importing invoice items

Ian Smith-Heisters
Hi all,

I've seen this asked on the list before and answered in the negative,
but I thought I'd see if there's been any changes: is there any way to
get bulk data into an invoice? Ideally from a CSV, but even if I could
cut and paste into the date, description, and quantity fields at once
I'd be happy. What about CashUtil: is it considered stable and safe?
Any clues in this direction would be greatly appreciated.

-Ian

Re: importing invoice items

ddougan
Ian Smith-Heisters wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've seen this asked on the list before and answered in the negative,
> but I thought I'd see if there's been any changes: is there any way to
> get bulk data into an invoice? Ideally from a CSV, but even if I could
> cut and paste into the date, description, and quantity fields at once
> I'd be happy. What about CashUtil: is it considered stable and safe?
> Any clues in this direction would be greatly appreciated.
>
> -Ian

Ian,

I create my invoice information in SugarCRM, using its "Cases" feature.
I then copy and paste into the invoice description field. However, I use
an intermediate step - the invoice description field accepts HTML tags,
so I paste into a text editor and add <p> and <br> tags in appropriate
places prior to pasting into the invoice description.

HTH,

Des

--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group Inc.

Office:    604-628-5434
Cell:       604-866-2848
Email:      des at DouganConsulting dot com

         www.DouganConsulting.com

Peace of Mind, One Computer at a Time.

Re: importing invoice items

Quoting Ian Smith-Heisters <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> I've seen this asked on the list before and answered in the negative,
> but I thought I'd see if there's been any changes: is there any way to
> get bulk data into an invoice? Ideally from a CSV, but even if I could
> cut and paste into the date, description, and quantity fields at once
> I'd be happy.

You can always cut-and-paste into the register fields.  But there's
no generic invoice.

>      What about CashUtil: is it considered stable and safe?
> Any clues in this direction would be greatly appreciated.

I would never consider cashutil stable, but it's also not a gnucash
project.  It was created outside of gnucash and if it's even maintained
it's been maintained outside of gnucash.

> -Ian

Re: importing invoice items

Ian Smith-Heisters
On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 6:27 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting Ian Smith-Heisters <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've seen this asked on the list before and answered in the negative,
>> but I thought I'd see if there's been any changes: is there any way to
>> get bulk data into an invoice? Ideally from a CSV, but even if I could
>> cut and paste into the date, description, and quantity fields at once
>> I'd be happy.
>
> You can always cut-and-paste into the register fields.  But there's
> no generic invoice.

yeah--cutting and pasting once for each item is fine. But I have to do
it 3 times: once for date, once for description, once for quantity. It
gets really tedious.

>>     What about CashUtil: is it considered stable and safe?
>> Any clues in this direction would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I would never consider cashutil stable, but it's also not a gnucash
> project.  It was created outside of gnucash and if it's even maintained
> it's been maintained outside of gnucash.

that's the impression I got.

sounds like I'm SOL :(

Thanks for the responses though!

So where would I start to write something like this into GnuCash? I've
got a script that's reading the files (that I'll post here soon), but
it seems like for write operations to be reliable it should be using
the GnuCash API and be part of the main codebase. Is this something
the maintainers would accept upstream if I wrote it? I would most
likely need to converse with someone familiar with the code so that I
could write code with acceptable quality. Alternatively, is there a
possibility of funding this feature?

-Ian

>> -Ian

>      Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>      Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>      [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: importing invoice items

Derek Atkins
"Ian Smith-Heisters" <[hidden email]> writes:

> So where would I start to write something like this into GnuCash? I've
> got a script that's reading the files (that I'll post here soon), but
> it seems like for write operations to be reliable it should be using
> the GnuCash API and be part of the main codebase. Is this something
> the maintainers would accept upstream if I wrote it? I would most
> likely need to converse with someone familiar with the code so that I
> could write code with acceptable quality. Alternatively, is there a
> possibility of funding this feature?

Oh, if it were well-written I think we would absolutely accept it!
Patches are ALWAYS welcome.

As for WHERE to do it, that is always the $64k question.

You should take this conversation over to gnucash-devel if you want
to continue down this track.

> -Ian

Re: importing invoice items

Ian Smith-Heisters
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Ian Smith-Heisters" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> So where would I start to write something like this into GnuCash? I've
>> got a script that's reading the files (that I'll post here soon), but
>> it seems like for write operations to be reliable it should be using
>> the GnuCash API and be part of the main codebase. Is this something
>> the maintainers would accept upstream if I wrote it? I would most
>> likely need to converse with someone familiar with the code so that I
>> could write code with acceptable quality. Alternatively, is there a
>> possibility of funding this feature?
>
> Oh, if it were well-written I think we would absolutely accept it!
> Patches are ALWAYS welcome.
>
> As for WHERE to do it, that is always the $64k question.
>
> You should take this conversation over to gnucash-devel if you want
> to continue down this track.

thanks, will do.