legit??? gnucash survey? from gnucas.interest@gmail??????

Paula Hendricks
has anyone else gotten this? do we know who these folks are? is this legit? how did they get my email address?

why didn't this come thru the email list?

* * * * *
Dear GnuCash user,
We are a group of developers exploring the idea of building a free online service based on GnuCash. We'd appreciate if you can take this 10 second survey and help us gauge interest.
Thanks!

If you have trouble viewing or submitting this form, you can fill it out in Google Forms.
GnuCash Survey

Hello, We are a group of developers exploring the idea of building a free online service based on GnuCash. We'd appreciate if you can take this 10 second survey and help us gauge interest. Thanks!

... + more

* * * * *

thanks.

        ph

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
paula hendricks ~:~ san francisco ~:~ 415.567.2647
author ~:~ writer ~:~ photographer ~:~  book designer
paulahendricks.com ~:~ cinnabarbridge.com

Re: legit??? gnucash survey? from gnucas.interest@gmail??????

Larry Evans-3
On 03/01/2015 01:06 PM, Paula Hendricks wrote:

> has anyone else gotten this? do we know who these folks are? is this legit? how did they get my email address?
>
> why didn't this come thru the email list?
>
> * * * * *
> Dear GnuCash user,
> We are a group of developers exploring the idea of building a free online service based on GnuCash. We'd appreciate if you can take this 10 second survey and help us gauge interest.
> Thanks!
>
> If you have trouble viewing or submitting this form, you can fill it out in Google Forms.
> GnuCash Survey
>
> Hello, We are a group of developers exploring the idea of building a free online service based on GnuCash. We'd appreciate if you can take this 10 second survey and help us gauge interest. Thanks!
>
> ... + more
>
> * * * * *
>
> thanks.
>
> ph

Hi Ph.

I got it, saved to an .eml file and looked at it with emacs.
I couldn't tell whether it was legit or not.  Hence,
I just deleted it from my mailbox.

-Larry
[snip]

Liz

Re: legit??? gnucash survey? from gnucas.interest@gmail??????

Liz
On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 11:06:24 -0800
Paula Hendricks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> has anyone else gotten this? do we know who these folks are? is this
> legit? how did they get my email address?
>
> why didn't this come thru the email list?
>
> * * * * *
> Dear GnuCash user,
> We are a group of developers exploring the idea of building a free
> online service based on GnuCash. We'd appreciate if you can take this
> 10 second survey and help us gauge interest. Thanks!
>
> If you have trouble viewing or submitting this form, you can fill it
> out in Google Forms. GnuCash Survey
>
> Hello, We are a group of developers exploring the idea of building a
> free online service based on GnuCash. We'd appreciate if you can take
> this 10 second survey and help us gauge interest. Thanks!
>
> ... + more
>
> * * * * *
>
> thanks.
>
> ph

I found I had one. I opened the link to google docs. I didn't answer the
survey, basically because it was anonymous, and they have scraped the
mailing list to get email addresses.

Liz

Re: legit??? gnucash survey? from gnucas.interest@gmail??????

I got it as well.

It's certainly not initiated by the gnucash community or you would have received it indeed via
the mailing list.

That doesn't mean the query isn't legit. The GnuCash source is distributed under free software
terms which allows others to build on top of it, even building a business on top of it.

Do I personally trust it ? No. It's way to short on information and I'm not interested enough to
go digging for it.

And lastly, I have no idea where they got the e-mail addresses.

On Sunday 01 March 2015 11:06:24 Paula Hendricks wrote:

> has anyone else gotten this? do we know who these folks are? is this
> legit? how did they get my email address?
>
> why didn't this come thru the email list?
>
> * * * * *
> Dear GnuCash user,
> We are a group of developers exploring the idea of building a free
> online service based on GnuCash. We'd appreciate if you can take this
> 10 second survey and help us gauge interest. Thanks!
>
> If you have trouble viewing or submitting this form, you can fill it
> out in Google Forms. GnuCash Survey
>
> Hello, We are a group of developers exploring the idea of building a
> free online service based on GnuCash. We'd appreciate if you can take
> this 10 second survey and help us gauge interest. Thanks!
>
> ... + more
>
> * * * * *
>
> thanks.
>
> ph
>
> ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
> paula hendricks ~:~ san francisco ~:~ 415.567.2647
> author ~:~ writer ~:~ photographer ~:~  book designer
> paulahendricks.com ~:~ cinnabarbridge.com

Re: legit??? gnucash survey? from gnucas.interest@gmail??????

Dean Gibson-2
I wasn't going to reply, but after noticing that the sentences were
well-written English, I decided that (for my purposes), it was legit
enough to reply.  Then, since I regard anyone that stores sensitive
information in the cloud to be an idiot (that includes those who do
their taxes online when there are other choices available), I decided to
reply.  Unfortunately, the following choices were missing:

  * Hell, no!
  * You've got to be joking!

So, I just replied "No".

One of the big advantages of GnuCash is that I don't have to trust
Intuit (Quickbooks/Quicken) any more.  Why would I trust any
online/cloud service when I don't have to?  These cloud companies that
offer all the online storage, don't do it out of the goodness of their
hearts.  They do it to lock you in.

On 2015-03-01 12:32, Geert Janssens wrote:

> I got it as well.
>
> It's certainly not initiated by the gnucash community or you would have received it indeed via
> the mailing list.
>
> That doesn't mean the query isn't legit. The GnuCash source is distributed under free software
> terms which allows others to build on top of it, even building a business on top of it.
>
> Do I personally trust it ? No. It's way to short on information and I'm not interested enough to
> go digging for it.
>
> And lastly, I have no idea where they got the e-mail addresses.
>
> Regards, Geert

Re: legit??? gnucash survey? from gnucas.interest@gmail??????

Paula Hendricks
thanks everyone.... yes, they didn't tell me enough about themselves....

        ph

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

On Mar 1, 2015, at 12:32 PM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> I got it as well.
>
> It's certainly not initiated by the gnucash community or you would have received it indeed via the mailing list.
>
> That doesn't mean the query isn't legit. The GnuCash source is distributed under free software terms which allows others to build on top of it, even building a business on top of it.
>
> Do I personally trust it ? No. It's way to short on information and I'm not interested enough to go digging for it.
>
> And lastly, I have no idea where they got the e-mail addresses.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert
>
> On Sunday 01 March 2015 11:06:24 Paula Hendricks wrote:
> > has anyone else gotten this? do we know who these folks are? is this
> > legit? how did they get my email address?
> >
> > why didn't this come thru the email list?
> >
> > * * * * *
> > Dear GnuCash user,
> > We are a group of developers exploring the idea of building a free
> > online service based on GnuCash. We'd appreciate if you can take this
> > 10 second survey and help us gauge interest. Thanks!
> >
> > If you have trouble viewing or submitting this form, you can fill it
> > out in Google Forms. GnuCash Survey
> >
> > Hello, We are a group of developers exploring the idea of building a
> > free online service based on GnuCash. We'd appreciate if you can take
> > this 10 second survey and help us gauge interest. Thanks!
> >
> > ... + more
> >
> > * * * * *
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > ph
> >
> > ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
> > paula hendricks ~:~ san francisco ~:~ 415.567.2647
> > author ~:~ writer ~:~ photographer ~:~  book designer
> > paulahendricks.com ~:~ cinnabarbridge.com

Re: legit??? gnucash survey? from gnucas.interest@gmail??????

Tommy Trussell
On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Paula Hendricks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> has anyone else gotten this? do we know who these folks are? is this
> legit? how did they get my email address?
>
> why didn't this come thru the email list?
>
> * * * * *
> Dear GnuCash user,
> We are a group of developers exploring the idea of building a free online
> service based on GnuCash. We'd appreciate if you can take this 10 second
> survey and help us gauge interest.
> Thanks!
>
> If you have trouble viewing or submitting this form, you can fill it out
> in Google Forms.
> GnuCash Survey
>
> Hello, We are a group of developers exploring the idea of building a free
> online service based on GnuCash. We'd appreciate if you can take this 10
> second survey and help us gauge interest. Thanks!

It's possible to report the form to Google as a spam-advertised link so the
form may get taken down. In my opinion it pretty clearly violates the
Google Docs terms of service to use it that way.

They probably got the email addresses by collecting them from postings to
the email list. Why they didn't just post their survey to the list (as a
discussion) I'm not sure, but it doesn't speak well for them.

Re: legit??? gnucash survey? from gnucas.interest@gmail??????

Michael DeBusk-2
On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Paula Hendricks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> thanks everyone.... yes, they didn't tell me enough about themselves....

For what it's worth, I got it too.

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign     * against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org       * against proprietary attachments

Re: legit??? gnucash survey? from gnucas.interest@gmail??????

John R. Sowden
On 03/01/2015 11:06 AM, Paula Hendricks wrote:

> has anyone else gotten this? do we know who these folks are? is this legit? how did they get my email address?
>
> why didn't this come thru the email list?
>
> * * * * *
> Dear GnuCash user,
> We are a group of developers exploring the idea of building a free online service based on GnuCash. We'd appreciate if you can take this 10 second survey and help us gauge interest.
> Thanks!
>
> If you have trouble viewing or submitting this form, you can fill it out in Google Forms.
> GnuCash Survey
>
> Hello, We are a group of developers exploring the idea of building a free online service based on GnuCash. We'd appreciate if you can take this 10 second survey and help us gauge interest. Thanks!
>
> ... + more
>
> * * * * *
>
> thanks.
>
> ph
>
> ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
> paula hendricks ~:~ san francisco ~:~ 415.567.2647
> author ~:~ writer ~:~ photographer ~:~  book designer
> paulahendricks.com ~:~ cinnabarbridge.com

I responded:

Good Morning:

I am very interested in having my confidential business financial
information stored on someone else's computer with a T&C stating that
they will give my confidential to anyone with a subpoena or warrant.
Since I will be storing my confidential business financial information
somewhere other than my "Care Custody and Control", I relish the
excitement and suspense of finding out that my vendor has been hacked or
my data is in the hands of the government without my knowledge, per the
FISA (Kangaroo) court rulings.  I enjoy the full comfort that your
organization will have much more in resources available to keep my data
secure unlike those underfunded startups Target, Home Depot, and other
similar minor corporations.

GnuCash Survey

Hello, We are a group of developers exploring the idea of building a
free online service based on GnuCash. We'd appreciate if you can take
this 10 second survey and help us gauge interest. Thanks!

Do you use GnuCash on multiple devices?
       Never

Would you use GnuCash as a online service?
      Imagine if GnuCash was delivered as a web application on both
      desktop and mobile. All data will be saved in the cloud and multiple
      people can work simultaneously on the same data.
       No (Never)

Would you like to sign up for a beta trial of free
GnuCash-as-a-service?
       No (Never)

Powered by
Google Forms (An organization that collects data and sells it to others)

Respectfully yours,

John E. Sowden
President, American Sentry Systems, Inc.

Re: legit??? gnucash survey? from gnucas.interest@gmail??????

Colin Law
On 1 March 2015 at 19:06, Paula Hendricks <[hidden email]> wrote:
> has anyone else gotten this? do we know who these folks are? is this legit? how did they get my email address?

I replied asking if it was to be open source, in which case it would
be very interesting as one could use one's own server.  I am not
surprised that I have had no reply.

Colin