debian stretch upgrade has made gnucash unworkable

debian stretch upgrade has made gnucash unworkable

johnny saylor
hi

i'm not sure what's wrong, but gnucash no longer starts up for me. i've
attached the screen dump which may help someone smarter than me to
figure out what's happened.

to reiterate, once i upgraded my debian installation to stretch i've had
nothing from gnucash. i've tried uninstall and reinstalling ...

any help or pointers would be warmly welcomed.

danke

gnucash-fail-dump.txt (11K) Download Attachment

Re: debian stretch upgrade has made gnucash unworkable

GnuCash - User mailing list
Johnny,

I wish I could offer you some guidance, but I have none to offer, sorry.

Maybe you should switch to Windows...  ;)

(Said because whenever someone on Windows has a problem, someone always seems to suggest switching to Linux)

David

On vrijdag 11 augustus 2017 20:16:26 CEST johnny saylor wrote:

> hi
>
> i'm not sure what's wrong, but gnucash no longer starts up for me. i've
> attached the screen dump which may help someone smarter than me to
> figure out what's happened.
>
> to reiterate, once i upgraded my debian installation to stretch i've had
> nothing from gnucash. i've tried uninstall and reinstalling ...
>
> any help or pointers would be warmly welcomed.
>
> danke

Hi Johnny,

The error log you have attached indicates a problem with guile 2.0 on your
system. It doesn't even get to starting gnucash. At first glance the guile 2
package is finding scm files that are newer than their compiled counterparts
and so starts recompiling them. That should not happen with guile's own files.

Your best bet is to check with your debian packager for guile what's going on.

Re: debian stretch upgrade has made gnucash unworkable

Mike or Penny Novack-3
On 8/11/2017 2:37 PM, D via gnucash-user wrote:
> Johnny,
>
> I wish I could offer you some guidance, but I have none to offer, sorry.
>
> Maybe you should switch to Windows...  ;)
>
> (Said because whenever someone on Windows has a problem, someone always seems to suggest switching to Linux)

A perhaps more useful suggestion?

Always prepare in advance to back out changes.
        In other words, before any major software change (in this case
an update) which I will call a "build" you make a full back up, one of
"system" (software) and one of "data". You then do the build and test
that all of your critical software is still working with the new
"system". If not, you have an easy path to restore to the pre-build version.

Michael D Novack

Re: debian stretch upgrade has made gnucash unworkable

johnny saylor
hallo

On 08/11/2017 03:02 PM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> The error log you have attached indicates a problem with guile 2.0 on your
> system.
> Your best bet is to check with your debian packager for guile what's going on.

dank.

i thought it might be something like that. installing and uninstalling
guile-2.0 or gnucash didn't help. i also had guile-1.8 on there because
it was used for lilypond [musical notation] ... so i got rid of that.
anyway, regardless of what i've done so far, i still get the same errors.

i saw some notes about debian stretch and guile-2.0 and lilypond in a
quick search, so i am apparently not the only one. fortunately, i can
run gnucash on a freebsd host without complication, so that is where i
am going to have to do it until debian gets this shit figured out ...

once again, thanks for helping me out here.