 2017, at 10:52 PM, Robert Hoogendoorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am using version 2.6.16 and I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. I am playing around with GNU and although I have not used the multi
> currency feature yet, I was wondering why my cash balance is reflected in
> the Profit and Loss under the header Trading currency (see report Profit
> and Loss 05_03_2017).

Your cash balance is reflected in the Assets Section on the Balance Sheet, not the P&L. It looks like you made securities purchases from the bank account that started with a zero balance, so it shows up as a negative in the Balance Sheet.

For the Profit & Loss statement, my first inclination is that this book has no regular transactions in it, only trading transactions. You show zero revenues and expenses so there’s nothing else to report. Once you realize a gain or loss, then you book it to income accounts and it will show up there instead.

> 2. As well in the same report under the header Trading AMEX the market
> value appears in stead of the unrealized gain/loss. Why is this?

It is showing you the unrealized gain or loss, but not in a single account because it is calculated for informational purposes only. An actual gain or loss would have an account and show up in one place. Your unrealized gain or loss isn’t the performance of a single security (though such a report might be possible) but the difference between changes in price since purchase reflected in your asset accounts.

> 3. Also in the same report, should there not be a an account with the
> realized gains and losses?

Yes, if you entered transactions to book the gain/loss to such an account under your income accounts.

> 4. Same report. It appears that a negative total in the Profit and Loss is
> perceived as a "Net Loss for the Period" as mentioned on the last line of
> this report, while it should be a Profit. Please advice?

This might have something to do with your “reversed balance accounts” setting, but a negative total from the result of Income - Expenses does mean a loss, yes. And from the looks of the report, you had zero revenue and a (unrealized) loss from trading, so that seems to make sense. If you had actual gains, those needed to be recorded into your income accounts. If this were a realized loss, you’d have a transaction booking that to income and so your P&L would show negative Income with zero Expenses and thus a Net Loss for Period without the trading accounts section. (assuming you had liquidated all securities)

> 5. As you can see on the Transaction report 05_01_2017 to 05_04_2017 I have
> made a Lots Sell1 of R$1 on 05_03_2017, however the advanced portfolio
> report only takes the sale into account on 05_04_2017 and does not reflect
> this sale on 05_03_2017. See reports Advanced Portfolio 05_03_2017 and
> 05_04_2017. On these report the holding is 1010 shares on 05_04_2017 and
> 1260 on 05_03_2017. So the sale of 250 shares on 05_03_2017 is not taken
> into account. I believe the sell of 250 shares should be taken into account
> on the report of 05_03_2017. Please advice? The balance sheet as in report
> Multi column view 05_03_2017 and 05_04_2017 shows the correct number of
> shares.

On first glance that does seem odd. I’ll let someone more familiar with using the report chime in on that one.

> Some reporting suggestions outstanding:
>
> The report named Budget report:
> 1. As this is a multi currency system normally a budget is made before an
> accounting period with an estimated currency rate. It appears that the
> current report is not multi currency and only shows it in one currency. Can
> this be changed so a currency rate specifically for the budget can be used
> while the realized number uses the actual currency rate?

This should be filed as enhancement or feature requests. It would certainly make the budget more useful to also be multi-currency.

> 2. The (sub)totals appear above the amounts while it would be great if we
> can have the option to reflect them below the summarized numbers. The
> Balance sheet report has such a feature and that seems to work.

Yes, it would be helpful if the Budget Report had the same Display Options as other reports with respect to Subtotals, again, another enhancement request.

Hope that helps some,

Adrien

> Kind regards,
> Robert
> <Multicolumn View--05_03_2017 and 05_04_2017.pdf><Profit & Loss--05_04_2017.pdf><Profit & Loss--05_03_2017.pdf><Advanced Portfolio--05_04_2017.pdf><Advanced Portfolio--05_03_2017.pdf><Transaction Report--05_01_2017 to 05_04_2017.pdf>_______________________________________________

Re: portfolio accounting and budget report

Robert Hoogendoorn
Adrien,

Thank for looking into this. I have replied below marked in "red".

Kind regards,
Robert

> On May 15, 2017, at 10:52 PM, Robert Hoogendoorn <[hidden email]>

> I am using version 2.6.16 and I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. I am playing around with GNU and although I have not used the multi
> currency feature yet, I was wondering why my cash balance is reflected in
> the Profit and Loss under the header Trading currency (see report Profit
> and Loss 05_03_2017).

Your cash balance is reflected in the Assets Section on the Balance Sheet,
not the P&L. It looks like you made securities purchases from the bank
account that started with a zero balance, so it shows up as a negative in
the Balance Sheet.

For the Profit & Loss statement, my first inclination is that this book has
no regular transactions in it, only trading transactions. You show zero
revenues and expenses so there’s nothing else to report. Once you realize a
gain or loss, then you book it to income accounts and it will show up there
instead.

RHO: I understand that my cash balance is an assets. I indeed purchased
securities with a zero balance.

Regarding the Profit and Loss. Do I understand you correctly and are the
"Trading Accounts" merely a place were temporary balances are stores which
need to re-booked manually to another Income/expense account?

> 2. As well in the same report under the header Trading AMEX the market
> value appears in stead of the unrealized gain/loss. Why is this?

It is showing you the unrealized gain or loss, but not in a single account
because it is calculated for informational purposes only. An actual gain or
loss would have an account and show up in one place. Your unrealized gain
or loss isn’t the performance of a single security (though such a report
might be possible) but the difference between changes in price since
purchase reflected in your asset accounts.

RHO: Thanks, I will review this again.

> 3. Also in the same report, should there not be a an account with the
> realized gains and losses?

Yes, if you entered transactions to book the gain/loss to such an account
under your income accounts.

RHO: So realized gains/losses are not automatically booked to your P&L, but
only on scrubbing the account?

> 4. Same report. It appears that a negative total in the Profit and Loss is
> perceived as a "Net Loss for the Period" as mentioned on the last line of
> this report, while it should be a Profit. Please advice?

This might have something to do with your “reversed balance accounts”
setting, but a negative total from the result of Income - Expenses does
mean a loss, yes. And from the looks of the report, you had zero revenue
and a (unrealized) loss from trading, so that seems to make sense. If you
had actual gains, those needed to be recorded into your income accounts. If
this were a realized loss, you’d have a transaction booking that to income
and so your P&L would show negative Income with zero Expenses and thus a
Net Loss for Period without the trading accounts section. (assuming you had
liquidated all securities)

RHO: Thanks, I will review this again.

> 5. As you can see on the Transaction report 05_01_2017 to 05_04_2017 I
have
> made a Lots Sell1 of R$1 on 05_03_2017, however the advanced portfolio
> report only takes the sale into account on 05_04_2017 and does not reflect
> this sale on 05_03_2017. See reports Advanced Portfolio 05_03_2017 and
> 05_04_2017. On these report the holding is 1010 shares on 05_04_2017 and
> 1260 on 05_03_2017. So the sale of 250 shares on 05_03_2017 is not taken
> into account. I believe the sell of 250 shares should be taken into
account
> on the report of 05_03_2017. Please advice? The balance sheet as in report
> Multi column view 05_03_2017 and 05_04_2017 shows the correct number of
> shares.

On first glance that does seem odd. I’ll let someone more familiar with
using the report chime in on that one.

RHO: Looking forward to hear from the someone else, as I am using this
report at this moment.

> Some reporting suggestions outstanding:
>
> The report named Budget report:
> 1. As this is a multi currency system normally a budget is made before an
> accounting period with an estimated currency rate. It appears that the
> current report is not multi currency and only shows it in one currency.
Can
> this be changed so a currency rate specifically for the budget can be used
> while the realized number uses the actual currency rate?

This should be filed as enhancement or feature requests. It would certainly
make the budget more useful to also be multi-currency.

RHO: Thank you. How/where can I lodge such a request? I suggestion which I
would make is to provide flexibility to choose a separate currency rate
drop down box (i.e. bid/ask/last/other) for the budget.

> 2. The (sub)totals appear above the amounts while it would be great if we
> can have the option to reflect them below the summarized numbers. The
> Balance sheet report has such a feature and that seems to work.

Yes, it would be helpful if the Budget Report had the same Display Options
as other reports with respect to Subtotals, again, another enhancement
request.

RHO: Thanks.

Hope that helps some,

Adrien

> Kind regards,
> Robert
> <Multicolumn View--05_03_2017 and 05_04_2017.pdf><Profit &
Loss--05_04_2017.pdf><Profit & Loss--05_03_2017.pdf><Advanced
Portfolio--05_04_2017.pdf><Advanced Portfolio--05_03_2017.pdf><Transaction
Report--05_01_2017 to 05_04_2017.pdf>_______________

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 4:33 PM, Adrien Monteleone <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> > value appears in stead of the unrealized gain/loss. Why is this?
>
> It is showing you the unrealized gain or loss, but not in a single account because it is calculated for informational purposes only. An actual gain or loss would have an account and show up in one place. Your unrealized gain or loss isn’t the performance of a single security (though such a report might be possible) but the difference between changes in price since purchase reflected in your asset accounts.
>
> RHO: Thanks, I will review this again.
>
> > 3. Also in the same report, should there not be a an account with the
> > realized gains and losses?
>
> Yes, if you entered transactions to book the gain/loss to such an account under your income accounts.
>
> RHO: So realized gains/losses are not automatically booked to your P&L, but only on scrubbing the account?

You have two options as I understand it, manually on the sale, or automatically via periodic scrubbing. And I don’t think they mix well. You should study and then pick one method and stick with it.

Have you perused the Tutorial & Concepts Guide Investments Chapter? It covers this in pretty great detail: http://code.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide.pdf <http://code.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide.pdf>

> > 4. Same report. It appears that a negative total in the Profit and Loss is
> > perceived as a "Net Loss for the Period" as mentioned on the last line of
> > this report, while it should be a Profit. Please advice?
>
> This might have something to do with your “reversed balance accounts” setting, but a negative total from the result of Income - Expenses does mean a loss, yes. And from the looks of the report, you had zero revenue and a (unrealized) loss from trading, so that seems to make sense. If you had actual gains, those needed to be recorded into your income accounts. If this were a realized loss, you’d have a transaction booking that to income and so your P&L would show negative Income with zero Expenses and thus a Net Loss for Period without the trading accounts section. (assuming you had liquidated all securities)
>
> RHO: Thanks, I will review this again.
>

> > 5. As you can see on the Transaction report 05_01_2017 to 05_04_2017 I have
> > made a Lots Sell1 of R$1 on 05_03_2017, however the advanced portfolio
> > report only takes the sale into account on 05_04_2017 and does not reflect
> > this sale on 05_03_2017. See reports Advanced Portfolio 05_03_2017 and
> > 05_04_2017. On these report the holding is 1010 shares on 05_04_2017 and
> > 1260 on 05_03_2017. So the sale of 250 shares on 05_03_2017 is not taken
> > into account. I believe the sell of 250 shares should be taken into account
> > on the report of 05_03_2017. Please advice? The balance sheet as in report
> > Multi column view 05_03_2017 and 05_04_2017 shows the correct number of
> > shares.
>

> On first glance that does seem odd. I’ll let someone more familiar with using the report chime in on that one.
>
> RHO: Looking forward to hear from the someone else, as I am using this report at this moment.

As a hunch, have you tired playing with the date ranges for the Advanced Portfolio report? It’s supposed to cover a date range. There might be a bug if you set it for only one day as if trying to take a snapshot. (like a Balance Sheet does) Try maybe 5/2-5/3 and see what happens. Then compare that to a 5/3-5/4 range and maybe even 5/2-5/4.

A likely solution might be to play with the “Set Preference for Price List Data” in Options > General for that report. Checked means it’s looking at the price list and unchecked means its looking at actual transactions. Unchecking it might force it to “see” the sale transaction and correctly report the number of shares held. (though I don’t understand why it shows correctly for 5/4)

Maybe play with the “Price Source” and “Basis Calculation Method” though I really think your most likely hit will come from the Price List Data checkbox or a date range issue.

> > Some reporting suggestions outstanding:
> >
> > The report named Budget report:
> > 1. As this is a multi currency system normally a budget is made before an
> > accounting period with an estimated currency rate. It appears that the
> > current report is not multi currency and only shows it in one currency. Can
> > this be changed so a currency rate specifically for the budget can be used
> > while the realized number uses the actual currency rate?
>
> This should be filed as enhancement or feature requests. It would certainly make the budget more useful to also be multi-currency.
>
> RHO: Thank you. How/where can I lodge such a request? I suggestion which I would make is to provide flexibility to choose a separate currency rate drop down box (i.e. bid/ask/last/other) for the budget.

RFE (Request For Enhancement) should be filed in Bugzilla: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bugzilla <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bugzilla>, also it probably helps the developers if you label them as RFE.

The more detailed the request is described and laid out, I suspect the more likely it is to get implemented sooner, but of course, pending available developer time and priorities.

You can also vote for or offer enhancements and features on Uservoice: http://gnucash.uservoice.com/ <http://gnucash.uservoice.com/>