goffice-update-branch merge->head this weekend

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

goffice-update-branch merge->head this weekend

Josh Sled
Thanks to the efforts of Neil and Derek, the goffice-update branch is
pretty robust at this point, except for issues on 64-bit platforms.
However, since I understand those issues already appear on HEAD, I'm
going to merge the branch back in this weekend sometime ... later today
or tomorrow.  Shout if that's a problem.

...jsled
--
http://asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: goffice-update-branch merge->head this weekend

Josh Sled
On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 11:55 -0500, Josh Sled wrote:
> Thanks to the efforts of Neil and Derek, the goffice-update branch is
> pretty robust at this point, except for issues on 64-bit platforms.
> However, since I understand those issues already appear on HEAD, I'm
> going to merge the branch back in this weekend sometime ... later today
> or tomorrow.  Shout if that's a problem.

I've just committed this as r12096.

...jsled
--
http://asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Karl Hegbloom
In reply to this post by Josh Sled
On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 11:55 -0500, Josh Sled wrote:
> Thanks to the efforts of Neil and Derek, the goffice-update branch is
> pretty robust at this point, except for issues on 64-bit platforms.
> However, since I understand those issues already appear on HEAD, I'm
> going to merge the branch back in this weekend sometime ... later today
> or tomorrow.  Shout if that's a problem.

What exactly are the 64-bit issues?  I have an Athlon-64 running Ubuntu
Breezy Badger.  I'd like to help.

Would anyone like an account on it?  I'm on a fast connection, at
Portland State University.  If you tell me who you are, and send your
login ID and SSH public key, I'll create an account you can use to work
on GnuCash 64-bit issues.

--
Karl Hegbloom <[hidden email]>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Josh Sled
On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 23:19 -0800, Karl Hegbloom wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 11:55 -0500, Josh Sled wrote:
> > Thanks to the efforts of Neil and Derek, the goffice-update branch is
> > pretty robust at this point, except for issues on 64-bit platforms.
> > However, since I understand those issues already appear on HEAD, I'm
> > going to merge the branch back in this weekend sometime ... later today
> > or tomorrow.  Shout if that's a problem.
>
> What exactly are the 64-bit issues?  I have an Athlon-64 running Ubuntu
> Breezy Badger.  I'd like to help.
>
> Would anyone like an account on it?  I'm on a fast connection, at
> Portland State University.  If you tell me who you are, and send your
> login ID and SSH public key, I'll create an account you can use to work
> on GnuCash 64-bit issues.

I took Karl up on this offer, and David Hampton and I were able to
squish the happily-small number of 64-bit compilation issues.  If you
see others, please speak up.

...jsled
--
http://asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Englisch, Volker (NIH/NCI)
In reply to this post by Karl Hegbloom
> I took Karl up on this offer, and David Hampton and I were able to
> squish the happily-small number of 64-bit compilation issues.  If you
> see others, please speak up.

I've now been able to compile GnuCash on my 64-bit system but only
when I drop the --enable-hbci option.  With it the compilation stops
with
this error message (I'm running FC4):

cc1: warnings being treated as errors
hbci-interaction.c: In function 'inputBoxCB':
hbci-interaction.c:363: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but
argument 2 has type 'size_t'
hbci-interaction.c:363: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but
argument 2 has type 'size_t'
hbci-interaction.c: In function 'getTanCB':
hbci-interaction.c:444: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but
argument 2 has type 'size_t'
hbci-interaction.c:444: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but
argument 2 has type 'size_t'
hbci-interaction.c: In function 'hideBoxCB':
hbci-interaction.c:512: warning: cast to pointer from integer of
different size
hbci-interaction.c:519: warning: cast to pointer from integer of
different size
hbci-interaction.c: In function 'showBoxCB':
hbci-interaction.c:555: warning: cast to pointer from integer of
different size
make[5]: *** [hbci-interaction.lo] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory
`/home/venglisc/gnucash/g2-devel/gnucash/src/import-export/hbci'
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/home/venglisc/gnucash/g2-devel/gnucash/src/import-export/hbci'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/venglisc/gnucash/g2-devel/gnucash/src/import-export'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/venglisc/gnucash/g2-devel/gnucash/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/venglisc/gnucash/g2-devel/gnucash'
make: *** [all] Error 2


Thanks

Volker Englisch


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Josh Sled
On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 11:05 -0500, Englisch, Volker (NIH/NCI) [C] wrote:
> > I took Karl up on this offer, and David Hampton and I were able to
> > squish the happily-small number of 64-bit compilation issues.  If you
> > see others, please speak up.
>
> I've now been able to compile GnuCash on my 64-bit system but only
> when I drop the --enable-hbci option.  With it the compilation stops
> with
> this error message (I'm running FC4):

Ah, hmm.  I probably should have built with all options...  I'll see
what I can do later.

Thanks...
...jsled
--
http://asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Englisch, Volker (NIH/NCI)
In reply to this post by Karl Hegbloom
> I've now been able to compile GnuCash on my 64-bit system

Just noticed that even though I can compile GC (without the
--enable-hbci
option) I can not run it:

  [volker@kepler ~]$ /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash
  ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
  ERROR: file: "libgw-wct", message: "/usr/lib/libgw-wct.so.0: cannot
open
  shared object file: No such file or directory"

Thanks

Volker Englisch


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Neil Williams-2
On Wednesday 07 December 2005 4:26 pm, Englisch, Volker (NIH/NCI) [C] wrote:

> > I've now been able to compile GnuCash on my 64-bit system
>
> Just noticed that even though I can compile GC (without the
> --enable-hbci
> option) I can not run it:
>
>   [volker@kepler ~]$ /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash
>   ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
>   ERROR: file: "libgw-wct", message: "/usr/lib/libgw-wct.so.0: cannot
> open
>   shared object file: No such file or directory"
That could be an outdated gwrap package. What distribution are you running on
this 64bit machine?

What version of these libraries:
libgwrap-runtime0-dev
libgwrapguile-dev

(hint, you need the first one and not the second one!)

If that's OK, you may just need a make distclean or maybe you haven't removed
all traces of gwrap 1.3

If Debian, you need libgwrap-runtime0-dev 1.9.6-3, 1.9.6-2 doesn't work with
gnucash.

--

Neil Williams
=============
http://www.data-freedom.org/
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Christian Stimming
In reply to this post by Englisch, Volker (NIH/NCI)
Am Mittwoch, 7. Dezember 2005 17:26 schrieb Englisch, Volker (NIH/NCI) [C]:

> > I've now been able to compile GnuCash on my 64-bit system
>
> Just noticed that even though I can compile GC (without the
> --enable-hbci
> option) I can not run it:
>
>   [volker@kepler ~]$ /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash
>   ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
>   ERROR: file: "libgw-wct", message: "/usr/lib/libgw-wct.so.0: cannot
> open
>   shared object file: No such file or directory"

This might also mean that no shared objects were built at all. Did config.log
during ./configure happen to say "checking whether to build shared
libraries... no"? It should say "...yes" or otherwise gnucash will not work
at all.

If it says "...no", you might consider an extra --build=... argument to
configure.

Christian
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Englisch, Volker (NIH/NCI)
In reply to this post by Neil Williams-2


on 12/7/2005 11:46 AM Neil Williams said the following:
> That could be an outdated gwrap package. What distribution are you running on
> this 64bit machine?

I am running Fedora Core 4


> What version of these libraries:
> libgwrap-runtime0-dev
> libgwrapguile-dev

I don't have either of these on my 64-bit system but I also don't have
these on my other system (32-bit, FC4) where GC _is_ running.
Do I need the libraries because it's 64-bit?

--
Thanks

Volker Englisch
Contractor - MSD, Inc.
phone: (301) 496-0102  (CIPS)
mailto:[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Derek Atkins
In reply to this post by Christian Stimming
Quoting Christian Stimming <[hidden email]>:

> Am Mittwoch, 7. Dezember 2005 17:26 schrieb Englisch, Volker (NIH/NCI) [C]:
>> > I've now been able to compile GnuCash on my 64-bit system
>>
>> Just noticed that even though I can compile GC (without the
>> --enable-hbci
>> option) I can not run it:
>>
>>   [volker@kepler ~]$ /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash
>>   ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
>>   ERROR: file: "libgw-wct", message: "/usr/lib/libgw-wct.so.0: cannot
>> open
>>   shared object file: No such file or directory"
>
> This might also mean that no shared objects were built at all. Did config.log
> during ./configure happen to say "checking whether to build shared
> libraries... no"? It should say "...yes" or otherwise gnucash will not work
> at all.
>
> If it says "...no", you might consider an extra --build=... argument to
> configure.

Except that libgw-wct.so.0 is a g-wrap library, not a gnucash library.
I think Neil is on the right track, that this could be a g-wrap problem
and we should look there, first.

> Christian

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Derek Atkins
In reply to this post by Englisch, Volker (NIH/NCI)
Quoting Volker Englisch <[hidden email]>:

> I am running Fedora Core 4

FC4 has g-wrap-devel-1.3.4

>> What version of these libraries:
>> libgwrap-runtime0-dev
>> libgwrapguile-dev
>
> I don't have either of these on my 64-bit system but I also don't
> have these on my other system (32-bit, FC4) where GC _is_ running.
> Do I need the libraries because it's 64-bit?

No.  Neil is providing the Debian package name, not the library name.
The "problem" you will find is that you get g-wrap 1.3.4 but you probably
also have gcc-4.0..  This is a "bad" combination in that g-wrap 1.3.4
outputs semi-broken code.  You can still get it to work, but you
need to turn off certain warnings (or --disable-error-on-warning)
to get it to build.  Your other option is to install (by hand) g-wrap 1.9.6.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Bill Nottingham
In reply to this post by Christian Stimming
Christian Stimming ([hidden email]) said:

> Am Mittwoch, 7. Dezember 2005 17:26 schrieb Englisch, Volker (NIH/NCI) [C]:
> > > I've now been able to compile GnuCash on my 64-bit system
> >
> > Just noticed that even though I can compile GC (without the
> > --enable-hbci
> > option) I can not run it:
> >
> >   [volker@kepler ~]$ /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash
> >   ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
> >   ERROR: file: "libgw-wct", message: "/usr/lib/libgw-wct.so.0: cannot
> > open
> >   shared object file: No such file or directory"

It's looking in the wrong place - this (in theory) should be in
/usr/lib64 (assuming x86_64 - you aren't building for ia64, are you? :) )

Does that library exist in /usr/lib64? If so, there might be a misbuilt
libtool .la file somewhere.

Bill
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Englisch, Volker (NIH/NCI)
In reply to this post by Englisch, Volker (NIH/NCI)
Sorry, I was looking for gwrap instead of g-wrap.  Those _are_ on my
systems as version 1.3.4 as Derek already said.

I will install g-wrap 1.9.6 and then report back once I'm done.

Thanks for your help

        Volker


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Josh Sled
In reply to this post by Josh Sled
On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 11:15 -0500, Josh Sled wrote:
> Ah, hmm.  I probably should have built with all options...  I'll see
> what I can do later.

Fixed.  Thanks for the heads up.

...jsled
--
http://asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Derek Atkins
In reply to this post by Bill Nottingham
Bill,

Bill Nottingham <[hidden email]> writes:

>> >   [volker@kepler ~]$ /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash
>> >   ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
>> >   ERROR: file: "libgw-wct", message: "/usr/lib/libgw-wct.so.0: cannot
>> > open
>> >   shared object file: No such file or directory"
>
> It's looking in the wrong place - this (in theory) should be in
> /usr/lib64 (assuming x86_64 - you aren't building for ia64, are you? :) )
>
> Does that library exist in /usr/lib64? If so, there might be a misbuilt
> libtool .la file somewhere.

Does FC4 x86_64 have a 32-bit and 64-bit version of g-wrap?
If so, how would you know which version of the library to use?
What does g-wrap-config return?

> Bill

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Bill Nottingham
Derek Atkins ([hidden email]) said:

> Bill,
>
> Bill Nottingham <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> >> >   [volker@kepler ~]$ /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash
> >> >   ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
> >> >   ERROR: file: "libgw-wct", message: "/usr/lib/libgw-wct.so.0: cannot
> >> > open
> >> >   shared object file: No such file or directory"
> >
> > It's looking in the wrong place - this (in theory) should be in
> > /usr/lib64 (assuming x86_64 - you aren't building for ia64, are you? :) )
> >
> > Does that library exist in /usr/lib64? If so, there might be a misbuilt
> > libtool .la file somewhere.
>
> Does FC4 x86_64 have a 32-bit and 64-bit version of g-wrap?

Runtime is shipped as both 32 and 64-bit, devel is 64-bit only.

> If so, how would you know which version of the library to use?

64-bit libs live in /usr/lib64, assuming things are built correctly.

> What does g-wrap-config return?

[notting@apone: ~]$ g-wrap-config  --c-link-args guile
-L/usr/lib64 -lgwrap-wct -lgwrap-glib

Bill
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Volker Englisch
In reply to this post by Derek Atkins
On 12/07/2005 12:14 PM Derek Atkins wrote:
> No.  Neil is providing the Debian package name, not the library name.
> The "problem" you will find is that you get g-wrap 1.3.4 but you probably
> also have gcc-4.0..  This is a "bad" combination in that g-wrap 1.3.4
> outputs semi-broken code.  You can still get it to work, but you
> need to turn off certain warnings (or --disable-error-on-warning)
> to get it to build.  Your other option is to install (by hand) g-wrap
> 1.9.6.

I build g-wrap 1.9.6 on my 64-bit system but I was wondering if I need
to do anything special for the 'make install' step.  I'm afraid the
library might get installed in /usr/lib instead of /usr/lib64 or is this
all handled by the configure step?

Would it be better to choose an opt-style-install?  How would I need to
tell Gnucash where to find the new version of g-wrap if I do this?

        Volker
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Derek Atkins
Volker Englisch <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 12/07/2005 12:14 PM Derek Atkins wrote:
>> No.  Neil is providing the Debian package name, not the library name.
>> The "problem" you will find is that you get g-wrap 1.3.4 but you probably
>> also have gcc-4.0..  This is a "bad" combination in that g-wrap 1.3.4
>> outputs semi-broken code.  You can still get it to work, but you
>> need to turn off certain warnings (or --disable-error-on-warning)
>> to get it to build.  Your other option is to install (by hand)
>> g-wrap 1.9.6.
>
> I build g-wrap 1.9.6 on my 64-bit system but I was wondering if I need
> to do anything special for the 'make install' step.  I'm afraid the
> library might get installed in /usr/lib instead of /usr/lib64 or is this
> all handled by the configure step?
>
> Would it be better to choose an opt-style-install?  How would I need to
> tell Gnucash where to find the new version of g-wrap if I do this?

It's not "make install" that has to be special.  It's "configure".
You need(ed) to configure with some --prefix to not interact with
g-wrap 1.3.4.   HOWEVER, according to Bill if you have g-wrap-devel
then it should be the 64-bit development toolkit.

So one question would be:  why is it trying to load the 32-bit
library if it compiled against the 64-bit library?

-derek
--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Neil Williams-2
In reply to this post by Volker Englisch
On Friday 09 December 2005 5:20 am, Volker Englisch wrote:
> I build g-wrap 1.9.6 on my 64-bit system but I was wondering if I need
> to do anything special for the 'make install' step.  I'm afraid the
> library might get installed in /usr/lib instead of /usr/lib64 or is this
> all handled by the configure step?

Questions like this are often easiest to answer by loading the Makefile itself
into a text editor - not Makefile.am, sometimes Makefile.in is useful but
things like 'where will this be going' are answered in the Makefile. That in
turn is created from the configure options. Look for prefix and install
related paths.

> Would it be better to choose an opt-style-install?

I thought opt-style-install was the recommended way of building gnucash so
I've always used it. Other developers don't. If it works for you with or
without, stick with what works. I don't use opt-style-install for any other
programs, I stick to using --prefix=/opt/installation/path

> How would I need to
> tell Gnucash where to find the new version of g-wrap if I do this?

Via configure. If configure can find g-wrap, everything else will use the
configure data. If configure cannot find g-wrap, configure will halt.

use ./configure --help to see some of the options and/or environment variables
that affect how configure tries to locate various components.

--

Neil Williams
=============
http://www.data-freedom.org/
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment