help file translatio: how to get diffs

Fabrizio Mancini-2
hi,
i'm translating the help file from english to italian language.
I have copied the whole guide from eng to my locale directory. Suppose i'll employ one month to translate the whole documentatio, and suppose that the help file in the cvs has changed during this month.
i'll check out all the documentation from the cvs at the end of the translation, how can i check the differences in the files? so i can translate only the file modified.
sorry if it's not the right place to ask
tia
fabrizio

Re: help file translatio: how to get diffs

Christian Stimming
Hi,

Fabrizio Mancini schrieb:
> i'm translating the help file from english to italian language.

good to hear. Thank you for your contribution.

> I have copied the whole guide from eng to my locale directory.

Can you say specifically which files/directories you have copied? Do you
mean the SVN module "gnucash-docs" and in that module the directory
help/C or guide/C?
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation#How_to_translate_the_GnuCash_guide_and.2For_help_files
Which one exactly?

> Suppose
> i'll employ one month to translate the whole documentatio, and suppose
> that the help file in the cvs has changed during this month.
> i'll check out all the documentation from the cvs at the end of the
> translation, how can i check the differences in the files? so i can
> translate only the file modified.

Currently no-one is working on the english versions of that file, so you
can rest assured that there simply is *no* change at all in these files
during the next month. (Maybe later, but not now.)

If there were a change, then first of all this will be noted in the
top-level ChangeLog file. You can ask the respective contributer
directly what he/she changed. Alternatively, the command "svn diff" will
give you any sorts of diffs that you would like, see
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Svn and pointers there. But there really
isn't any change at all right now.

> sorry if it's not the right place to ask

This is the right place to ask. We are happily looking forward to your
contributions.

Christian

Re: help file translatio: how to get diffs

Fabrizio Mancini-2
On 12/16/05, Christian Stimming <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
good to hear. Thank you for your contribution.

it's a pleasure, for a so excellent software it's the minimum!!! ;-)

> I have copied the whole guide from eng to my locale directory.

Can you say specifically which files/directories you have copied? Do you
mean the SVN module "gnucash-docs" and in that module the directory
help/C or guide/C?
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation#How_to_translate_the_GnuCash_guide_and.2For_help_files
Which one exactly?

yes, i followed the instruction on the wiki, i checked out all the gnucash-docs, and at this time i copied only the guide/C directory and the figures dir.
in the future i'll start to translate the help, so i will copy the help dir to my locale.

ok, i hope to finish my work in just a month or so! i'll be @ work during christmas holiday! ;-)

If there were a change, then first of all this will be noted in the
top-level ChangeLog file. You can ask the respective contributer
directly what he/she changed. Alternatively, the command "svn diff" will
give you any sorts of diffs that you would like, see
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Svn and pointers there. But there really
isn't any change at all right now.

ok i'll read the documentation! thank you

the last question, can i post the translation incrementally? ex when i translate a whole character?
or do i have to wait the end of the work?
bye

Fabrizio Mancini schrieb:
>      > I have copied the whole guide from eng to my locale directory.
>
>     Can you say specifically which files/directories you have copied?
>
> yes, i followed the instruction on the wiki, i checked out all the
> gnucash-docs, and at this time i copied only the guide/C directory and
> the figures dir.

Ok, sounds good.

> in the future i'll start to translate the help, so i will copy the help
> dir to my locale.

Whatever you prefer. I would suggest working on one of the two documents
first ("guide" vs. "help") and starting with the other rather when
you're mostly done with the first.

>     Currently no-one is working on the english versions of that file, so you
>     can rest assured that there simply is *no* change at all in these files
>     during the next month.
>
> ok, i hope to finish my work in just a month or so! i'll be @ work
> during christmas holiday! ;-)
>

> the last question, can i post the translation incrementally? ex when i
> translate a whole character?
> or do i have to wait the end of the work?

No, you do not have to wait until you have finished all of your work.
Instead, we would strongly suggest that you submit early and often
during your work. It can always happen that for whatever reason you
cannot continue, and it would be good if at least any intermediate
results at that point can be re-used by others.

We would suggest to email your translation after every few days of work.
For the "guide" (or the "help") you should create a .tar.gz of the
guide/it directory (I guess "it" is your locale, isn't it [no pun
intended]), email it to the gnucash-patches mailing list.
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists Then, someone of the
developers will add it to the gnucash-docs SVN module so that you can
see how this fits into this package.

Christian

Re: help file translatio: how to get diffs

Fabrizio Mancini-2
On 12/16/05, Christian Stimming <[hidden email]> wrote:
> the last question, can i post the translation incrementally? ex when i
> translate a whole character?
> or do i have to wait the end of the work?

No, you do not have to wait until you have finished all of your work.
Instead, we would strongly suggest that you submit early and often
during your work. It can always happen that for whatever reason you
cannot continue, and it would be good if at least any intermediate
results at that point can be re-used by others.

ok i'll post my results asap. In this weeken i try to prepare all the file translated.

We would suggest to email your translation after every few days of work.
For the "guide" (or the "help") you should create a .tar.gz of the
guide/it directory (I guess "it" is your locale, isn't it [no pun
intended]), email it to the gnucash-patches mailing list.
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists Then, someone of the
developers will add it to the gnucash-docs SVN module so that you can
see how this fits into this package.

yeah my locale is it, i'm from italy ;-)
i hope to have the time this weekend to prepare all the files to be posted to the svn
thank you
fabrizio

Re: help file translatio: how to get diffs

Fabrizio Mancini-2
hi,
just the last question and then i won't bother any more! ;-)
wich editor do you suggest to translate the xml files?
i can use vi o gedit or  whichever i want, but sometimes my father can help me with the translation and so i should give him a good editor, possibly with a gui that hide the html tags that he doesn't know how to treat and what they do. so to avoid the possibility that he deletes the tags and to avoid to reentere all the formatting tags by hand, what would you suggest?

Am Samstag, 17. Dezember 2005 12:50 schrieb Fabrizio Mancini:
> hi,
> just the last question and then i won't bother any more! ;-)
> wich editor do you suggest to translate the xml files?

that's actually a very good question. It boils down to "How can I edit DocBook
xml files?" and we've discussed it regularly here as well. (Search the
archives for DocBook, http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
Unfortunately I can't find any good list right away, maybe the pointers on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DocBook might help you.

>From what I remember the "easiest" suggestion was to get the "DocBook plugin"
for OpenOffice, which will mean you can directly edit those XML files in
OpenOffice. I haven't checked that recently, though. I personally only use
(x)emacs, but again, I haven't worked with that recently.

Christian