credit card qif import

Scott Bickford
When I do a credit card qif import, the only thing I get in my description
fields are "PURCHASE", instead of "OUTBACK #".

Here's an example from the qif:

!Type:Bank
D05/19/2008
T-42.15
C*
PPURCHASE
M05-16-08 OUTBACK #xyz mytown NJ auth# 123456
^

What might I be doing wrong?

Re: credit card qif import

Michael DeBusk-3
Scott Bickford wrote:

> What might I be doing wrong?

You're doing nothing wrong. The line starting with "P" gives you the
(P)ayee; "M" gives you a (M)emo.

You're going to have to do a lot of hand editing to make that QIF
usable. Can you get the data in a CSV instead?

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign     * against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org       * against proprietary attachments

Re: credit card qif import

Derek Atkins
Michael DeBusk <[hidden email]> writes:

> Scott Bickford wrote:
>
>> What might I be doing wrong?
>
> You're doing nothing wrong. The line starting with "P" gives you the
> (P)ayee; "M" gives you a (M)emo.
>
> You're going to have to do a lot of hand editing to make that QIF
> usable. Can you get the data in a CSV instead?

Define "usable"?

The QIF memo should go into either the GnuCash Notes or GnuCash
memo fields, at least with 2.2.5.  View -> Double Line Mode
and also expand the transaction.

Re: credit card qif import

Michael DeBusk-3
Derek Atkins wrote:

> Define "usable"?
>
> The QIF memo should go into either the GnuCash Notes or GnuCash
> memo fields, at least with 2.2.5.  View -> Double Line Mode
> and also expand the transaction.

It appears that, in the OP's qif file, the Payee and Memo fields are
reversed, as far as what he wants to appear in each. So it's formatted
correctly but he still can't use it for importing. To be useful to him,
he's going to have to edit it.

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign     * against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org       * against proprietary attachments
Home: http://nlphilia.com     * Blog: http://nlphilia.net
Registered Linux User #450983 * Ubuntu Counter Project #10548

Re: credit card qif import

Charles Day
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Michael DeBusk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > Define "usable"?
> >
> > The QIF memo should go into either the GnuCash Notes or GnuCash
> > memo fields, at least with 2.2.5.  View -> Double Line Mode
> > and also expand the transaction.
>
> It appears that, in the OP's qif file, the Payee and Memo fields are
> reversed, as far as what he wants to appear in each. So it's formatted
> correctly but he still can't use it for importing. To be useful to him,
> he's going to have to edit it.

One way to get "05-16-08 OUTBACK #xyz mytown NJ auth# 123456" into the
register's Description field is to simply delete the "PPURCHASE" line. It
doesn't seem like "PURCHASE" is a useful piece of information to bring into
GnuCash anyway.

Another option is to simply switch "P" and "M", giving you "P05-16-08
OUTBACK #xyz mytown NJ auth# 123456" and "MPURCHASE". This would put the
OUTBACK stuff in Description, and "PURCHASE" in Notes (which is viewable
only in double-line mode).

-Charles

Credit Card Account...

Davey B
Hi really enjoying GunuCash but trying to figure out this one...

Under Liabilities I have Credit Card so I've entered some purchases
under payments, say to the tune off £250 then transfered £250 from my
current account which is in Assets. Credit Card Account is showing -£10
when it should be in the black and purchases are also shown in black
despite being a charge on the card - Just a bit confused and probably
missing something very simple :)

Also, I'm trying to find a UK based bookkeeper or accountant that is
GnuCash friendly, so if anyone is one or knows of one then please let me
know.

Davey

Re: credit card qif import

Michael DeBusk-3
Quoting Charles Day <[hidden email]>:

> One way to get "05-16-08 OUTBACK #xyz mytown NJ auth# 123456" into the
> register's Description field is to simply delete the "PPURCHASE" line.

If I were in his shoes, that would be less than satisfactory. I'd have
to add each payee by hand in gnucash. If I'm going to do that much, I
may as well not import the qif in the first place.

> It doesn't seem like "PURCHASE" is a useful piece of information to
> bring into
> GnuCash anyway.

True. Makes me wonder what (or if) the credit card company is thinking.

> Another option is to simply switch "P" and "M", giving you "P05-16-08
> OUTBACK #xyz mytown NJ auth# 123456" and "MPURCHASE". This would
> put the OUTBACK stuff in Description, and "PURCHASE" in Notes (which is
> viewable only in double-line mode).

I'd combine your two suggestions: Delete the payee line and convert
the memo line to a payee line. A decent text editor should be able to
do that, as should sed if the OP has it available.

I download my Citibank info in qif format when I have a little
downtime at work and open it in a text editor. I like to convert
uppercase to mixed case for readability, add an "L" (category/class)
line to each transaction, and delete the memo line (which always says
"MStandard Purch"). One of these days I may automate the process with
a script.

Re: credit card qif import

Charles Day
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Michael DeBusk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting Charles Day <[hidden email]>:
>
> > One way to get "05-16-08 OUTBACK #xyz mytown NJ auth# 123456" into the
> > register's Description field is to simply delete the "PPURCHASE" line.
>
> If I were in his shoes, that would be less than satisfactory. I'd have
> to add each payee by hand in gnucash. If I'm going to do that much, I
> may as well not import the qif in the first place.

I probably should have explained, because this is not really advertised: If
there is no "P" line at all, then the QIF importer puts the "M" line content
into the "Description" field. The Notes will be empty. I assume that's what
he's aiming for.

> > It doesn't seem like "PURCHASE" is a useful piece of information to
> > bring into
> > GnuCash anyway.
>
> True. Makes me wonder what (or if) the credit card company is thinking.
>
> > Another option is to simply switch "P" and "M", giving you "P05-16-08
> > OUTBACK #xyz mytown NJ auth# 123456" and "MPURCHASE". This would
> > put the OUTBACK stuff in Description, and "PURCHASE" in Notes (which is
> > viewable only in double-line mode).
>
> I'd combine your two suggestions: Delete the payee line and convert
> the memo line to a payee line. A decent text editor should be able to
> do that, as should sed if the OP has it available.

Just deleting the "P" line alone should do the same thing (see above).

-Charles

> I download my Citibank info in qif format when I have a little
> downtime at work and open it in a text editor. I like to convert
> uppercase to mixed case for readability, add an "L" (category/class)
> line to each transaction, and delete the memo line (which always says
> "MStandard Purch"). One of these days I may automate the process with
> a script.

Re: credit card qif import

Michael DeBusk-3
On Wed, June 4, 2008 20:52, Charles Day wrote:

> I probably should have explained, because this is not really
> advertised: If there is no "P" line at all, then the QIF
> importer puts the "M" line content into the "Description"
> field. The Notes will be empty.

That's quite handy. I didn't know that. Thanks.

Re: Credit Card Account...

Davey Benson <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi really enjoying GunuCash but trying to figure out this one...
>
> Under Liabilities I have Credit Card so I've entered some purchases
> under payments, say to the tune off £250 then transfered £250 from my
> current account which is in Assets. Credit Card Account is showing -£10
> when it should be in the black and purchases are also shown in black
> despite being a charge on the card - Just a bit confused and probably
> missing something very simple :)

Yeah, you messed up.  Your purchases should appear as a CHARGE to
your credit card, because it's a credit to CC and debit to Expense.
You entered them backwards.

Re: Credit Card Account...

Doug Laidlaw
On Thursday 05 June 2008 11:20:34 pm Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Davey Benson <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Hi really enjoying GunuCash but trying to figure out this one...
> >
> > Under Liabilities I have Credit Card so I've entered some purchases
> > under payments, say to the tune off £250 then transfered £250 from my
> > current account which is in Assets. Credit Card Account is showing -£10
> > when it should be in the black and purchases are also shown in black
> > despite being a charge on the card - Just a bit confused and probably
> > missing something very simple :)
>
> Yeah, you messed up.  Your purchases should appear as a CHARGE to
> your credit card, because it's a credit to CC and debit to Expense.
> You entered them backwards.

I find it very difficult to come to terms with this.  For example, when my
bank account is in credit, that means that as far as the Bank is concerned I
am a creditor.  In my books, I have an Asset, therefore a debit.  If I said
to someone "I have a debit in my Bank Account" they would start to worry.

Credit cards are simply the reverse of that.  The bank is your creditor.

HTH,

Doug.

Re: Credit Card Account...

Derek Atkins
Doug Laidlaw <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thursday 05 June 2008 11:20:34 pm Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Davey Benson <[hidden email]> writes:
>> > Hi really enjoying GunuCash but trying to figure out this one...
>> >
>> > Under Liabilities I have Credit Card so I've entered some purchases
>> > under payments, say to the tune off £250 then transfered £250 from my
>> > current account which is in Assets. Credit Card Account is showing -£10
>> > when it should be in the black and purchases are also shown in black
>> > despite being a charge on the card - Just a bit confused and probably
>> > missing something very simple :)
>>
>> Yeah, you messed up.  Your purchases should appear as a CHARGE to
>> your credit card, because it's a credit to CC and debit to Expense.
>> You entered them backwards.

>> -derek
>
> I find it very difficult to come to terms with this.  For example, when my
> bank account is in credit, that means that as far as the Bank is concerned I
> am a creditor.  In my books, I have an Asset, therefore a debit.  If I said
> to someone "I have a debit in my Bank Account" they would start to worry.
>
> Credit cards are simply the reverse of that.  The bank is your creditor.

Correct!   Your bank statements give you the information from THEIR
perspective.  Remember, to the Bank, YOU are a LIABILITY!  So when
they credit your account (from their view) it's a debit from YOUR view.

Credit cards are the reverse in some ways but not in others.

When you buy something, you ALWAYS debit the expense account and
credit the account where the money came from to pay for the expense.
It doesn't matter whether the money is coming from an asset or a
liability, in either case you're crediting it.

The difference is that in the standard view, a credit will "reduce"
an asset and "increase" a liability.

It's taken me nearly a decade to completely wrap my head about
debits and credits.  It's VERY confusing to non-accountants.