download transactions?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

download transactions?

Steve Kelem-3
How do I download transactions from my bank and my brokerage accounts?  
I see that there's something called HBCI, but I think that's for only
Germany, not the US.

Thanks,
Steve
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: download transactions?

Derek Atkins
Quoting Steve Kelem <[hidden email]>:

> How do I download transactions from my bank and my brokerage accounts?
> I see that there's something called HBCI, but I think that's for only
> Germany, not the US.

Correct.  In the US there is OFX Direct Connect.  GnuCash DOES support
this, but you don't have the necessary support libraries to get it
to work.  I can assure you that this is the case because you need
an unreleased version of LibOFX to get OFX Direct Connect working.

Once LibOFX 0.8.2 gets released (probably not for another month or more,
unless you can convince Benoit to do it) then it should be relatively
easy.   Supposedly...

-derek


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: download transactions?

David Reiser

On Aug 24, 2006, at 8:08 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Quoting Steve Kelem <[hidden email]>:
>
>> How do I download transactions from my bank and my brokerage  
>> accounts?
>> I see that there's something called HBCI, but I think that's for only
>> Germany, not the US.
>
> Correct.  In the US there is OFX Direct Connect.  GnuCash DOES support
> this, but you don't have the necessary support libraries to get it
> to work.  I can assure you that this is the case because you need
> an unreleased version of LibOFX to get OFX Direct Connect working.
>
> Once LibOFX 0.8.2 gets released (probably not for another month or  
> more,
> unless you can convince Benoit to do it) then it should be relatively
> easy.   Supposedly...
>
> -derek
>
Now that libofx 0.8.2 is out (Yay!), ofx connections easier to set up  
than ofx.py, but one still must look up the ofx server web address  
manually in the files included with aqbanking.

OFXDirectConnect works well for bank account and credit card account  
transaction downloads. But Aqbanking doesn't yet handle stock trades  
in a useful way in conjunction with GnuCash.

So for brokerage accounts, one must use the Import->OFX/QFX facility  
in GnuCash after obtaining the ofx file via external means. The two  
external means I have used are downloads from brokerage web sites  
that support "Downloads to Quicken" or "Quicken WebConnect" (as  
distinct from DirectConnect); or by using ofx.py to download files.

Dave
--
David Reiser
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: download transactions?

J. David Beutel-3
David Reiser <[hidden email]> wrote on Friday, August 25, 2006
14:25:08:
> Now that libofx 0.8.2 is out (Yay!), ofx connections easier to set up  
> than ofx.py, but one still must look up the ofx server web address  
> manually in the files included with aqbanking.
>
> OFXDirectConnect works well for bank account and credit card account  
> transaction downloads.

Is OFX better than QIF?  My bank and credit card have QIF downloads, so
should I see if they also have OFX?  I haven't tried either yet.

Cheers,
11011011
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: download transactions?

Andre Powell
In reply to this post by David Reiser
A couple of  questions:
1. Is there an eta on LibOFX 0.8.2 and GnuCash 2.0.1
to fink (especially for 10.3.9 waiting to get Leopard
with my new Mac next year) - I tried using a later
version of LibOFX 0.7.0-2 and could not import anymore
2. How would one modify ofx-ba.py to only download the
last seven days - since my routine is every few days
to download

--- David Reiser <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Aug 24, 2006, at 8:08 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Quoting Steve Kelem <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >> How do I download transactions from my bank and
> my brokerage  
> >> accounts?
> >> I see that there's something called HBCI, but I
> think that's for only
> >> Germany, not the US.
> >
> > Correct.  In the US there is OFX Direct Connect.
> GnuCash DOES support
> > this, but you don't have the necessary support
> libraries to get it
> > to work.  I can assure you that this is the case
> because you need
> > an unreleased version of LibOFX to get OFX Direct
> Connect working.
> >
> > Once LibOFX 0.8.2 gets released (probably not for
> another month or  
> > more,
> > unless you can convince Benoit to do it) then it
> should be relatively
> > easy.   Supposedly...
> >
> > -derek
> >
> Now that libofx 0.8.2 is out (Yay!), ofx connections
> easier to set up  
> than ofx.py, but one still must look up the ofx
> server web address  
> manually in the files included with aqbanking.
>
> OFXDirectConnect works well for bank account and
> credit card account  
> transaction downloads. But Aqbanking doesn't yet
> handle stock trades  
> in a useful way in conjunction with GnuCash.
>
> So for brokerage accounts, one must use the
> Import->OFX/QFX facility  
> in GnuCash after obtaining the ofx file via external
> means. The two  
> external means I have used are downloads from
> brokerage web sites  
> that support "Downloads to Quicken" or "Quicken
> WebConnect" (as  
> distinct from DirectConnect); or by using ofx.py to
> download files.
>
> Dave
> --
> David Reiser
> [hidden email]
>
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
>
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: download transactions?

David Reiser
In reply to this post by J. David Beutel-3

On Aug 25, 2006, at 8:47 PM, J. David Beutel wrote:

> David Reiser <[hidden email]> wrote on Friday, August 25,  
> 2006 14:25:08:
>> Now that libofx 0.8.2 is out (Yay!), ofx connections easier to set  
>> up  than ofx.py, but one still must look up the ofx server web  
>> address  manually in the files included with aqbanking.
>>
>> OFXDirectConnect works well for bank account and credit card  
>> account  transaction downloads.
>
> Is OFX better than QIF?  My bank and credit card have QIF  
> downloads, so should I see if they also have OFX?  I haven't tried  
> either yet.
>
> Cheers,
> 11011011

ofx is infinitely better than qif. A bit strong, perhaps, but a very  
big issue with qif is that there is no unique transaction identifier.  
So if you happen to get overlapping downloads (less of an issue with  
aqbanking than ofx.py, but still...), you get to manually identify  
duplicates. Yuck. There are other technical issues with qif, but for  
me the biggest annoyance is the lack of transaction ID.

My experience suggests that the bank would call it a Quicken download  
rather than ofx. Sometimes MSMoney downloads show up as either ofx or  
ofc files. Libofx can handle ofc files, but there are a few glitches.

These days if banks are still offering QIF downloads (no longer  
supported by Quicken on the Windows platform), usually it means they  
have chosen not to pay the exorbitant licensing fee Intuit is  
demanding for an ofx server license. OTOH, there are some financial  
organizations that are providing 'Quicken downloads' without  
supporting the direct link into Quicken. Go figure. Good Luck.

Dave
--
David Reiser
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: download transactions?

David Reiser
In reply to this post by Andre Powell

On Aug 25, 2006, at 9:15 PM, Andre Powell wrote:

> A couple of  questions:
> 1. Is there an eta on LibOFX 0.8.2 and GnuCash 2.0.1
> to fink (especially for 10.3.9 waiting to get Leopard
> with my new Mac next year) - I tried using a later
> version of LibOFX 0.7.0-2 and could not import anymore
> 2. [snipped]

I don't know about 10.3. The 10.4 unstable version should be up  
within days. At the moment (since libofx 0.8.2 was only release about  
12 hours ago) the fink experimental version of GnuCash 2.0.1 uses  
libofx 0.8.0, aqbanking 2.2.0, and gwenhywfar 2.3.1. It worked for me  
last weekend. There were a few details to iron out with the packaging  
file, but it's almost done.

I was surprised that the experimental version even worked for me with  
OFXDirectConnect. All my out-of-fink-tree compiled stuff is in /opt,  
and /opt is nowhere in my path, so I was working under the assumption  
that I wouldn't interfere with the fink-only install. I suppose the  
gnucash conf files might point to the newer version of libofx in /
opt???? Anyway, I don't see any reason why libofx 0.8.2 won't show up  
very soon in fink.

As for 10.3 vs. 10.4, there are a lot of packages that show up in the  
same version for 10.3 as 10.4, but I know zero about the limitations  
of that seeming compatibility.

With respect to libofx 0.7.0-2 vs 0.7.0-1, did you recompile gnucash  
after the libofx upgrade? They moved some things around in libofx1 vs  
libofx1-shlibs, so that may have screwed up something with importing.  
(My understanding is that that particular type of failure isn't  
supposed to happen -- such effects are supposed to cause a name  
change, or something. But my understanding is limited...)

Dave
--
David Reiser
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: download transactions?

Andre Powell
Hopefully an experimental will be available for 10.3.9 I can always wait for a stable, as of right now the only thing that I really would like is budget capabilities - easily fixed with an OO spreadsheet/database who knows. Or I can always get adventurous and compile it myself. (BTW The Little budget tool  has anyone got around the Qt_UIC issue during a configure on a Mac.)
  There seems to be an issue in downloading the binary (LibOFX) and getting everything setup right with GnuCash (and fink) so I looked through my notes --- and I used the source which works better.
   
 

David Reiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
 
On Aug 25, 2006, at 9:15 PM, Andre Powell wrote:

> A couple of questions:
> 1. Is there an eta on LibOFX 0.8.2 and GnuCash 2.0.1
> to fink (especially for 10.3.9 waiting to get Leopard
> with my new Mac next year) - I tried using a later
> version of LibOFX 0.7.0-2 and could not import anymore
> 2. [snipped]

I don't know about 10.3. The 10.4 unstable version should be up
within days. At the moment (since libofx 0.8.2 was only release about
12 hours ago) the fink experimental version of GnuCash 2.0.1 uses
libofx 0.8.0, aqbanking 2.2.0, and gwenhywfar 2.3.1. It worked for me
last weekend. There were a few details to iron out with the packaging
file, but it's almost done.

I was surprised that the experimental version even worked for me with
OFXDirectConnect. All my out-of-fink-tree compiled stuff is in /opt,
and /opt is nowhere in my path, so I was working under the assumption
that I wouldn't interfere with the fink-only install. I suppose the
gnucash conf files might point to the newer version of libofx in /
opt???? Anyway, I don't see any reason why libofx 0.8.2 won't show up
very soon in fink.

As for 10.3 vs. 10.4, there are a lot of packages that show up in the
same version for 10.3 as 10.4, but I know zero about the limitations
of that seeming compatibility.

With respect to libofx 0.7.0-2 vs 0.7.0-1, did you recompile gnucash
after the libofx upgrade? They moved some things around in libofx1 vs
libofx1-shlibs, so that may have screwed up something with importing.
(My understanding is that that particular type of failure isn't
supposed to happen -- such effects are supposed to cause a name
change, or something. But my understanding is limited...)

Dave
--
David Reiser
[hidden email]



 
---------------------------------
Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com.  Check it out.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.