gnucash 2.0.5 fails silently to open gnucash file

gnucash 2.0.5 fails silently to open gnucash file

Hendrik Boom-2
I have two gnucash files -- on for home finances, won for business.
Yeasterday everything was fine.  Today, it will open the work file
properly, but not the home file.  When I say
   gnucash /farhome/accounts/05/home
it puts up its welcome graphic, starts up normally, but with a minimal
window, and even if I enlarge it, there are no accounts to be seen.
It goes through the motions of reading the file, but shows no accounts.

The window has the bar saying file edit view actions business reports ...
and the line below it with only icons for save and close (close is greyed
out) and the rest of the window is a blank grey.  I get no error messages
or dialog that I can see.

The command
   gnucash /farhome/accounts/05/work
works fine.

  Advice would be welcome.

  Is this likely to be a known problem with a known workaround?

  I'm using gnucash 2.0.5 as distributed with Debian etch.  I've been using
various gnucash for many years now and hope to continue.

  Is the file likely to be corrupt?  Is there a way of testing it?  (It
looks like a proper  XML file when I zcat it through less)  lIs there a
secret debugging trace flag that could reveal the trouble?  Should I give
up and try a backup file and discard the work I did yesterday?  (Being
paranoid about computers, I still have backup gnucash files dating back
for months)

As I said, advice would be welcome.

-- hendrik

Re: gnucash 2.0.5 fails silently to open gnucash file

Derek Atkins
What happens if you do:

  File -> New -> New Accounts Page

-derek

Quoting Hendrik Boom <[hidden email]>:

> I have two gnucash files -- on for home finances, won for business.
> Yeasterday everything was fine.  Today, it will open the work file
> properly, but not the home file.  When I say
>   gnucash /farhome/accounts/05/home
> it puts up its welcome graphic, starts up normally, but with a minimal
> window, and even if I enlarge it, there are no accounts to be seen.
> It goes through the motions of reading the file, but shows no accounts.
>
> The window has the bar saying file edit view actions business reports ...
> and the line below it with only icons for save and close (close is greyed
> out) and the rest of the window is a blank grey.  I get no error messages
> or dialog that I can see.
>
> The command
>   gnucash /farhome/accounts/05/work
> works fine.
>
>  Advice would be welcome.
>
>  Is this likely to be a known problem with a known workaround?
>
>  I'm using gnucash 2.0.5 as distributed with Debian etch.  I've been using
> various gnucash for many years now and hope to continue.
>
>  Is the file likely to be corrupt?  Is there a way of testing it?  (It
> looks like a proper  XML file when I zcat it through less)  lIs there a
> secret debugging trace flag that could reveal the trouble?  Should I give
> up and try a backup file and discard the work I did yesterday?  (Being
> paranoid about computers, I still have backup gnucash files dating back
> for months)
>
> As I said, advice would be welcome.
>
> -- hendrik

Re: gnucash 2.0.5 fails silently to open gnucash file

Josh Sled
Hendrik Boom <[hidden email]> writes:
> The window has the bar saying file edit view actions business reports ...
> and the line below it with only icons for save and close (close is greyed
> out) and the rest of the window is a blank grey.  I get no error messages
> or dialog that I can see.

After loading, does the title bar indicate a filename?

Does File > New > New Account Page help?

Is anything printed to the console?

Is there anything "interesting" in /tmp/gnucash.trace?  Even with '--debug'?

>   Is this likely to be a known problem with a known workaround?

Who can say?

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 02:48:20PM -0400, Josh Sled wrote:
> Hendrik Boom <[hidden email]> writes:
> > The window has the bar saying file edit view actions business reports ...
> > and the line below it with only icons for save and close (close is greyed
> > out) and the rest of the window is a blank grey.  I get no error messages
> > or dialog that I can see.
>
> After loading, does the title bar indicate a filename?

No.

> Does File > New > New Account Page help?

Yes.

> Is anything printed to the console?

No.

> Is there anything "interesting" in /tmp/gnucash.trace?  Even with '--debug'?

Yes, but I didn't use debug.  Here it is.

parents@lovesong:/farhome/hendrik$ cat /tmp/gnucash.trace
gnucash: /usr/lib/gnucash/libgnc-backend-postgres.so: cannot open

failed to load gnc-backend-postgres from /usr/lib/gnucash

looking for /etc/gnucash/config
trying to load /etc/gnucash/config
looking for /farhome/parents/.gnucash/config-2.0.user
looking for /farhome/parents/.gnucash/config-1.8.user
looking for /farhome/parents/.gnucash/config-1.6.user
looking for /farhome/parents/.gnucash/config.user
looking for /farhome/parents/.gnucash/config-2.0.auto
looking for /farhome/parents/.gnucash/config-1.8.auto
trying to load /farhome/parents/.gnucash/config-1.8.auto
/farhome/parents/.gnucash/config-1.8.auto:25:15: While evaluating
arguments to gnc:lookup-option in expression (gnc:lookup-option
gnc:*options-entries* "General" ...):
/farhome/parents/.gnucash/config-1.8.auto:25:15: Unbound variable:
gnc:*options-entries*
In /farhome/parents/.gnucash/config-1.8.auto:
  25: 0* (let ((option #)) ((lambda # #) option))
  25: 1* [gnc:lookup-option ...

looking for /farhome/parents/.gnucash/config-1.6.auto
trying to load /farhome/parents/.gnucash/config-1.6.auto
/farhome/parents/.gnucash/config-1.6.auto:7:15: While evaluating
arguments to gnc:lookup-option in expression (gnc:lookup-option
gnc:*options-entries* "__gui" ...):
/farhome/parents/.gnucash/config-1.6.auto:7:15: Unbound variable:
gnc:*options-entries*
In /farhome/parents/.gnucash/config-1.6.auto:
   7: 0* (let ((option #)) ((lambda # #) option))
   7: 1* [gnc:lookup-option ...

looking for /farhome/parents/.gnucash/config.auto
looking for /farhome/parents/.gnucash/saved-reports-2.0
looking for /farhome/parents/.gnucash/saved-reports-1.8
looking for /farhome/parents/.gnucash/stylesheets-2.0
trying to load /farhome/parents/.gnucash/stylesheets-2.0
error reading group Window 1 key Page Count: Key file does not have
group 'Window 1'
parents@lovesong:/farhome/hendrik$

After recording the above, I tried running gnucash again, and now it
just works.  Whatever the problem was, it's going to be hard to track
down.  I didn't even save after using File > New > New Account Page, but
the problem has gone away.  For now.  It looks as if I will have a hard
time providing additional debugging information.

> >   Is this likely to be a known problem with a known workaround?
>
> Who can say?

Maybe someone that's had it happen before?

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 02:46:19PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> What happens if you do:
>
>  File -> New -> New Accounts Page
>
> -derek

The accounts show up.  And keep showing up on repeated invocations of
gnucash.  Whatever was the matter?

-- hendrik.

Re: gnucash 2.0.5 fails silently to open gnucash file

Derek Atkins
Quoting [hidden email]:

> On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 02:46:19PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> What happens if you do:
>>
>>  File -> New -> New Accounts Page
>>
>> -derek
>
> The accounts show up.  And keep showing up on repeated invocations of
> gnucash.  Whatever was the matter?

The metadata file lost track of your Account Tree page.