installation freezes

John Grillot
I have windows 10 home. I tried to install your software that I downloaded
thursdau and again yesterdat. I tried running the install as administrator
and again not as admin. The install freezes at this point (I can do other
tasks so I know the computer isn't frozen.  Also after I end the task, the
foreground is killed but there is still what must be a background task
running. Here is where the install freezes.

image001.png (23K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC] installation freezes

Derek Atkins
John,

"John Grillot" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I have windows 10 home. I tried to install your software that I downloaded
> thursdau and again yesterdat. I tried running the install as administrator
> and again not as admin. The install freezes at this point (I can do other
> tasks so I know the computer isn't frozen.  Also after I end the task, the
> foreground is killed but there is still what must be a background task
> running. Here is where the install freezes.

I'm not sure what you're trying to show here.  Your message ends at
"here is where the install freezes" without any additional information.

Did you try to insert an image to show where it freezes?

Re: [GNC] installation freezes

John Grillot
Here is the screen shot

"John Grillot" < <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]> writes:

> I have windows 10 home. I tried to install your software that I

> downloaded thursdau and again yesterdat. I tried running the install

> as administrator and again not as admin. The install freezes at this

> point (I can do other tasks so I know the computer isn't frozen.  Also

> after I end the task, the foreground is killed but there is still what

> must be a background task running. Here is where the install freezes.

I'm not sure what you're trying to show here.  Your message ends at "here is
where the install freezes" without any additional information.

Did you try to insert an image to show where it freezes?

PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH

        <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]                        PGP
key available

image001.png (23K) Download Attachment
freeze.png (26K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC] installation freezes

David Carlson-4
I didn't notice the paperclip icon at the top right in Gmail until John
sent the second message which also seemed to be missing the attachment.
The actual attachment cannot be seen because it is way down below the
bottom of the browser window.

My forehead is getting very flat from all the slapping lately!

David C

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 6:47 PM, John Grillot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is the screen shot

randix
Understanding that everyone wants the latest and greatest (yesterday, if not
today), the fact is, clearly, there are issues, whatever they are, with
installing, running version 3.0 on Windows 10.  I may be deaf and blind, but
not hearing/seeing any Window 10 users who are running 3.0 without an
issue...assuming they can get it to run.

As painful as it is, I have opted, and would suggest others who desire to
run GnuCash under Windows 10, to just do it using version 2.6.21 and wait a
few months until "whoever" works out "whatever" that is clearly causing the
problem with 3.0 in Windows 10.

Back to my cave.

Re: [GNC] installation freezes

Ken Pyzik
Radix -- while I agree mostly with your assessment -- I have installed
version 3.0 on Windows 10 version 1803 (latest Windows build) and I have had
no issues with it.  In fact, I have been running with it for two weeks now
with no issue.

Now -- that is not to say that there could still be some bugs with version
3.0 when using some of the non-essential features.   Also, look into the
build of Windows 10 -- MS has also been found to deliver "beta" versions of
dlls or other extensions in what is supposed to be "ready" versions of
Windows.

Either way -- what you are saying may be correct in many cases -- just not
for mine.

Ken

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] installation freezes

David Carlson-4
We each have our own expectations.

It is important to read the list of known problems included in the release
announcement and to read comments in this user list to see if any of these
issues are deal breakers to the migration to this release.

I, for one, am not ready to make the plunge.  One reason is that I use
Gnucash on several different computers,  two different Windows machines and
several Linux flavors on other machines.  I would want to wait until I can
update all of them.

David C

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018, 11:20 PM Ken Pyzik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Radix -- while I agree mostly with your assessment -- I have installed
> version 3.0 on Windows 10 version 1803 (latest Windows build) and I have
> had
> no issues with it.  In fact, I have been running with it for two weeks now
> with no issue.
>
> Now -- that is not to say that there could still be some bugs with version
> 3.0 when using some of the non-essential features.   Also, look into the
> build of Windows 10 -- MS has also been found to deliver "beta" versions of
> dlls or other extensions in what is supposed to be "ready" versions of
> Windows.
>
> Either way -- what you are saying may be correct in many cases -- just not
> for mine.
>
> Ken

David,

The first message did not have an attachment.  This second one does (at
least for me).

I do not know why the installer appears to be freezing.

-derek