gettext problems with SuSE 9.3

Herbert Thoma
Hi!

There seems to be a autoconf/automake/gettext problem with
GnuCash on SuSE 9.3. See the following section of output
of 'make install' (stable branch):

Making install in po
make[1]: Entering directory
`/opt/gnucash/gnucash_cvs/gnucash_stable_work/po'
if test -n ""; then \
    /usr/local/share; \
else \
   /bin/sh ../mkinstalldirs /usr/local/share; \
fi
installing ca.gmo as
/usr/local/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/@GETTEXT_PACKAGE@.mo
installing cs.gmo as
/usr/local/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/@GETTEXT_PACKAGE@.mo
installing da.gmo as
/usr/local/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/@GETTEXT_PACKAGE@.mo
installing de.gmo as
/usr/local/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/@GETTEXT_PACKAGE@.mo
installing el.gmo as
/usr/local/share/locale/el/LC_MESSAGES/@GETTEXT_PACKAGE@.mo

I think the @GETTEXT_PACKAGE@ should be replaced with gnucash ...
So the translations are not found at runtime.

The following versions are installed:
automake (GNU automake) 1.9.5
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
gettext (GNU gettext-runtime) 0.14.1
intltoolize (GNU intltool) 0.33

  Herbert.

Re: gettext problems with SuSE 9.3

Derek Atkins
Quoting Herbert Thoma <[hidden email]>:

> Hi!
>
> There seems to be a autoconf/automake/gettext problem with
> GnuCash on SuSE 9.3. See the following section of output
> of 'make install' (stable branch):
[snip]
> I think the @GETTEXT_PACKAGE@ should be replaced with gnucash ...
> So the translations are not found at runtime.
>
> The following versions are installed:
> automake (GNU automake) 1.9.5
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
> gettext (GNU gettext-runtime) 0.14.1
> intltoolize (GNU intltool) 0.33

I've got the following on my FC3 machine and I don't see this problem:

automake (GNU automake) 1.9.2
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
gettext (GNU gettext-runtime) 0.14.1
intltoolize (GNU intltool) 0.31.2

I doubt it's automake, but it could possibly be intltoolize.

A grep for "gettext" in configure shows only the following:

AM_GNU_GETTEXT([use-libtool])
AC_SEARCH_LIBS(gettext, intl, ,[
        AC_MSG_ERROR([Cannot find gettext -- do you need to build -lintl?])], )

which implies the bug is in the gettext m4 macros, not in our code.

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting Herbert Thoma <[hidden email]>:
>
>>Hi!
>>
>>There seems to be a autoconf/automake/gettext problem with
>>GnuCash on SuSE 9.3. See the following section of output
>>of 'make install' (stable branch):
> [snip]
>>I think the @GETTEXT_PACKAGE@ should be replaced with gnucash ...
>>So the translations are not found at runtime.
<...>
> I doubt it's automake, but it could possibly be intltoolize.
<...>
> which implies the bug is in the gettext m4 macros, not in our code.

I just tried the gnome2 branch. There everything works ...

Well, that gives me hope for the future and for now I can fix
the problem by manually copying the de.gmo file to
PREFIX/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/gnucash.mo

>>  Herbert.
>
> -derek

Herbert.