ping...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ping...

Chris Shoemaker

Ok, 4 weeks without a single message!?!  C'mon!

Is anybody alive out there?

Did I get silently unsubscribed? :-)

Is everybody busy whipping out some great g2 code? :)

BTW: my investigations into using GtkTreeModel for a new register are
looking even better than I hoped.  I had an intitial, very rough
concept working with GtkListStore, then with GtkTreeStore.  That
convinced me that the *display* portion would work, even some of the
dynamic tree behavior.  Then, I had to convert to a custom
GtkTreeModel, that provided for iteration over Transactions and
Splits, the result of a Query.  That convinced me that the *editing*
portion was feasible (possibly modulo some remaining GtkCellEditable
issues).  So, there's a few more details to flesh out, but I'm
optimistic that it will be workable.  Incidentally, if it is workable,
I estimate it'll be about 1/5 the complexity of src/register/*.  The
GtkTreeModel interface is decently defined, and its interaction with
GtkTreeView and friends is where much of the complexity is hidden by
gtk.

Incidentally, I was wondering if anyone else's register went all-white
a few weeks ago.  (All my development is at the top of my patch stack,
so I haven't recompiled the base CVS for months, but I don't *think* I
did anything that would make the register go white. :)

-chris
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Successful LinuxTag presentation (was: Re: ping...)

Christian Stimming
Hi all,

yes, someone is alive out there :-) Actually I had a quite good
presentation at the German LinuxTag in Karlsruhe, Germany, last weekend.
I had the last timeslot of the day in the largest hall (2000 seats), but
the attendance was not quite as large (probably 200 people). The talk
went quite well and there were a bunch of questions, notably about
features for German business users
(http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=129099)

The slides are on http://www.tu-harburg.de/~et2cs/gnc/linuxtag05/ as
well as a paper. Of course both is in German. On the slides I managed to
include enough pictures so that almost every slide has one :-)

Regards,

Christian

Chris Shoemaker schrieb:
> Ok, 4 weeks without a single message!?!  C'mon!
>
> Is anybody alive out there?
>
> Did I get silently unsubscribed? :-)
>
> Is everybody busy whipping out some great g2 code? :)
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ping...

Derek Atkins
In reply to this post by Chris Shoemaker
Chris Shoemaker <[hidden email]> writes:

> Ok, 4 weeks without a single message!?!  C'mon!

Hey, it's okay that this list is quiet..  It's not a crime ;)
Maybe it means people are hard at work..  :)

> BTW: my investigations into using GtkTreeModel for a new register are
> looking even better than I hoped.  I had an intitial, very rough
> concept working with GtkListStore, then with GtkTreeStore.  That
> convinced me that the *display* portion would work, even some of the
> dynamic tree behavior.  Then, I had to convert to a custom
> GtkTreeModel, that provided for iteration over Transactions and
> Splits, the result of a Query.  That convinced me that the *editing*
> portion was feasible (possibly modulo some remaining GtkCellEditable
> issues).  So, there's a few more details to flesh out, but I'm
> optimistic that it will be workable.  Incidentally, if it is workable,
> I estimate it'll be about 1/5 the complexity of src/register/*.  The
> GtkTreeModel interface is decently defined, and its interaction with
> GtkTreeView and friends is where much of the complexity is hidden by
> gtk.

Cool..  Are you also taking into account the business ledger, which
uses the same underlying register interfaces that the split register
does? (just wondering)..

> Incidentally, I was wondering if anyone else's register went all-white
> a few weeks ago.  (All my development is at the top of my patch stack,
> so I haven't recompiled the base CVS for months, but I don't *think* I
> did anything that would make the register go white. :)

I dont think so, but I haven't looked closely.

> -chris

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ping...

Neil Williams-2
In reply to this post by Chris Shoemaker
On Tuesday 28 June 2005 3:31 am, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> Ok, 4 weeks without a single message!?!  C'mon!

:-)

I'm well pleased - there have been quite a few changes to the codebase during
my enforced absence (car accident) and subsequent holiday and it's as well
that the devel list was so quiet. My thanks to Derek for his support during
my absence - I'm OK, just needed some time out to sort out the finances, the
paperwork and a replacement vehicle.

> Is anybody alive out there?

Deep thought. My work currently requires a spell of testing and builds outside
the GnuCash tree (actually in QOF-generator) so that I can solve the
remaining problems in QSF. As a result, I haven't done more than bring my
working copy up to date with David's patches and commit my own brief changes.

> Is everybody busy whipping out some great g2 code? :)

My current code won't go straight into G2 but it will support the code that
goes into G2 - one of those preemptive tasks that just needs to be done to
allow progress elsewhere.

I've already got a method to create new object source code using HTML forms
and PHP.

Now I've all but completed a Perl script that will turn QSF XML into C source
code that can be compiled against QOF (CVS) to build a mini-application using
the objects defined in the XML. There is one remaining irritation but it
shouldn't take long to fix, it just means the generated code needs a tweak or
two before it builds. All such mini-applications are based on Pilot-QOF and
use the same build setup.

The intention is to make it much easier to build tools that handle (almost)
arbitrary selections of QOF objects. Once the next release of QOF is
complete, the script will also compile the generated code. Data exported from
GnoTime could be merged with data from GnuCash to provide data for a third
application. The script can create an application simply by parsing any QSF
XML file - including hand-edited files - and compiling it creates a usable
command line utility that can perform SQL-type queries and write out more QSF
XML.

It's in QOF-gen CVS if it's of interest.
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/qof-gen/qof-gen/perl/

I'm using this to build test routines to solve problems with the map handling
in QSF. This is the last nut to crack before QOF v0.6.0 becomes available for
general release - closely followed by Pilot-QOF (v0.1).

--

Neil Williams
=============
http://www.data-freedom.org/
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ping...

Chris Shoemaker
In reply to this post by Derek Atkins
On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 09:47:12AM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Chris Shoemaker <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > BTW: my investigations into using GtkTreeModel for a new register are
> > looking even better than I hoped.  I had an intitial, very rough
> > concept working with GtkListStore, then with GtkTreeStore.  That
> > convinced me that the *display* portion would work, even some of the
> > dynamic tree behavior.  Then, I had to convert to a custom
> > GtkTreeModel, that provided for iteration over Transactions and
> > Splits, the result of a Query.  That convinced me that the *editing*
> > portion was feasible (possibly modulo some remaining GtkCellEditable
> > issues).  So, there's a few more details to flesh out, but I'm
> > optimistic that it will be workable.  Incidentally, if it is workable,
> > I estimate it'll be about 1/5 the complexity of src/register/*.  The
> > GtkTreeModel interface is decently defined, and its interaction with
> > GtkTreeView and friends is where much of the complexity is hidden by
> > gtk.
>
> Cool..  Are you also taking into account the business ledger, which
> uses the same underlying register interfaces that the split register
> does? (just wondering)..

Sorry to take so long to respond... I wanted to at least look at the
business ledger before responding.  Then RealLife interposed...

Anyway, I don't think I use the business ledger (you mean something
other than the AR/AP ledger, I'm sure, right?) so, no, I haven't
considered it yet.  I was trying to investigate today but I can't get
g2 to run.  If I try to create a new COA, it crashes at the end of
some "merge" druid.  If I try to open an existing file, it crashes
then.  I'll wait a bit for CVS to settle down before trying again.

Until then, I've got some bugs in my stand-alone app to track.  And
then I could always read the business ledger code...  I'll get back to
you on this.

-chris
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ping...

Derek Atkins
Chris Shoemaker <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Cool..  Are you also taking into account the business ledger, which
>> uses the same underlying register interfaces that the split register
>> does? (just wondering)..
>
> Sorry to take so long to respond... I wanted to at least look at the
> business ledger before responding.  Then RealLife interposed...
>
> Anyway, I don't think I use the business ledger (you mean something
> other than the AR/AP ledger, I'm sure, right?) so, no, I haven't

Yes, by business ledger I mean the "invoice" dialogs (customer
invoice, vendor bill, employee expense voucher).

> considered it yet.  I was trying to investigate today but I can't get
> g2 to run.  If I try to create a new COA, it crashes at the end of
> some "merge" druid.  If I try to open an existing file, it crashes
> then.  I'll wait a bit for CVS to settle down before trying again.

Weird.. it was working for me a week ago; I haven't tried it
today now that I'm back in town.

> Until then, I've got some bugs in my stand-alone app to track.  And
> then I could always read the business ledger code...  I'll get back to
> you on this.

Thanks.  It would all depend on whether you kept the same
register-core apis.  If so, then it should just work.  If not, then it
wont.  The business ledger is effectively a replacement of the
ledger-core directory under src/register that uses GncInvoice instead
of Account and GncEntry instead of Transaction.

> -chris

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel