copying splits from a transaction

Alex-277
Hello,

I import my bank's transactions via ofx files from my bank.  Part of
those transactions include my regular payroll deposits.  I normally go
in and split payroll deposits to track deductions (i.e. 401k deductions,
taxes, etc).  This can be a little tedious since each paycheck may have
half a dozen transactions.  Is it possible to copy the split lines from
a transaction into another?  I realize there is a "Copy Transaction"
option from the "Transaction" menu, but I believe pasting that would
create a new transaction altogether.  If I instead pasted and overwrote
one of the existing transactions, would I lose some kind of underlying
ofx data?

Hopes this makes sense.

Thanks!

Alex Porras

Re: copying splits from a transaction

Alex-277
Alex wrote:

> This can be a little tedious since each paycheck may have
> half a dozen transactions.

Whoops.  The above should read:

This can be a little tedious since each paycheck may have
half a dozen *deductions*.

--Alex

Re: copying splits from a transaction

Derek Atkins
Quoting Alex <[hidden email]>:

> Alex wrote:
>
>> This can be a little tedious since each paycheck may have
>> half a dozen transactions.
>
> Whoops.  The above should read:
>
> This can be a little tedious since each paycheck may have
> half a dozen *deductions*.

I recommend you just use the register to auto-complete the transaction
and then just use OFX to mark it as cleared.

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Alex <[hidden email]>:
>
>> This can be a little tedious since each paycheck may have
>> half a dozen *deductions*.
>
> I recommend you just use the register to auto-complete the transaction
> and then just use OFX to mark it as cleared.

Hi Derek,

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding you.  Are you suggesting that I enter
the deposit transaction and deductions by hand and let the register auto
complete the account it goes into?

--Alex

Quoting Alex <[hidden email]>:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Quoting Alex <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> This can be a little tedious since each paycheck may have
>>> half a dozen *deductions*.
>>
>> I recommend you just use the register to auto-complete the transaction
>> and then just use OFX to mark it as cleared.
>
> Hi Derek,
>
> Apologies if I'm misunderstanding you.  Are you suggesting that I
> enter the deposit transaction and deductions by hand and let the
> register auto complete the account it goes into?

No, I'm suggesting you enter the TRANSACTION into the register,
and let the register autocomplete the WHOLE TRANSACTION.  In other
words, don't import and then modify..   Create the transaction in
the register and THEN import to "clear".

> --Alex

Re: copying splits from a transaction

Tim Wunder (Lists)
On Wednesday 13 February 2008 03:45:15 pm Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting Alex <[hidden email]>:
> > Derek Atkins wrote:
> >>
> >> I recommend you just use the register to auto-complete the transaction
> >> and then just use OFX to mark it as cleared.
> >
> > Hi Derek,
> >
> > Apologies if I'm misunderstanding you.  Are you suggesting that I
> > enter the deposit transaction and deductions by hand and let the
> > register auto complete the account it goes into?
>
> No, I'm suggesting you enter the TRANSACTION into the register,
> and let the register autocomplete the WHOLE TRANSACTION.  In other
> words, don't import and then modify..   Create the transaction in
> the register and THEN import to "clear".

Alternatively, use scheduled transactions to essentially accomplish the same
thing. The difference would be that you can modify the SX to control the
split better (IMO).

Tim

--
Fedora Core release 6 (Zod), Linux 2.6.22.14-72.fc6
KDE: 3.5.8-1 Fedora

Re: copying splits from a transaction

sunfish62
I keep track of the many lines of deductions on my and my wife's paychecks, and
the way I do it is to duplicate an earlier (completed) transaction for the new
date in question. It has been my experience that most of the lines on each
paycheck are predominantly the same, so I just need to verify them and only
adjust one or two lines. I do this before importing (as Derek suggests), and it
is very quick to manage.

David