cannot use tutorials

oldgeek
Hi

I am running Ubuntu 10.04.  I installed Gnucash using the software center.  I tried using the tutorial as suggested in the manual, but when I do I get the following message:

GnuCash could not find the files for the help documentation.  This is likely because the 'gnucash-docs' package is not installed.

I have checked Synaptic Package Manager and it says that gnucash-docs are installed.  I tried downloading gnucash-docs and ran ./compile.  It did it's thing and I still get the above message.  What am I not doing?

Thanks
Greg

Re: cannot use tutorials

Garey Beck
Same problem on my laptop running Ubuntu 10.04
           Garey

oldgeek <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I am running Ubuntu 10.04.  I installed Gnucash using the software center.
>I tried using the tutorial as suggested in the manual, but when I do I get
>the following message:
>
>GnuCash could not find the files for the help documentation.  This is likely
>because the 'gnucash-docs' package is not installed.
>
>I have checked Synaptic Package Manager and it says that gnucash-docs are
>installed.  I tried downloading gnucash-docs and ran ./compile.  It did it's
>thing and I still get the above message.  What am I not doing?
>
>Thanks
>Greg

Re: cannot use tutorials

Garey Beck <[hidden email]> writes:

> Same problem on my laptop running Ubuntu 10.04
>            Garey
>
> oldgeek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I am running Ubuntu 10.04.  I installed Gnucash using the software center.
>>I tried using the tutorial as suggested in the manual, but when I do I get
>>the following message:
>>
>>GnuCash could not find the files for the help documentation.  This is likely
>>because the 'gnucash-docs' package is not installed.
>>
>>I have checked Synaptic Package Manager and it says that gnucash-docs are
>>installed.  I tried downloading gnucash-docs and ran ./compile.  It did it's
>>thing and I still get the above message.  What am I not doing?

Generally this means that the Gnome Help Viewer cannot find the
documentation package.  This is the first I've heard of a problem on
Ubuntu; historically SuSE has had a problem that was fixed by adding a
symlink.  (I don't know offhand what needed to be linked).

I suspect UB might be falling into the same hole now.

>>Thanks
>>Greg

Re: cannot use tutorials

Robert Smits
On December 12, 2011 11:26:57 am Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Garey Beck <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Same problem on my laptop running Ubuntu 10.04
> >            Garey
> >
> > oldgeek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>Hi
> >>
> >>I am running Ubuntu 10.04.  I installed Gnucash using the software
> >> center. I tried using the tutorial as suggested in the manual, but when
> >> I do I get the following message:
> >>
> >>GnuCash could not find the files for the help documentation.  This is
> >> likely because the 'gnucash-docs' package is not installed.
> >>
> >>I have checked Synaptic Package Manager and it says that gnucash-docs are
> >>installed.  I tried downloading gnucash-docs and ran ./compile.  It did
> >> it's thing and I still get the above message.  What am I not doing?
>
> Generally this means that the Gnome Help Viewer cannot find the
> documentation package.  This is the first I've heard of a problem on
> Ubuntu; historically SuSE has had a problem that was fixed by adding a
> symlink.  (I don't know offhand what needed to be linked).
>
> I suspect UB might be falling into the same hole now.

In Opensuse  from about version 10.3 to at least 11.4 you have to add yelp,
the Gnome help package before documentation works. I Don't know about 12.1.

Bob.

--
Robert Smits [hidden email]

I admire him, I frankly confess it; and when his time comes I shall
buy a piece of the rope for a keepsake. Mark Twain