font problem in ledger view (gnucash 2.x)

font problem in ledger view (gnucash 2.x)

Christian Krause-2
Hi,

During playing with gnucash 2.x I've found an annoying problem:

In each "ledger" or "journal" view (sorry, but is this the correct word
for the view of an account with all its transactions?), all columns with
numbers which are right-justified (at least: Date, Deposit, Withdrawel,
Balance) looks weired, because for in all cells the last part of the
numbers (it seems like two vertical pixel lines) is cut off.

It this a known problem or does anybody has an idea, what's the reason
for it?

If necessary I could send a small image of the problem to the list.

Best regards,
Christian

Re: font problem in ledger view (gnucash 2.x)

David Hampton-2
On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 17:06 +0100, Christian Krause wrote:

> Hi,
>
> During playing with gnucash 2.x I've found an annoying problem:
>
> In each "ledger" or "journal" view (sorry, but is this the correct word
> for the view of an account with all its transactions?), all columns with
> numbers which are right-justified (at least: Date, Deposit, Withdrawel,
> Balance) looks weired, because for in all cells the last part of the
> numbers (it seems like two vertical pixel lines) is cut off.
>
> It this a known problem or does anybody has an idea, what's the reason
> for it?

I don't see the problem. I've got a clear 4 pixel margin between the
last number and the vertical black line.

> If necessary I could send a small image of the problem to the list.

Please do.

What font are you using as your system font?  Have you tried different
fonts?  This is probably just a miscalculation of where to start drawing
the text in the register window.

I tried changing from a 10 point font to a 14 point font to see what
would happen.  My numbers all still look fine, but the bottom of every
line of text is now cut off.  Clearly there are still some problems here
calculating sizes.

David

P.S. You can change the font just for gnucash by creating the file
~/.gtkrc-2.0.gnucash and adding the following:
--- CUT HERE ---
style "gnc-register"
{
  font_name    = "Sans 14"
}
widget "*.GnucashSheet" style "gnc-register"
--- CUT HERE ---

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:54:37 -0500, David Hampton wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 17:06 +0100, Christian Krause wrote:
>> During playing with gnucash 2.x I've found an annoying problem:
>>
>> In each "ledger" or "journal" view (sorry, but is this the correct word
>> for the view of an account with all its transactions?), all columns with
>> numbers which are right-justified (at least: Date, Deposit, Withdrawel,
>> Balance) looks weired, because for in all cells the last part of the
>> numbers (it seems like two vertical pixel lines) is cut off.
>>
>> It this a known problem or does anybody has an idea, what's the reason
>> for it?

> I don't see the problem. I've got a clear 4 pixel margin between the
> last number and the vertical black line.

I see 4 pixel margin between the last number and the vertical black line
as well, but the last digit is not completly drawn.

>> If necessary I could send a small image of the problem to the list.

> Please do.

I'll attach 3 screenshots:
1. gnucash-sans-10.png:
- font "Sans" with size 10
- the filed iwth number "12,88" is not selected (last digit incomplete)
- balance (last digit incomplete)
- the field with number "11,88" is selected (last digit correct)

2. gnucash-sans-8.png
- smaller font, same problem

3. gnucash-sans-14.png
- bigger font, same problem
- bottom is cut off

I've attached only very small parts of the whole window so that the file
size is very small and nobody should be annoyed. The problem seems to be
in all columns with numbers (at least where the numbers are
right-adjusted) e.g. the Date.

> What font are you using as your system font?  Have you tried different

I use the Bitstream Vera font family. Switching to Arial doesn't help.

> fonts?  This is probably just a miscalculation of where to start drawing
> the text in the register window.

It seems, that if I click into a field (which is editable), the text is
drawn correctly.

> I tried changing from a 10 point font to a 14 point font to see what
> would happen.  My numbers all still look fine, but the bottom of every
> line of text is now cut off.  Clearly there are still some problems here
> calculating sizes.

Yes, tha same here, but the width is wrong as well.

> P.S. You can change the font just for gnucash by creating the file
> ~/.gtkrc-2.0.gnucash and adding the following:

Thanks for this hint - it works well. ;-)

Best regards,
Christian

gnucash-sans-8.png (5K) Download Attachment
gnucash-sans-10.png (1K) Download Attachment
gnucash-sans-14.png (2K) Download Attachment