gnome2

Daniel Tudosie
Hi everyone,

I have been using gnucash for some time and I am satified for now...
furthermore, as I have background in IT development (I have studied
Scheme, I am working as dev in C/C++, etc), I am thinking of getting
involved in the development of this product...

I have been following the user and devel lists for some time for two
reasons: I am interested because my (gnu) money are managed through
gnucash; I am working in a related field (commercial financial
apps/systems).

Ofcourse I would like to help in the effort of porting gnucash to gnome2
(and b/c I am writing to devel list instead of user list I hope the
majority understands the importance of moving gnucash from the tehnical
issues of gnome1 to gnome2 - and hoppefully prevent this kind of
tech-dependancy situations - to more functional issues) but my
experience in developing under linux is some-how limited (and note that
I used the term *experience*).

So I am asking (for who wants to answer - and not get the same treatment
as the user that started the "giving up on gnucash" thread on user
mail-list) what development env. are you using ? (I am using gnome and I
have installed Anjuta which I am not familiar with; but I am also a fan
of gnu emacs) is there a "dev tips and tricks" section that I haven't
found ?

For the rest of information (e.g. about specific libraries to be used in
develpment) I will either search or ask.

So this is just a friendly "Hello world" message to the dev-list (a more
friendly mail list I hope :-) ).

Best regards,

Daniel

Re: gnome2

Neil Williams-2
On Saturday 23 April 2005 6:14 pm, Daniel Tudosie wrote:
> I have been using gnucash for some time and I am satified for now...
> furthermore, as I have background in IT development (I have studied
> Scheme, I am working as dev in C/C++, etc), I am thinking of getting
> involved in the development of this product...

Welcome!

> Ofcourse I would like to help in the effort of porting gnucash to gnome2

:-) the more the merrier.

> but my
> experience in developing under linux is some-how limited (and note that
> I used the term *experience*).

Take your time and learn the code - as I did (and I'm still learning).

> So I am asking
> what development env. are you using ? (I am using gnome and I
> have installed Anjuta which I am not familiar with;

I use Anjuta - it grows on you as you get used to it. I particularly like the
CVS handling as I use a local CVS repository as well as the GnuCash
repository.

> but I am also a fan
> of gnu emacs) is there a "dev tips and tricks" section that I haven't
> found ?

I've written a small section and there is now more help in the doxygen output
form the source code itself.
http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/
http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/startqof.html

http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/gnucashlibs.html

--

Neil Williams

gnome2

David Jafferian - Sun Microsystems

Hi Dan -

If your experience in developing under linux is limited, then perhaps
you can develop gnucash in an environment with which you are more
familiar.  Gnucash is not strictly a linux application.  I have had
success building it for Solaris, with most likely far less overall
development experience than you possess.  I have heard that it may
even be buildable in a Windows development environment.

--
David N. Jafferian
Solaris Kernel and Drivers

Daniel Tudosie writes:
 > Hi everyone,
 >
 > I have been using gnucash for some time and I am satified for now...
 > furthermore, as I have background in IT development (I have studied
 > Scheme, I am working as dev in C/C++, etc), I am thinking of getting
 > involved in the development of this product...
 >
 > I have been following the user and devel lists for some time for two
 > reasons: I am interested because my (gnu) money are managed through
 > gnucash; I am working in a related field (commercial financial
 > apps/systems).
 >
 > Ofcourse I would like to help in the effort of porting gnucash to gnome2
 > (and b/c I am writing to devel list instead of user list I hope the
 > majority understands the importance of moving gnucash from the tehnical
 > issues of gnome1 to gnome2 - and hoppefully prevent this kind of
 > tech-dependancy situations - to more functional issues) but my
 > experience in developing under linux is some-how limited (and note that
 > I used the term *experience*).
 >
 > So I am asking (for who wants to answer - and not get the same treatment
 > as the user that started the "giving up on gnucash" thread on user
 > mail-list) what development env. are you using ? (I am using gnome and I
 > have installed Anjuta which I am not familiar with; but I am also a fan
 > of gnu emacs) is there a "dev tips and tricks" section that I haven't
 > found ?
 >
 > For the rest of information (e.g. about specific libraries to be used in
 > develpment) I will either search or ask.
 >
 > So this is just a friendly "Hello world" message to the dev-list (a more
 > friendly mail list I hope :-) ).
 >
 > Best regards,
 >
 > Daniel

Re: gnome2

Daniel Tudosie
Hello David,

Thanks for the moral support ;-).
This is an opporunity for me to give the message that I am still here
- testing and playing with the code, following the devel-discussions
(Hi Neil, no, my offer didn't melt away but I want to "get into the
mood" of the devel team); when the time will be right, I will become
active, until then I am just keeping up to date and learning (as much
as my personal time allows it).

There is another reason I am quiet for the time being - the main
effort of the dev team is to finish the port to gnome 2 and I'm not
good at gtk, gui... I am more interested in the data/business logic
kind of stuff... so I will gladly participate/contribute to the
separation of business logic from gui - when this will be raised as
priority (this will prevent similar situations to this "gnome1 =>
gnome 2").

About the platform experience: linux seems to be the most suitable
platform for me in this situation (the only OS I have at home...)

Thanks again and kind regards,
Daniel