lxr, bonsai, doxygen and viewcvs

Neil Williams-2
Just browsing How To Help after the message on users about valid HTML and came
across the (IIRC old) tips on how to help as a webmaster:
http://www.gnucash.org/en/contribute.phtml

" We'd like somebody to help set up and maintain all those neat development
tools that a 'real' project should have, such as lxr and bonsai, and maybe a
bug-tracking tool, or other bits & pieces."

So how does LXR compare to ViewCVS that we now have?
http://lxr.linux.no/
http://viewcvs.sourceforge.net/

How does bonsai compare to Doxygen that has many kb of content distributed
throughout the source tree?
http://www.mozilla.org/bonsai.html
http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/

It's only idle curiosity really.

Personally, I'm v.happy with viewcvs (use it locally) and doxygen (which is
particularly useful when generated locally and has LOTS of under-utilised
options). Each of my other projects use doxygen themselves.

--

Neil Williams

Re: lxr, bonsai, doxygen and viewcvs

Derek Atkins
Neil Williams <[hidden email]> writes:

> Just browsing How To Help after the message on users about valid HTML and came
> across the (IIRC old) tips on how to help as a webmaster:
> http://www.gnucash.org/en/contribute.phtml
>
> " We'd like somebody to help set up and maintain all those neat development
> tools that a 'real' project should have, such as lxr and bonsai, and maybe a
> bug-tracking tool, or other bits & pieces."
>
> So how does LXR compare to ViewCVS that we now have?
> http://lxr.linux.no/
> http://viewcvs.sourceforge.net/

We're using CVSweb, not ViewCVS..  But it's close enough.  This web
info on gnucash.org has not been updated since the CVS/email move to
the new server.  There's no need to use LXR, I don't think.  LXR does
have some interesting features to enable cross-references in the code.
But I don't think we need that.

> How does bonsai compare to Doxygen that has many kb of content distributed
> throughout the source tree?
> http://www.mozilla.org/bonsai.html
> http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/

I don't know enough about bonsai, but again, this was written before
the move.

> It's only idle curiosity really.
>
> Personally, I'm v.happy with viewcvs (use it locally) and doxygen (which is
> particularly useful when generated locally and has LOTS of under-utilised
> options). Each of my other projects use doxygen themselves.

I'm happy with what we've got.