ofx.py setup

Andre Powell
Hello I am new to *nix type software and have been chugging along with Gnucash 1.8.9 (OSX 10.3.9) and have been trying to get the python script to download ofx from the one bank that I have that only offers .csv file downloads.
I have not been able to find any examples with Google or from the program's webpage. Any help would be greatly appreciated with this

Re: ofx.py setup

David Reiser

On Aug 22, 2006, at 9:49 PM, Andre Powell wrote:

> Hello I am new to *nix type software and have been chugging along
> with Gnucash 1.8.9 (OSX 10.3.9) and have been trying to get the
> python script to download ofx from the one bank that I have that
> only offers .csv file downloads.
> I have not been able to find any examples with Google or from the
> program's webpage. Any help would be greatly appreciated with this

Do you mean that the web interface only offers .csv file downloads,
but you know that they offer Quicken connections too? None of the
tools turns a csv into ofx, the bank has to be sending ofx through
some channel. Usually the bank won't admit to allowing ofx access
outside of Quicken, but in at least some cases they do (after all, it
_is_ supposed to be an open interchange standard...).

If your bank isn't in the short list that's preprogrammed into
ofx.py, then you have to edit ofx.py to set it up for the connection.
Then you get to experiment with just what information you need to
have ofx.py send to successfully connect. What bank are you using? I
can at least do a quick check to see if their ofx web address is
reasonably available. If it does, we can work on the rest of the
process.

Dave
--
David Reiser

Re: ofx.py setup

Andre Powell
Thanks for the response:
The web interface only offers .csv downloads, but
there is support for Quicken ( I was using 2004 Mac)
and Money. The bank is State Employees Credit Union -
NC , and I see in the XML files some information, but
that is about as far as I have gotten.

Andre

--- David Reiser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2006, at 9:49 PM, Andre Powell wrote:
>
> > Hello I am new to *nix type software and have been
> chugging along
> > with Gnucash 1.8.9 (OSX 10.3.9) and have been
> trying to get the
> > python script to download ofx from the one bank
> that I have that
> > only offers .csv file downloads.
> > I have not been able to find any examples with
> Google or from the
> > program's webpage. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated with this
> >
> Do you mean that the web interface only offers .csv
> file downloads,
> but you know that they offer Quicken connections
> too? None of the
> tools turns a csv into ofx, the bank has to be
> sending ofx through
> some channel. Usually the bank won't admit to
> allowing ofx access
> outside of Quicken, but in at least some cases they
> do (after all, it
> _is_ supposed to be an open interchange
> standard...).
>
> If your bank isn't in the short list that's
> preprogrammed into
> ofx.py, then you have to edit ofx.py to set it up
> for the connection.
> Then you get to experiment with just what
> information you need to
> have ofx.py send to successfully connect. What bank
> are you using? I
> can at least do a quick check to see if their ofx
> web address is
> reasonably available. If it does, we can work on the
> rest of the
> process.
>
> Dave
> --
> David Reiser

Re: ofx.py setup

David Reiser
Your message finally reminded me that the original ofx.py was written
to access credit card and investment account statements. Bank
statements need an additional field in the mix, so you need ofx-ba.py
(http://www.jongsma.org/gc/scripts/ofx-ba.py).

Then edit the sites area to include (you can replace the example if
you like):

        "ncsecu": {
                  "caps": [ "SIGNON", "BASTMT" ],
                   "fid": "1001",
                 "fiorg": "SECU",
                   "url": "https://onlineaccess.ncsecu.org/scripts/
SECUOFXWedge.dll",
                "bankid": "253177049"
                },

the "bankid" should be your routing transit number. double check that
I found the right one.

Then you would run the script by:

python ofx-ba.py ncsecu userloginname account# CHECKING

or

python ofx-ba.py ncsecu userloginname account# SAVINGS

I'm pretty sure the all caps is necessary in the account type.
Substitute your real login ID and account numbers in the obvious places.

After you enter the command (followed by return), the script will ask
you for your password. Enter the password followed by return, and the
script will chew for a while (several seconds) while it works. Make
sure your internet connection is active before you run the script.

The script will create a file in the current working directory named
"ncsecuYYYYMMDD.ofx" where date you run the script is inserted in the
file name. While you're testing, you might want to look at the .ofx
file returned with a text editor before you try importing it into
gnucash. The file will get created even if an error occurs. You have
to open the file to see what the ofx server returned to discover what
errors happen.

The bank data for other banks is currently available in aqbanking,
but until a couple more changes happen, one must still dig out some
of the data by hand. There are some changes (on the drawing board,
anyway) to libofx which will allow the aqbanking setup accessed
through GnuCash 2.0.x to fill the appropriate fields automatically.
And since aqbanking can now do ofxdirectconnect for statement
downloads, you'll be able to download the data directly to Gnucash.

Gnucash 2.0.1 is almost ready to move to the fink unstable tree for
the mac. bmaret has now included aqbanking in the packaging mix. I
guess I'd better get going on my instructions for setting up
aqbanking...

If you try the above modifications, let us know whether or not it
works. I haven't succeeded in connecting to a checking account yet,
as my bank uses a third party ofx server that uses a nonstandard ssl
certificate interchange. grr.

Dave

--
David Reiser

Re: ofx.py setup

Andre Powell
Thank you very much for the help it worked fine. I
think that setup and usage instructions on the wiki
would benefit newbies in the future.