import transactions from CSV with mutiple accounts

import transactions from CSV with mutiple accounts

Paul Neuwirth
Hi List,

I hope someone can give me a hint. Is it a bug of the importer or am I
doing something wrong? Or is there a tool which converts csv to qif or
other advanced format?
I have a CSV file with transactions of different bank accounts (ca. 12
bank accounts, export from banking software moneyplex).
If I import csv files with only transactions of one account, gnucash
selects (automatically) the correct account (slot 'online-id' of
account is identically to account number in csv).
But if I do import transactions belonging to different accounts, all
transactions are being imported into the account of the first line in
the csv.
This does not make any sense for me, as you can select account as a
column...

It would be quiet unconvinient to do seperate imports for every account.
On the other side (moneyplex) does have advanced export functions, but
not for transactions of multiple accounts (therefor only search
results can be exported to csv or xml)..

using gnucash 2.6.19 on openSUSE:
> zypper info gnucash
Reading installed packages...

Information for package gnucash:
--------------------------------
Repository     : openSUSEGNOMEApps
Name           : gnucash
Version        : 2.6.19-100.1
Arch           : x86_64
Vendor         : obs://build.opensuse.org/GNOME
Installed Size : 25,7 MiB
Installed      : Yes
Status         : up-to-date
Source package : gnucash-2.6.19-100.1.src
Summary        : Personal Finance Manager
Description    :
    GnuCash is a personal finance manager. A check book-like register
GUI allows you to enter and track bank accounts, stocks, income, and
even currency trades. A full set of reports allows you to see the state
    of your finances. The interface is designed to be simple and easy to
    use, but is backed with double-entry accounting principles to
    ensure balanced books.

Thank you very much

Paul

Re: import transactions from CSV with mutiple accounts

Geert Janssens-4
Op zaterdag 30 december 2017 16:20:53 CET schreef Paul Neuwirth:

> Hi List,
>
> I hope someone can give me a hint. Is it a bug of the importer or am I
> doing something wrong? Or is there a tool which converts csv to qif or
> other advanced format?
> I have a CSV file with transactions of different bank accounts (ca. 12
> bank accounts, export from banking software moneyplex).
> If I import csv files with only transactions of one account, gnucash
> selects (automatically) the correct account (slot 'online-id' of
> account is identically to account number in csv).
> But if I do import transactions belonging to different accounts, all
> transactions are being imported into the account of the first line in
> the csv.
> This does not make any sense for me, as you can select account as a
> column...
>
> It would be quiet unconvinient to do seperate imports for every account.
> On the other side (moneyplex) does have advanced export functions, but
> not for transactions of multiple accounts (therefor only search
> results can be exported to csv or xml)..

Hi Paul,

I don't think the csv importer was designed with your use case in mind. I
believe it was written to import transactions one bank account at the time.

So for the 2.6 series unfortunately you will have to live with this
limitation. There are some tools floating around on the net for converting csv
files to qif, or more exactly LibreOffice Calc to qif or Excel to qif (but
both applications should be able to open csv files just fine).

For gnucash 3.0 (to be released in a couple of months) the csv importer has
been rewritten and the new one should be able to handle csv files in your
format just fine.

Re: import transactions from CSV with mutiple accounts

Paul Neuwirth
On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 17:03:13 +0100
Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Op zaterdag 30 december 2017 16:20:53 CET schreef Paul Neuwirth:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > I hope someone can give me a hint. Is it a bug of the importer or
> > am I doing something wrong? Or is there a tool which converts csv
> > to qif or other advanced format?
> > I have a CSV file with transactions of different bank accounts (ca.
> > 12 bank accounts, export from banking software moneyplex).
> > If I import csv files with only transactions of one account, gnucash
> > selects (automatically) the correct account (slot 'online-id' of
> > account is identically to account number in csv).
> > But if I do import transactions belonging to different accounts, all
> > transactions are being imported into the account of the first line
> > in the csv.
> > This does not make any sense for me, as you can select account as a
> > column...
> >
> > It would be quiet unconvinient to do seperate imports for every
> > account. On the other side (moneyplex) does have advanced export
> > functions, but not for transactions of multiple accounts (therefor
> > only search results can be exported to csv or xml)..
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> I don't think the csv importer was designed with your use case in
> mind. I believe it was written to import transactions one bank
> account at the time.
>
> So for the 2.6 series unfortunately you will have to live with this
> limitation. There are some tools floating around on the net for
> converting csv files to qif, or more exactly LibreOffice Calc to qif
> or Excel to qif (but both applications should be able to open csv
> files just fine).
>
> For gnucash 3.0 (to be released in a couple of months) the csv
> importer has been rewritten and the new one should be able to handle
> csv files in your format just fine.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

thank you very much for the hints. I am about gnucash 3.0..
Just wrote a script to generate a QIF file from moneyplex search result
csvs.. pretty simple and working :)

I whis you a prosperous new year

Paul

Re: import transactions from CSV with mutiple accounts

Paul Neuwirth
On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 12:40:13 +0100
Paul Neuwirth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 17:03:13 +0100
> Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Op zaterdag 30 december 2017 16:20:53 CET schreef Paul Neuwirth:
> > > Hi List,
> > >
> > > I hope someone can give me a hint. Is it a bug of the importer or
> > > am I doing something wrong? Or is there a tool which converts csv
> > > to qif or other advanced format?
> > > I have a CSV file with transactions of different bank accounts
> > > (ca. 12 bank accounts, export from banking software moneyplex).
> > > If I import csv files with only transactions of one account,
> > > gnucash selects (automatically) the correct account (slot
> > > 'online-id' of account is identically to account number in csv).
> > > But if I do import transactions belonging to different accounts,
> > > all transactions are being imported into the account of the first
> > > line in the csv.
> > > This does not make any sense for me, as you can select account as
> > > a column...
> > >
> > > It would be quiet unconvinient to do seperate imports for every
> > > account. On the other side (moneyplex) does have advanced export
> > > functions, but not for transactions of multiple accounts (therefor
> > > only search results can be exported to csv or xml)..
> >
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > I don't think the csv importer was designed with your use case in
> > mind. I believe it was written to import transactions one bank
> > account at the time.
> >
> > So for the 2.6 series unfortunately you will have to live with this
> > limitation. There are some tools floating around on the net for
> > converting csv files to qif, or more exactly LibreOffice Calc to qif
> > or Excel to qif (but both applications should be able to open csv
> > files just fine).
> >
> > For gnucash 3.0 (to be released in a couple of months) the csv
> > importer has been rewritten and the new one should be able to handle
> > csv files in your format just fine.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Geert
>
> thank you very much for the hints. I am about gnucash 3.0..
> Just wrote a script to generate a QIF file from moneyplex search
> result csvs.. pretty simple and working :)
>
> I whis you a prosperous new year
>
> Paul

exasperating...
glad qif import works.. but (compared to csv import, with very helfull
aditional screen..) correlation is not done.. bunch of duplicates now..
but i do not give up hope.. best way right now is doing csv
import account by account.. :-/