custom report documentation

Karl Anderson

Is there documentation on building custom reports?

The help says:

  The reporting interface is documented in the source code file
  src/report/report-system/doc/report-html.txt. The file
  src/scm/report/hello-world.scm in the GnuCash source
  distribution provides a good example of how reports are
  developed.

I don't have report-html.txt installed on my system, and I didn't find
anything at gnucash.org.

I am using the gnucash 2.0.1-2, gnucash-common 2.0.1-2, and
gnucash-docs 2.0.0-1 packages for debian stable.

--
Karl Anderson      [hidden email]      http://monkey.org/~kra/

Re: custom report documentation

Quoting Karl Anderson <[hidden email]>:

> Is there documentation on building custom reports?
>
> The help says:
>
>  The reporting interface is documented in the source code file
>  src/report/report-system/doc/report-html.txt. The file
>  src/scm/report/hello-world.scm in the GnuCash source
>  distribution provides a good example of how reports are
>  developed.

This file is in the SOURCE tree:

./src/report/report-system/doc/report-html.txt

> I don't have report-html.txt installed on my system, and I didn't find
> anything at gnucash.org.
>
> I am using the gnucash 2.0.1-2, gnucash-common 2.0.1-2, and
> gnucash-docs 2.0.0-1 packages for debian stable.

There's also some docs from the 1.6 docset about writing custom reports.

Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Quoting Karl Anderson <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Is there documentation on building custom reports?
>>
>> The help says:
>>
>>  The reporting interface is documented in the source code file
>>  src/report/report-system/doc/report-html.txt. The file
>>  src/scm/report/hello-world.scm in the GnuCash source
>>  distribution provides a good example of how reports are
>>  developed.
>
> This file is in the SOURCE tree:
>
> ./src/report/report-system/doc/report-html.txt

Thanks.  Wasn't in the gnucash-2.0.1 source distribution, but was able
to find in the trunk:

http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/browser/gnucash/trunk/src/report/report-system/doc/report-html.txt

http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.6/C/t6978.html

Karl Anderson <[hidden email]> writes:

> Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> This file is in the SOURCE tree:
>>
>> ./src/report/report-system/doc/report-html.txt
>
> http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/browser/gnucash/trunk/src/report/report-system/doc/report-html.txt
>
>> There's also some docs from the 1.6 docset about writing custom reports.
>
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.6/C/t6978.html

Where does one put a custom report source file to be able to view/test it?
I wasn't able to find this out in the above docs, or find a site-foo
directory in my installation.

--
Karl Anderson      [hidden email]      http://monkey.org/~kra/

Re: custom report documentation

Derek Atkins
Karl Anderson <[hidden email]> writes:

> Where does one put a custom report source file to be able to view/test it?
> I wasn't able to find this out in the above docs, or find a site-foo
> directory in my installation.

It's a two-step process...  You need to get the report loaded
at runtime.  The best way to do that is to modify standard-reports.scm
to load your new report.  Another option (that's not been tested
properly) -- you MIGHT be able to get the report loaded from
~/.gnucash/config.user -- but like I said that's not been tested.

> Karl Anderson      [hidden email]      http://monkey.org/~kra/

Re: custom report documentation

Karl Anderson
Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> writes:

> Karl Anderson <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Where does one put a custom report source file to be able to view/test it?
>> I wasn't able to find this out in the above docs, or find a site-foo
>> directory in my installation.
>
> It's a two-step process...  You need to get the report loaded
> at runtime.  The best way to do that is to modify standard-reports.scm
> to load your new report.

Editing the source is not user customization :)

>  Another option (that's not been tested
> properly) -- you MIGHT be able to get the report loaded from
> ~/.gnucash/config.user -- but like I said that's not been tested.

I was able to to at least add the toy report this way, thanks.  I
copied hello-world.scm to my .gnucash directory, edited some strings,
and commented out the define-module statement.

  (display "start loading config.user")
  (load "my-hello-world.scm")
  (display "end loading config.user")

--
Karl Anderson      [hidden email]      http://monkey.org/~kra/

Re: custom report documentation

Derek Atkins
Quoting Karl Anderson <[hidden email]>:

> Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Karl Anderson <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> Where does one put a custom report source file to be able to view/test it?
>>> I wasn't able to find this out in the above docs, or find a site-foo
>>> directory in my installation.
>>
>> It's a two-step process...  You need to get the report loaded
>> at runtime.  The best way to do that is to modify standard-reports.scm
>> to load your new report.
>
> Editing the source is not user customization :)

Who said anything about "user customization"?  The question was how
to load a new report...

>>  Another option (that's not been tested
>> properly) -- you MIGHT be able to get the report loaded from
>> ~/.gnucash/config.user -- but like I said that's not been tested.
>
> I was able to to at least add the toy report this way, thanks.  I
> copied hello-world.scm to my .gnucash directory, edited some strings,
> and commented out the define-module statement.
>
>  (display "start loading config.user")
>  (load "my-hello-world.scm")
>  (display "end loading config.user")

Glad to hear this actually works!

> Karl Anderson      [hidden email]      http://monkey.org/~kra/

Re: custom report documentation

Glenn English

Glenn English <[hidden email]> writes:

> Karl Anderson wrote:
>
>> Editing the source is not user customization :)
>
> You're new here, aren't you :-)

Haw haw!  No, I just wasn't able to figure out from the docs and list
archives if this was a task that a user could do in real life, and I'm
leaving clues for the next guy who's trying to find this out.

--
Karl Anderson      [hidden email]      http://monkey.org/~kra/