Quantcast

lots

Robert Hoogendoorn
Hi,

I am using version 2.6.16

1. I understood that there is some kind of tick box which needs to be set
to use lots in the investment section, however I can´t find it. Do you know
where this needs to be set?
2. Is there a portfolio report available which shows actual lots (buys and
sells)?
3. Is there a site on which persons make customized reports available for
other gnu users?

Kind regards,
Robert

Re: lots

GnuCash - User mailing list
Robert:

1) I believe you are confusing “Lots” and “Trading Accounts”, but I could be wrong. I am not aware of needing to change any settings to use lots. Lots technically aren’t necessary, since a user can manage the gains aspect manually. To use the lots feature, select Actions->View Lots in a Stock/Mutual Fund account. Trading Accounts are a different animal, one that I haven’t met in the wild (i.e., I don’t use them).

2) I do not believe there is. I assume here that when you say actual buys and sells, you really mean that you want information about the gains on those buys and sells, since it is trivial to run a report that lists the actual Buy and Sell transactions in any given account or selection of accounts.

3) Most reports have been incorporated into the distributed application. There are a number of reports that have been offered over the years to the community via this list. I don’t know whether there is any easy way to search for them.

Cheers,
David

> On May 17, 2017, at 10:20 PM, Robert Hoogendoorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am using version 2.6.16
>
> 1. I understood that there is some kind of tick box which needs to be set
> to use lots in the investment section, however I can´t find it. Do you know
> where this needs to be set?
> 2. Is there a portfolio report available which shows actual lots (buys and
> sells)?
> 3. Is there a site on which persons make customized reports available for
> other gnu users?
>
> Kind regards,
> Robert

Re: lots

Robert Hoogendoorn
Thanks David for your quick reply,

1. I read about the marking of lots on this site,
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Concept_of_Lots under the header Refining the
concept of lots, lot transfers which read; "An account is marked as "lots
account" or not. If it is a account in which lots should be tracked it is
marked as "lot account" and all splits in it will need to belong to a lot."
I assumed that it was some tick box to be set for lots.

2. Yeah, you are probably right the buys and sells of lots may be trivial,
but I would like to show actual buys and sells to a potential client, we
know besides the realized gain also the quantity which was sold, as such my
question 3 to perhaps find a report which was already created for this.

Kind regards,
Robert

Kind regards,
Robert

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 2:33 PM, David T. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Robert:
>
> 1) I believe you are confusing “Lots” and “Trading Accounts”, but I could
> be wrong. I am not aware of needing to change any settings to use lots.
> Lots technically aren’t necessary, since a user can manage the gains aspect
> manually. To use the lots feature, select Actions->View Lots in a
> Stock/Mutual Fund account. Trading Accounts are a different animal, one
> that I haven’t met in the wild (i.e., I don’t use them).
>
> 2) I do not believe there is. I assume here that when you say actual buys
> and sells, you really mean that you want information about the gains on
> those buys and sells, since it is trivial to run a report that lists the
> actual Buy and Sell transactions in any given account or selection of
> accounts.
>
> 3) Most reports have been incorporated into the distributed application.
> There are a number of reports that have been offered over the years to the
> community via this list. I don’t know whether there is any easy way to
> search for them.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> > On May 17, 2017, at 10:20 PM, Robert Hoogendoorn <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using version 2.6.16
> >
> > 1. I understood that there is some kind of tick box which needs to be set
> > to use lots in the investment section, however I can´t find it. Do you
> know
> > where this needs to be set?
> > 2. Is there a portfolio report available which shows actual lots (buys
> and
> > sells)?
> > 3. Is there a site on which persons make customized reports available for
> > other gnu users?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Robert

Re: lots

GnuCash - User mailing list
Robert,

I will note two points about the page to which you refer: 1) this page is a section of the wiki that contains an old, *non-current* draft of the User Guide which was created in 2007, and, 2) the section that you quote is, I believe, intended as as proposal to improve the lots features (although it’s difficult to tell because of the fractured English used throughout the page).

I would strongly recommend that you consult the current Concept Guide and Tutorial at http://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?doc=guide <http://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?doc=guide>

David

P.S. -> To the Wiki gurus: I have suggested in the past that having these “Draft Guide” pages on the Wiki can be problematic and cause troubles, but was told that they are not linked directly in the main Wiki. Apparently some people can still find them and get the wrong impression about GnuCash funtionality. I reiterate my recommendation for the removal of these pages from the wiki.

> On May 17, 2017, at 11:09 PM, Robert Hoogendoorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks David for your quick reply,
>
> 1. I read about the marking of lots on this site, http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Concept_of_Lots <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Concept_of_Lots> under the header Refining the concept of lots, lot transfers which read; "An account is marked as "lots account" or not. If it is a account in which lots should be tracked it is marked as "lot account" and all splits in it will need to belong to a lot."
> I assumed that it was some tick box to be set for lots.
>
> 2. Yeah, you are probably right the buys and sells of lots may be trivial, but I would like to show actual buys and sells to a potential client, we know besides the realized gain also the quantity which was sold, as such my question 3 to perhaps find a report which was already created for this.
>

> Kind regards,
> Robert
>

> Kind regards,
> Robert
>

> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 2:33 PM, David T. <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Robert:
>
> 1) I believe you are confusing “Lots” and “Trading Accounts”, but I could be wrong. I am not aware of needing to change any settings to use lots. Lots technically aren’t necessary, since a user can manage the gains aspect manually. To use the lots feature, select Actions->View Lots in a Stock/Mutual Fund account. Trading Accounts are a different animal, one that I haven’t met in the wild (i.e., I don’t use them).
>
> 2) I do not believe there is. I assume here that when you say actual buys and sells, you really mean that you want information about the gains on those buys and sells, since it is trivial to run a report that lists the actual Buy and Sell transactions in any given account or selection of accounts.
>
> 3) Most reports have been incorporated into the distributed application. There are a number of reports that have been offered over the years to the community via this list. I don’t know whether there is any easy way to search for them.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> > On May 17, 2017, at 10:20 PM, Robert Hoogendoorn <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using version 2.6.16
> >
> > 1. I understood that there is some kind of tick box which needs to be set
> > to use lots in the investment section, however I can´t find it. Do you know
> > where this needs to be set?
> > 2. Is there a portfolio report available which shows actual lots (buys and
> > sells)?
> > 3. Is there a site on which persons make customized reports available for
> > other gnu users?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Robert

Re: lots

Adrien Monteleone

> On May 17, 2017, at 9:45 PM, David T. via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> P.S. -> To the Wiki gurus: I have suggested in the past that having these “Draft Guide” pages on the Wiki can be problematic and cause troubles, but was told that they are not linked directly in the main Wiki. Apparently some people can still find them and get the wrong impression about GnuCash funtionality. I reiterate my recommendation for the removal of these pages from the wiki.

If not removed for particular reasons, perhaps a prominent disclaimer similar to how Wikipedia puts a giant, non-ignorable, STUB notice at the top of incomplete pages might serve the purpose.

I come across that page on lots every time I do a search for the term when dealing with cleaning up posting/un-posting issues with the business features. It has helped me to understand the situation, but it certainly seems a work in progress.

Just my few ¢,

Adrien

>> On May 17, 2017, at 11:09 PM, Robert Hoogendoorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks David for your quick reply,
>>
>> 1. I read about the marking of lots on this site, http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Concept_of_Lots <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Concept_of_Lots> under the header Refining the concept of lots, lot transfers which read; "An account is marked as "lots account" or not. If it is a account in which lots should be tracked it is marked as "lot account" and all splits in it will need to belong to a lot."
>> I assumed that it was some tick box to be set for lots.
>>
>> 2. Yeah, you are probably right the buys and sells of lots may be trivial, but I would like to show actual buys and sells to a potential client, we know besides the realized gain also the quantity which was sold, as such my question 3 to perhaps find a report which was already created for this.
>>

>> Kind regards,
>> Robert
>>

>> Kind regards,
>> Robert
>>

>> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 2:33 PM, David T. <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> Robert:
>>
>> 1) I believe you are confusing “Lots” and “Trading Accounts”, but I could be wrong. I am not aware of needing to change any settings to use lots. Lots technically aren’t necessary, since a user can manage the gains aspect manually. To use the lots feature, select Actions->View Lots in a Stock/Mutual Fund account. Trading Accounts are a different animal, one that I haven’t met in the wild (i.e., I don’t use them).
>>
>> 2) I do not believe there is. I assume here that when you say actual buys and sells, you really mean that you want information about the gains on those buys and sells, since it is trivial to run a report that lists the actual Buy and Sell transactions in any given account or selection of accounts.
>>
>> 3) Most reports have been incorporated into the distributed application. There are a number of reports that have been offered over the years to the community via this list. I don’t know whether there is any easy way to search for them.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>
>>> On May 17, 2017, at 10:20 PM, Robert Hoogendoorn <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am using version 2.6.16
>>>
>>> 1. I understood that there is some kind of tick box which needs to be set
>>> to use lots in the investment section, however I can´t find it. Do you know
>>> where this needs to be set?
>>> 2. Is there a portfolio report available which shows actual lots (buys and
>>> sells)?
>>> 3. Is there a site on which persons make customized reports available for
>>> other gnu users?
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Robert

Re: lots

Robert Hoogendoorn
David,

Thanks for your info, as I did not realized this was obsolete information,
I leave it as it is for now.

Kind regards,
Robert

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 11:45 PM, David T. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> community via this list. I don’t know whether there is any easy way to
>> search for them.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>
>> > On May 17, 2017, at 10:20 PM, Robert Hoogendoorn <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am using version 2.6.16
>> >
>> > 1. I understood that there is some kind of tick box which needs to be
>> set
>> > to use lots in the investment section, however I can´t find it. Do you
>> know
>> > where this needs to be set?
>> > 2. Is there a portfolio report available which shows actual lots (buys
>> and
>> > sells)?
>> > 3. Is there a site on which persons make customized reports available

Re: lots

> On May 18, 2017, at 4:40 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On May 17, 2017, at 9:45 PM, David T. via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> P.S. -> To the Wiki gurus: I have suggested in the past that having these “Draft Guide” pages on the Wiki can be problematic and cause troubles, but was told that they are not linked directly in the main Wiki. Apparently some people can still find them and get the wrong impression about GnuCash funtionality. I reiterate my recommendation for the removal of these pages from the wiki.
>
> If not removed for particular reasons, perhaps a prominent disclaimer similar to how Wikipedia puts a giant, non-ignorable, STUB notice at the top of incomplete pages might serve the purpose.
>
> I come across that page on lots every time I do a search for the term when dealing with cleaning up posting/un-posting issues with the business features. It has helped me to understand the situation, but it certainly seems a work in progress.
>
> Just my few ¢,
>
> Adrien

More like a work *without* progress, as most everything in it dates from 2007. As I said, I think it should be removed.