new gnucash book

Liz

new gnucash book

Liz
the book is out, I've downloaded my paid for copy and read a couple of
pages so far
not enough to comment - the contents looks good but I haven't read any
text yet.

Liz

Re: new gnucash book

Gour D.
On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 21:26:35 +1100
Elizabeth Dodd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the book is out, I've downloaded my paid for copy and read a couple
> of pages so far not enough to comment - the contents looks good but
> I haven't read any text yet.

Please read more and share if it is worth buying...

Sincerely,
Gour

--
“In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
all mental speculations…” (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: CDBF17CA

Re: new gnucash book

Mark Phillips
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 3:26 AM, Elizabeth Dodd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the book is out, I've downloaded my paid for copy and read a couple of
> pages so far
> not enough to comment - the contents looks good but I haven't read any
> text yet.
>
> Do you have a link to the book?

Thanks,

Mark
Liz

Re: new gnucash book

Liz
On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 07:20:43 -0700
Mark Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 3:26 AM, Elizabeth Dodd <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > the book is out, I've downloaded my paid for copy and read a couple
> > of pages so far
> > not enough to comment - the contents looks good but I haven't read
> > any text yet.
> >
> > Do you have a link to the book?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

https://www.packtpub.com/gnucash-24-small-business-accounting-beginners-guide/book

Re: new gnucash book

Mark Phillips
Thanks!
Mark
On Feb 10, 2011 12:23 PM, "Elizabeth Dodd" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 07:20:43 -0700
> Mark Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 3:26 AM, Elizabeth Dodd <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > the book is out, I've downloaded my paid for copy and read a couple
>> > of pages so far
>> > not enough to comment - the contents looks good but I haven't read
>> > any text yet.
>> >
>> > Do you have a link to the book?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mark

https://www.packtpub.com/gnucash-24-small-business-accounting-beginners-guide/book

Re: new gnucash book

Kim Wood
Dear GnuCash Users,

I have bought the book today (downloadable PDF version), and can report it is very comprehensive in content, as well as professionally written and laid out.  It has 324 pages, plenty of graphics/screen grabs, and is very useful companion when using GnuCash for small business.

The first few chapters cover the basics, and it builds from there.  It is a shame that not every user will see the book.  It is everything that the user needs, and ideally this content should be part of the GnuCash download.  I am very happy with the purchase.

The PDF version has the purchaser's name and address in the footer on every page.  This particular e-book producer looks like they are pretty switched on.  The e-book is available in either PDF or EPUB format.

Anyway, it is probably a good example of how profit making businesses and the open source movement can co-exist and produce good outcomes.  There should be more of it.  Highly recommended.

Regards,

Kim Wood

Re: new gnucash book

Tommy Trussell
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 4:26 AM, Elizabeth Dodd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> the book is out, I've downloaded my paid for copy and read a couple of
> pages so far
> not enough to comment - the contents looks good but I haven't read any
> text yet.
>
> Liz

Christian Stimming posted a favorable endorsement on the gnucash-devel list:

http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2011-February/031147.html

Liz

Re: new gnucash book

Liz

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 11:48:02 -0600
Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 4:26 AM, Elizabeth Dodd <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > the book is out, I've downloaded my paid for copy and read a couple
> > of pages so far
> > not enough to comment - the contents looks good but I haven't read
> > any text yet.
> >
> > Liz
>
> Christian Stimming posted a favorable endorsement on the
> gnucash-devel list:
>
> http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2011-February/031147.html

Christian is part of the team who assisted the author, that would be
why he's had more time to read the book.

Re: new gnucash book

Mark Phillips
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Kim Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear GnuCash Users,
>
> I have bought the book today (downloadable PDF version), and can report it
> is very comprehensive in content, as well as professionally written and
> laid
> out.  It has 324 pages, plenty of graphics/screen grabs, and is very useful
> companion when using GnuCash for small business.
>
> The first few chapters cover the basics, and it builds from there.  It is a
> shame that not every user will see the book.  It is everything that the
> user
> needs, and ideally this content should be part of the GnuCash download.  I
> am very happy with the purchase.
>
> The PDF version has the purchaser's name and address in the footer on every
> page.  This particular e-book producer looks like they are pretty switched
> on.  The e-book is available in either PDF or EPUB format.

I bought the book as well, but was only offered a PDF version.

> Anyway, it is probably a good example of how profit making businesses and
> the open source movement can co-exist and produce good outcomes.  There
> should be more of it.  Highly recommended.
>

> Regards,
>
> Kim Wood

Re: new gnucash book

Kim Wood
Hello Mark,

Well, I might be mistaken about the EPUB format option.  I was pretty certain about that being one of the e-book options, but anyway...   If that is an issue, and you wanted EPUB, you could always convert the PDF using open source e-book management software Calibre.  I use it from time to time, and it works well.

Regards,

Kim

Re: new gnucash book

Mark Phillips
Kim,

Calibre does a terrible job on pdfs for the kindle. Can't seem to get rid of
the personal footnotes on every page. I sent am email to Pakt to see of I
can get an epub version for my kindle. Thanks,
Mark
On Feb 12, 2011 2:17 PM, "Kim Wood" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Mark,
>
> Well, I might be mistaken about the EPUB format option. I was pretty
> certain about that being one of the e-book options, but anyway... If that
> is an issue, and you wanted EPUB, you could always convert the PDF using
> open source e-book management software Calibre. I use it from time to
time,
> and it works well.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kim

Re: new gnucash book

carpetnailz@researchintegration.org
Question: Since the book is published in Britain, does it use British or
American accounting conventions/legal context, or are they not that
different?

Re: new gnucash book

Ken Heard
Liz

Re: new gnucash book

Liz
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 07:25:21 +0700
Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> > the book is out, I've downloaded my paid for copy and read a couple
> > of pages so far
> > not enough to comment - the contents looks good but I haven't read
> > any text yet.
>
> What is the URL of the publisher where the book can be ordered?
>
> Ken Heard

https://www.packtpub.com/gnucash-24-small-business-accounting-beginners-guide/book

Re: new gnucash book

Robert Smits
On February 10, 2011 02:26:35 am Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> the book is out, I've downloaded my paid for copy and read a couple of
> pages so far
> not enough to comment - the contents looks good but I haven't read any
> text yet.
>
> Liz

The price, $45.89 US plus shipping looks pretty steep to me. Is it worth it?

--
Robert Smits Email [hidden email]
Liz

Re: new gnucash book

Liz
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 20:49:09 -0700
Bob Smits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On February 10, 2011 02:26:35 am Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> > the book is out, I've downloaded my paid for copy and read a couple
> > of pages so far
> > not enough to comment - the contents looks good but I haven't read
> > any text yet.
> >
> > Liz
>
> The price, $45.89 US plus shipping looks pretty steep to me. Is it
> worth it?

I paid $AU56.49 for electronic book with immediate delivery and paper
book by air mail delivery.
Books here cost far more than anywhere else due to protective marketing
arrangements, and this price is excellent for a 200 page book (to me).
If the desired effect, of my significant other improving his
bookkeeping, actually occurs, then its value will be far more.
And if that happens, then it could help anyone ;)
Actually it might be working, but it will take a little time to find
out.

The book itself is well written, understandable at a basic English
level with a few new words to learn and easy to read.
Now you did have a specific question as well didn't you?

Re: new gnucash book

Gour D.
On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:34:26 +1100
Elizabeth Dodd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The book itself is well written, understandable at a basic English
> level with a few new words to learn and easy to read.
> Now you did have a specific question as well didn't you?

I'm again re-evaluating Gnucash to be used for my small business and I'm
curious whether the book covers procedure to customize invoices/reports - to
tweak it by adding one's logo, table design etc.?

Having to use e-guile to customize my invoices/reports is the only thing why
I'm (still) considering using PHP invoicing apps although I'm sure Gnucash is
better/richer app.

Sincerely,
Gour

--