dealing with invoices and QIF imports

12

dealing with invoices and QIF imports

Leigh Morresi
heya's

Something i've never been able to clear-up for myself even tho i'm
following the recipe from the documentation, can someone shed some
light?

Im creating an invoice, with the 'Income account' set to
"Income:consulting" and "Post"'ing it to my Assets -> A/R

http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/bus-ar-invoices1.html

And then once i receive payment i process the payment as per

http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/bus-ar-payment1.html

So now now the payment is "Transfer account: Assets -> Checking" which
is all cool.

now the part i dont understand

I'm doing a QIF import from my bank, I have a structure as thus;

+ Assets
  - Accounts Receivable
+ Expenses
  - Computer Repairs
+ Income
  - Consulting
+ MyBank

When I import a .QIF it asks me for an 'Account Name' so i enter
'MyBank' - now i end up with a 'MyBank' entry in my account tree (whhich
is fine i guess? or should this be elsewhere?)

I tell it to put payments in the QIF import for monies for work i've
invoced for into "Income:consulting"

Now when i view "Income:consulting" i see have duplicates of just about
everything, the "Transfer" field says either "Assets->A/R" or "MyBank"

so it looks like my income:consulting is roughly twice that of what i
should be at.

what am i doing wrong?? should i be deleting the items from my
"Income:consulting" that have a transfer of "MyBank" ? (so that
Income:consulting always shows my total income not includin the fact
that those invoices might not have been paid - altho this difference
*should* be sighted in accounts receivable?)

cheers

leigh

Re: dealing with invoices and QIF imports

Leigh Morresi <[hidden email]> writes:

[snip]

> So now now the payment is "Transfer account: Assets -> Checking" which
> is all cool.
>
> now the part i dont understand
>
> I'm doing a QIF import from my bank, I have a structure as thus;
>

> + Assets
>   - Accounts Receivable
> + Expenses
>   - Computer Repairs
> + Income
>   - Consulting
> + MyBank
>
> When I import a .QIF it asks me for an 'Account Name' so i enter
> 'MyBank' - now i end up with a 'MyBank' entry in my account tree (whhich
> is fine i guess? or should this be elsewhere?)

No, you should set it to "Assets -> Checking"

> I tell it to put payments in the QIF import for monies for work i've
> invoced for into "Income:consulting"

You should not import these transactions; if anything they should
go against A/R, but the importer wont like that.

> Now when i view "Income:consulting" i see have duplicates of just about
> everything, the "Transfer" field says either "Assets->A/R" or "MyBank"

Right..

> so it looks like my income:consulting is roughly twice that of what i
> should be at.

Right..

> what am i doing wrong?? should i be deleting the items from my
> "Income:consulting" that have a transfer of "MyBank" ? (so that
> Income:consulting always shows my total income not includin the fact
> that those invoices might not have been paid - altho this difference
> *should* be sighted in accounts receivable?)

You duplicated your bank account (MyBank v. Assets -> Checking)
You duplicated your income (Invoicing A/R v. QIF Import).

You'll need to delete your imported QIF transactions.

Going forward you'll probably need to delete your payment transactions
because it's likely that you wont be able to mark them as duplicates.

> cheers
>
> leigh

Re: dealing with invoices and QIF imports

Charles Day
On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:08 AM, Leigh Morresi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> heya's
>

> Something i've never been able to clear-up for myself even tho i'm
> following the recipe from the documentation, can someone shed some
> light?
>

> Im creating an invoice, with the 'Income account' set to
> "Income:consulting" and "Post"'ing it to my Assets -> A/R
>

> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/bus-ar-invoices1.html
>

> And then once i receive payment i process the payment as per
>
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/bus-ar-payment1.html
>
> So now now the payment is "Transfer account: Assets -> Checking" which
> is all cool.
>
> now the part i dont understand
>
> I'm doing a QIF import from my bank, I have a structure as thus;
>

> + Assets
>  - Accounts Receivable
> + Expenses
>  - Computer Repairs
> + Income
>  - Consulting
> + MyBank
>
> When I import a .QIF it asks me for an 'Account Name' so i enter
> 'MyBank' - now i end up with a 'MyBank' entry in my account tree (whhich
> is fine i guess? or should this be elsewhere?)

If the bank account already exists in GnuCash as Assets:Checking, then
that's what you should tell the QIF importer instead of making up a new name
(MyBank).

I tell it to put payments in the QIF import for monies for work i've

> invoced for into "Income:consulting"
>
> Now when i view "Income:consulting" i see have duplicates of just about
> everything, the "Transfer" field says either "Assets->A/R" or "MyBank"
>
> so it looks like my income:consulting is roughly twice that of what i
> should be at.
>
> what am i doing wrong?? should i be deleting the items from my
> "Income:consulting" that have a transfer of "MyBank" ? (so that
> Income:consulting always shows my total income not includin the fact
> that those invoices might not have been paid - altho this difference
> *should* be sighted in accounts receivable?)

What you are manually entering into GnuCash sounds reasonable to me. Now if
you set up the QIF import correctly, all the transfers from Assets:A/R to
Assets:Checking that have already been entered by hand should get noticed
during duplicate detection, allowing you to check them off and avoid
importing duplicates.  However, since you seem to be saying that the
imported transactions are transferring from Income:Consulting rather than
Assets:A/R, take a good look at the account, category, and payee/memo
mapping pages of the QIF importer.  Anywhere you see Income:Consulting, you
should change it to Assets:A/R.

Cheers,
Charles

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 10:50 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Leigh Morresi <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> [snip]
> > So now now the payment is "Transfer account: Assets -> Checking" which
> > is all cool.
> >
> > now the part i dont understand
> >
> > I'm doing a QIF import from my bank, I have a structure as thus;
> >

> > + Assets
> >   - Accounts Receivable
> > + Expenses
> >   - Computer Repairs
> > + Income
> >   - Consulting
> > + MyBank
> >
> > When I import a .QIF it asks me for an 'Account Name' so i enter
> > 'MyBank' - now i end up with a 'MyBank' entry in my account tree (whhich
> > is fine i guess? or should this be elsewhere?)
> No, you should set it to "Assets -> Checking"

Well thats the thing, it's a textfield - not a select list, you mean i
should actually type in "Assets -> Checking" ? that's why i just typed
in "MyBank"

> > I tell it to put payments in the QIF import for monies for work i've
> > invoced for into "Income:consulting"
>
> You should not import these transactions; if anything they should
> go against A/R, but the importer wont like that.

Ok so i should be "filtering" these out from my QIF file and use a human
to check their balance deposited into my bank account to "Process
payment" on the invoice? sounds reasonable to me

> > Now when i view "Income:consulting" i see have duplicates of just about
> > everything, the "Transfer" field says either "Assets->A/R" or "MyBank"
>
> Right..
>
> > so it looks like my income:consulting is roughly twice that of what i
> > should be at.
>
> Right..
>
> > what am i doing wrong?? should i be deleting the items from my
> > "Income:consulting" that have a transfer of "MyBank" ? (so that
> > Income:consulting always shows my total income not includin the fact
> > that those invoices might not have been paid - altho this difference
> > *should* be sighted in accounts receivable?)
>
> You duplicated your bank account (MyBank v. Assets -> Checking)
> You duplicated your income (Invoicing A/R v. QIF Import).
>
> You'll need to delete your imported QIF transactions.
>
> Going forward you'll probably need to delete your payment transactions
> because it's likely that you wont be able to mark them as duplicates.

Yeh that is what i was thinking, sounds like a good idea

> > cheers
> >
> > leigh

thanks

leigh

--
Leigh Morresi
+61401883741

Re: dealing with invoices and QIF imports

Leigh Morresi
Charles

thanks for your reply

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 08:03 -0700, Charles Day wrote:

> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:08 AM, Leigh Morresi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         heya's
>

>         Something i've never been able to clear-up for myself even tho
>         i'm
>         following the recipe from the documentation, can someone shed
>         some
>         light?
>

>         Im creating an invoice, with the 'Income account' set to
>         "Income:consulting" and "Post"'ing it to my Assets -> A/R
>

>         http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/bus-ar-invoices1.html
>

>         And then once i receive payment i process the payment as per
>
>         http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/bus-ar-payment1.html
>
>         So now now the payment is "Transfer account: Assets ->
>         Checking" which
>         is all cool.
>
>         now the part i dont understand
>
>         I'm doing a QIF import from my bank, I have a structure as
>         thus;
>

>         + Assets
>          - Accounts Receivable
>         + Expenses
>          - Computer Repairs
>         + Income
>          - Consulting
>         + MyBank
>
>         When I import a .QIF it asks me for an 'Account Name' so i
>         enter
>         'MyBank' - now i end up with a 'MyBank' entry in my account
>         tree (whhich
>         is fine i guess? or should this be elsewhere?)
>
> If the bank account already exists in GnuCash as Assets:Checking, then
> that's what you should tell the QIF importer instead of making up a
> new name (MyBank).

My gnucash gives me a textfield to enter not a select list...

>         I tell it to put payments in the QIF import for monies for
>         work i've
>         invoced for into "Income:consulting"
>
>         Now when i view "Income:consulting" i see have duplicates of
>         just about
>         everything, the "Transfer" field says either "Assets->A/R" or
>         "MyBank"
>
>         so it looks like my income:consulting is roughly twice that of
>         what i
>         should be at.
>
>         what am i doing wrong?? should i be deleting the items from my
>         "Income:consulting" that have a transfer of "MyBank" ? (so
>         that
>         Income:consulting always shows my total income not includin
>         the fact
>         that those invoices might not have been paid - altho this
>         difference
>         *should* be sighted in accounts receivable?)
>
> What you are manually entering into GnuCash sounds reasonable to me.
> Now if you set up the QIF import correctly, all the transfers from
> Assets:A/R to Assets:Checking that have already been entered by hand
> should get noticed during duplicate detection, allowing you to check
> them off and avoid importing duplicates.  However, since you seem to
> be saying that the imported transactions are transferring from
> Income:Consulting rather than Assets:A/R, take a good look at the
> account, category, and payee/memo mapping pages of the QIF importer.
> Anywhere you see Income:Consulting, you should change it to
> Assets:A/R.

http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/bus-ar-invoices1.html

So you mean on the invoice where it says (in this documentation under
the Edit section) "Income:sales" it should be "Assets:A/R" ?

thanks

leigh

--
Leigh Morresi
+61401883741

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Leigh Morresi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Charles
>
> thanks for your reply
>
> On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 08:03 -0700, Charles Day wrote:
> > On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:08 AM, Leigh Morresi <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >         heya's
> >

> >         Something i've never been able to clear-up for myself even tho
> >         i'm
> >         following the recipe from the documentation, can someone shed
> >         some
> >         light?
> >

> >         Im creating an invoice, with the 'Income account' set to
> >         "Income:consulting" and "Post"'ing it to my Assets -> A/R
> >

> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/bus-ar-invoices1.html
> >

> >         And then once i receive payment i process the payment as per
> >

> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/bus-ar-payment1.html
> >
> >         So now now the payment is "Transfer account: Assets ->
> >         Checking" which
> >         is all cool.
> >
> >         now the part i dont understand
> >
> >         I'm doing a QIF import from my bank, I have a structure as
> >         thus;
> >

> >         + Assets
> >          - Accounts Receivable
> >         + Expenses
> >          - Computer Repairs
> >         + Income
> >          - Consulting
> >         + MyBank
> >
> >         When I import a .QIF it asks me for an 'Account Name' so i
> >         enter
> >         'MyBank' - now i end up with a 'MyBank' entry in my account
> >         tree (whhich
> >         is fine i guess? or should this be elsewhere?)
> >
> > If the bank account already exists in GnuCash as Assets:Checking, then
> > that's what you should tell the QIF importer instead of making up a
> > new name (MyBank).
>
> My gnucash gives me a textfield to enter not a select list...

Simply type Assets:Checking into the text field, or whatever is the name of
your existing account.

> >         I tell it to put payments in the QIF import for monies for
> >         work i've
> >         invoced for into "Income:consulting"
> >
> >         Now when i view "Income:consulting" i see have duplicates of
> >         just about
> >         everything, the "Transfer" field says either "Assets->A/R" or
> >         "MyBank"
> >
> >         so it looks like my income:consulting is roughly twice that of
> >         what i
> >         should be at.
> >
> >         what am i doing wrong?? should i be deleting the items from my
> >         "Income:consulting" that have a transfer of "MyBank" ? (so
> >         that
> >         Income:consulting always shows my total income not includin
> >         the fact
> >         that those invoices might not have been paid - altho this
> >         difference
> >         *should* be sighted in accounts receivable?)
> >
> > What you are manually entering into GnuCash sounds reasonable to me.
> > Now if you set up the QIF import correctly, all the transfers from
> > Assets:A/R to Assets:Checking that have already been entered by hand
> > should get noticed during duplicate detection, allowing you to check
> > them off and avoid importing duplicates.  However, since you seem to
> > be saying that the imported transactions are transferring from
> > Income:Consulting rather than Assets:A/R, take a good look at the
> > account, category, and payee/memo mapping pages of the QIF importer.
> > Anywhere you see Income:Consulting, you should change it to
> > Assets:A/R.
>
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/bus-ar-invoices1.html
>
> So you mean on the invoice where it says (in this documentation under
> the Edit section) "Income:sales" it should be "Assets:A/R" ?

When enter your checking deposits by hand, you are transferring from
Assets:A/R to Assets:Checking, correct?  And I think you said that imported
checking deposits are instead transferring from Income:Consulting to
Assets:Checking (or would be, if you entered Assets:Checking instead of
MyBank). If those two things are true, then I'm suggesting that while in the
QIF importer, you change any existing mappings for "Income:Consulting" to
"Assets:A/R". Then the imported deposits should get detected as possible
duplicates of your existing, hand-entered deposits.

I didn't say anything about changing how you enter invoices. I really don't
know about the business part of GnuCash.

-Charles

> thanks
>
> leigh
>

> > Cheers,
> > Charles
> >

> >         cheers
> >
> >         leigh

> >         Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> >         You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
> >
> --
> Leigh Morresi
> +61401883741
> [hidden email]
> http://dgtlmoon.com
> skype: dgtlmoon

Re: dealing with invoices and QIF imports

Leigh Morresi

Cool, i'll give it a go shortly

sounds like a bit of an oversight in the UI if it it asking for you to
*type* in an "Account name:" instead of selectin it from a list, surely?

theres nothing else in gnucash that acts this way... it seems to be all
select lists, and users dont know to use the "parent{colon}child"
syntax?

leigh

--
Leigh Morresi
+61401883741

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:46 PM, Leigh Morresi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool, i'll give it a go shortly
>
> sounds like a bit of an oversight in the UI if it it asking for you to
> *type* in an "Account name:" instead of selectin it from a list, surely?

Yeah, it's pretty lame. The QIF importer won't win any beauty contests.
-Charles

> [...]
> >         >         gnucash-user mailing list
> >         >         [hidden email]
> >         >
> >         https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> >         >         -----
> >         >         Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> >         >         You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
> >         >
> >

> >         --
> >         Leigh Morresi
> >         +61401883741
> >         [hidden email]
> >         http://dgtlmoon.com
> >         skype: dgtlmoon
> >

> --
> Leigh Morresi
> +61401883741
> [hidden email]
> http://dgtlmoon.com
> skype: dgtlmoon

Re: dealing with invoices and QIF imports

I wish developers would realise how important the UI is.

I've been - believe it or not - stuck on this same issue for maybe 2 or
3 years and have just been "plowing ahead" with my old ways and working
around having duplicates.

All because I should have been selecting an existing account name/branch
instead of typing in an arbitrary account name??

leigh

--
Leigh Morresi
+61401883741

Re: dealing with invoices and QIF imports

Derek Atkins
Oh, we understand the importance.  The QIF Importer UI was written, oh
a decade ago... Well before ANY of the current developers even started
working on GnuCash.  Nobody has offered to re-implement it, and in the
name of "if it aint broke, don't fix it" nobody has wanted to touch it
either.

As for knowing to type <foo>:<bar> --- that UI is EVERYWHERE in the
application.  The only difference is that elsewhere there are additional
UI features to help you along, like QuickFill or dropdown lists.  But
it's there, everywhere, if you look.

-derek

Quoting Leigh Morresi <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>>         >
>>         >         --
>>         >         Leigh Morresi
>>         >         +61401883741
>>         >         [hidden email]
>>         >         http://dgtlmoon.com
>>         >         skype: dgtlmoon
>>         >
>>         >
>>         >
>>
>>         --
>>
>>         Leigh Morresi
>>         +61401883741
>>         [hidden email]
>>         http://dgtlmoon.com
>>         skype: dgtlmoon
>>

> --
> Leigh Morresi
> +61401883741
> [hidden email]
> http://dgtlmoon.com
> skype: dgtlmoon

Re: dealing with invoices and QIF imports

Sounds good, tho in my many years of using gnucash it never dawned on me
to use this kind of syntax in the "account name"

maybe for now we could just some extra text to saying something to give
the user a bit of a heads up about what to enter here, ie "Assets:AR"

might be a fun easy hack for myself?

i'de like to start contributing to this project somehow, that would be a
great start :)

leigh

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 21:17 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> [...]
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         > Cheers,
> >>         >         > Charles
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >         cheers
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >         leigh
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >         Please remember to CC this list on all
> >>         your replies.
> >>         >         >         You can do this by using Reply-To-List or

Leigh Morresi
+61401883741
[hidden email]
http://dgtlmoon.com
skype: dgtlmoon

Re: dealing with invoices and QIF imports

Leigh Morresi
hi all

Ok i just tried to import my QIF by typing "Assets: Accounts Receivable"
into the "To Account:" field of the .QIF importer.

To cut this short - im getting this new account show up after i import

"* Assets 2    QIF Import: name conflict with another account
  * Accounts Receivable  $0.00
"

as per the advice of someone from this list to type in the A/R account

heres the steps i took.

* New file

* select business accounts so i have "Assets: Accounts Receivable"
already

* create a new client called 'test'

* create a new invoice for 'test', i set "Income Account" to
"Income:Sales" as theres no Assets in the drop-down list for this one.
The invoice contains one entry for "project" at a cost of $500

* Post invoice to "Assets: Accounts Receivable"

Now in my account tree i see that ;

Assets:Accounts Receivable is +$500
Income:Sales is +$500

I import the following QIF..

!Type:Bank
D02/05/2008
T500.00
MDIRECT CREDIT INVOICE 01
^

and set "Account Name:" to "Assets:Accounts Receivable"

now im getting a new account called

* Assets 2    QIF Import: name conflict with another account
  * Accounts Receivable  $0.00

Im *really really* struggling to make basic use of gnucash, it seems to
have a lot of features but im not sure why this is so hard?

> [...]

> >>         >         >
> >>         >         > Cheers,
> >>         >         > Charles
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >         cheers
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >         leigh
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >
> >>         >         >         Please remember to CC this list on all
> >>         your replies.
> >>         >         >         You can do this by using Reply-To-List or

Leigh Morresi
+61401883741
[hidden email]
http://dgtlmoon.com
skype: dgtlmoon

Re: dealing with invoices and QIF imports

Derek Atkins
Leigh Morresi <[hidden email]> writes:

> hi all
>
> Ok i just tried to import my QIF by typing "Assets: Accounts Receivable"
> into the "To Account:" field of the .QIF importer.
>
> To cut this short - im getting this new account show up after i import
>
> "* Assets 2    QIF Import: name conflict with another account
>   * Accounts Receivable  $0.00
> "
>
> as per the advice of someone from this list to type in the A/R account

Yeah, that was bad advice.  The problem here is that A/R is
an Asset account, but as far as the QIF is concerned it's
Income.  You should make a new account, Income:QIF-Consulting,
and use that for the QIF importer.

Then, after you import the QIF you can manually verify that all
those transactions match your business transactions... And remove
the duplicates from I:Q-C.

Unfortunately QIF just doesn't play well with Business.

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Leigh Morresi <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > hi all
> >
> > Ok i just tried to import my QIF by typing "Assets: Accounts Receivable"
> > into the "To Account:" field of the .QIF importer.
> >
> > To cut this short - im getting this new account show up after i import
> >
> > "* Assets 2    QIF Import: name conflict with another account
> >   * Accounts Receivable  $0.00
> > "
> >
> > as per the advice of someone from this list to type in the A/R account

Not sure where you got that idea... I don't think it was from me. What I
said was that, first, on the "Set the default QIF account name" page you
type in Assets:Checking rather than MyBank. Second, on the mapping pages,
substitute Assets:A/R wherever you see Income:Consulting (this part is all
point/click). If you are finding this all a bit confusing, you might try
turning on the QIF importer's documentation pages. From the main GnuCash
window, click Edit->Preferences. In the Online Banking section, check "Show
documentation".

-Charles

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Leigh Morresi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds good, tho in my many years of using gnucash it never dawned on me
> to use this kind of syntax in the "account name"
>
> maybe for now we could just some extra text to saying something to give
> the user a bit of a heads up about what to enter here, ie "Assets:AR"
>
> might be a fun easy hack for myself?
>
> i'de like to start contributing to this project somehow, that would be a
> great start :)

If you want to try playing with the text in the labels, you can use a text
editor on a file named qif.glade on your computer (search for it).  Make a
backup first. No recompiling... just edit the file, save, and start the QIF
importer again.

However, keep in mind that any minor adjustments to text labels will affect
all the existing translations, so it might not be a bad idea to rethink the
entire design of that page and really make all the improvements at once. It
really needs an account tree to pick an account from, and that takes changes
to the C code.

-Charles

Quoting Charles Day <[hidden email]>:

>> > as per the advice of someone from this list to type in the A/R account
>>

> Not sure where you got that idea... I don't think it was from me. What I
> said was that, first, on the "Set the default QIF account name" page you
> type in Assets:Checking rather than MyBank. Second, on the mapping pages,
> substitute Assets:A/R wherever you see Income:Consulting (this part is all
> point/click). If you are finding this all a bit confusing, you might try
> turning on the QIF importer's documentation pages. From the main GnuCash
> window, click Edit->Preferences. In the Online Banking section, check "Show
> documentation".

Yes, and it's this SECOND part that's the problem.  You're telling
the QIF Importer that you have an Income Account called "Assets:A/R".
The importer dutifully does what you told it, making sure there's an
Income Account Assets:A/R, but because there's an incompatible-type
account of that name already it creates a new account tree.  Voila,
you now have Assets2:A/R2 of type Income.

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting Charles Day <[hidden email]>:
>
>  > as per the advice of someone from this list to type in the A/R account
>>>

>> Not sure where you got that idea... I don't think it was from me. What I
>> said was that, first, on the "Set the default QIF account name" page you
>> type in Assets:Checking rather than MyBank. Second, on the mapping pages,
>> substitute Assets:A/R wherever you see Income:Consulting (this part is all
>> point/click). If you are finding this all a bit confusing, you might try
>> turning on the QIF importer's documentation pages. From the main GnuCash
>> window, click Edit->Preferences. In the Online Banking section, check
>> "Show
>> documentation".
>>

> Yes, and it's this SECOND part that's the problem.  You're telling
> the QIF Importer that you have an Income Account called "Assets:A/R".
> The importer dutifully does what you told it, making sure there's an
> Income Account Assets:A/R, but because there's an incompatible-type
> account of that name already it creates a new account tree.  Voila,
> you now have Assets2:A/R2 of type Income.

Well no one is telling the importer that it's an income account. It must be
defaulting, and it shouldn't do that if Assets:A/R already exists. An Asset
account type should be considered compatible.

Does he really have an existing GnuCash account named Assets:A/R, or is the
name perhaps slightly different, like Assets:Accounts Receivable? That could
explain the behavior.

-Charles

>  -Charles
>>

>>  Yeah, that was bad advice.  The problem here is that A/R is
>>> an Asset account, but as far as the QIF is concerned it's
>>> Income.You should make a new account, Income:QIF-Consulting,
>>> and use that for the QIF importer.
>>>
>>> Then, after you import the QIF you can manually verify that all
>>> those transactions match your business transactions... And remove
>>> the duplicates from I:Q-C.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately QIF just doesn't play well with Business.
>>>
>>> -derek

>      Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>      Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>      [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: dealing with invoices and QIF imports

Derek Atkins
Quoting Charles Day <[hidden email]>:

> Well no one is telling the importer that it's an income account. It must be
> defaulting, and it shouldn't do that if Assets:A/R already exists. An Asset
> account type should be considered compatible.

The QIF is.   You should know that.  QIF Accounts are Asset/Liabilities.
Everything else is Income/Expense.  So yes, there is a default account
type based on the actual QIF transaction information.  Whether or not
this is right or wrong I leave for another day, but the way the QIF
importer is currently structured makes it very hard to just remove
this....

> Does he really have an existing GnuCash account named Assets:A/R, or is the
> name perhaps slightly different, like Assets:Accounts Receivable? That could
> explain the behavior.

This question is irrelevant.  He's telling the importer to create an
account Foo:Bar.  If Foo:Bar doesn't exist then it will be created
with the correct type (in this case, Income).  If Foo exists and is
a compatible type then it will just create Bar.  However if Foo exists
and is NOT compatible then it will create Foo2 of the correct type.

I'm not exactly sure why it creates Bar2 as well, but it does in this
latter case.

In HIS case he asked for Assets:<Something>...  Assets already exists
but is incompatible with Income, so it creates Assets2.

Note that compatibility is two-fold..  There is account-type compatibility
AND currency/commodity compatibility.  I believe that either case will
cause a new tree to get created.

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting Charles Day <[hidden email]>:
>
>  Well no one is telling the importer that it's an income account. It must
>> be
>> defaulting, and it shouldn't do that if Assets:A/R already exists. An
>> Asset
>> account type should be considered compatible.
>>

> The QIF is.   You should know that.  QIF Accounts are Asset/Liabilities.
> Everything else is Income/Expense.  So yes, there is a default account
> type based on the actual QIF transaction information.  Whether or not
> this is right or wrong I leave for another day, but the way the QIF
> importer is currently structured makes it very hard to just remove
> this....

I think the rules are looser than that for QIF payee/memo mappings, but
maybe his QIF doesn't provide an payee or memo so a category mapping is
getting used. It's true that if a category mapping is being used and a new
GnuCash account is being created (checkmark appears in the mapping page),
then the created account type will be Income or Expense. But regardless, if
the user specifies (via the GUI) an existing GnuCash account to use for a
category mapping, then in my opinion the importer ought to honor that choice
regardless of account type (the commodity still must match). If it's not
doing that, then that seems like a bug to me, or at least overrestrictive
babysitting. What's your opinion?

-Charles

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Charles Day <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Quoting Charles Day <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>  Well no one is telling the importer that it's an income account. It must
>>> be
>>> defaulting, and it shouldn't do that if Assets:A/R already exists. An
>>> Asset
>>> account type should be considered compatible.
>>>

>> The QIF is.   You should know that.  QIF Accounts are Asset/Liabilities.
>> Everything else is Income/Expense.  So yes, there is a default account
>> type based on the actual QIF transaction information.  Whether or not
>> this is right or wrong I leave for another day, but the way the QIF
>> importer is currently structured makes it very hard to just remove
>> this....
>>

> I think the rules are looser than that for QIF payee/memo mappings, but
> maybe his QIF doesn't provide an payee or memo so a category mapping is
> getting used. It's true that if a category mapping is being used and a new
> GnuCash account is being created (checkmark appears in the mapping page),
> then the created account type will be Income or Expense. But regardless, if
> the user specifies (via the GUI) an existing GnuCash account to use for a
> category mapping, then in my opinion the importer ought to honor that choice
> regardless of account type (the commodity still must match). If it's not
> doing that, then that seems like a bug to me, or at least overrestrictive
> babysitting. What's your opinion?

I just tried reproducing this, and in fact the QIF importer *does* allow a
category to be mapped to an existing GnuCash account with an Asset account
type. So that's not the problem.  -Charles