installing gnucash

Bill Shadden
I have downloaded gnucash version 2.05. How do I install it? I don't
have a clue as to how to go about the installation. Please help.
William Shadden

Re: installing gnucash

Quoting Bill Shadden <[hidden email]>:

> I have downloaded gnucash version 2.05. How do I install it? I don't
> have a clue as to how to go about the installation. Please help.
> William Shadden

Well, it would help if you said what OS/Distro you're using...
You probably downloaded the sources; you would be better off
downloading (or just installing) the binary for your OS/Distro.

Re: installing gnucash

Paul Schwartz
Depends on what your platform is. ????

Paul

I have downloaded gnucash version 2.05. How do I install it? I don't
have a clue as to how to go about the installation. Please help.
William Shadden

Re: installing gnucash

Doug Laidlaw
On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 02:45:08 am Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Quoting Bill Shadden <[hidden email]>:
> > I have downloaded gnucash version 2.05. How do I install it? I don't
> > have a clue as to how to go about the installation. Please help.
> > William Shadden
>
> Well, it would help if you said what OS/Distro you're using...
> You probably downloaded the sources; you would be better off
> downloading (or just installing) the binary for your OS/Distro.

My Mandriva Spring comes with a package for 2.05, so I have nothing to gain by
downloading the sources, except customizing it for Australia, and Spring
raised a new installation issue that I didn't have before.  If your system is
the most recent release, it may be the same.  Installing your distro's own
package makes life a lot easier, because somebody has already ironed out
those wrinkles, and whatever package you have  should work.  If you are not
familiar with installing from source, gnucash is not a good one to cut your
teeth on, and you may not even notice the extra features in 2.05.  Earlier
versions did all that I asked of them.

To see what version of Gnucash your distro gives you, install it and look at
the bottom edge of the splash screen, or under the Help menu, "About."

HTH,

Doug.
--
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams.