bulk operations?

Eric Theise
For lack of a better name.

Suppose I'm in the "Search Results" window resulting from an "Edit >
Find..." operation. Is there any way to apply a change to every transaction
that appears?

Say that, due to history and multiple credit card accounts, a grocer's
Description appears as "HI HO", "hi ho grocery", "hi-ho market", and
permutations thereof. Is there any way to standardize the name for
everything in the result set besides manually changing each line?

I'd also like to be able to perform bulk operations against "Imbalance-USD"
transactions.

If it's not possible through the GUI, how about via issuing SQL statements
to a database backend?

Thanks for your patience with these newbie questions.

Eric

Re: bulk operations?

GnuCash - User mailing list

Eric,
This issue comes up regularly with new users. The short answer to your question is,  "no, there is not a bulk edit." For more detail on suggestions, try googling "gnucash bulk change", and read some of the threads from the past.
David

  On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 8:07, Eric Theise<[hidden email]> wrote:   For lack of a better name.

Suppose I'm in the "Search Results" window resulting from an "Edit >
Find..." operation. Is there any way to apply a change to every transaction
that appears?

Say that, due to history and multiple credit card accounts, a grocer's
Description appears as "HI HO", "hi ho grocery", "hi-ho market", and
permutations thereof. Is there any way to standardize the name for
everything in the result set besides manually changing each line?

I'd also like to be able to perform bulk operations against "Imbalance-USD"
transactions.

If it's not possible through the GUI, how about via issuing SQL statements
to a database backend?

Thanks for your patience with these newbie questions.

Eric

Re: bulk operations?

Mike or Penny Novack-3
On 5/6/2017 11:07 PM, Eric Theise wrote:

> For lack of a better name.
>
> Suppose I'm in the "Search Results" window resulting from an "Edit >
> Find..." operation. Is there any way to apply a change to every transaction
> that appears?
>
> Say that, due to history and multiple credit card accounts, a grocer's
> Description appears as "HI HO", "hi ho grocery", "hi-ho market", and
> permutations thereof. Is there any way to standardize the name for
> everything in the result set besides manually changing each line?
leave the next aside for the moment
> I'd also like to be able to perform bulk operations against "Imbalance-USD"
> transactions.

> If it's not possible through the GUI, how about via issuing SQL statements
> to a database backend?

Possible, yes, practical, no. Look, in the shop where I used to work,
hundreds of programmers (one of the world's largest "financials") I
would estimate that less than 10% of us competent to take on such a
task. By which I don't mean just writing the program but correctly
devising the commands that program would use << and THIS part of it
would devolve on the "users" >> Even rarer in the shop those of us who
could take on the really tricky stuff, perhaps could count those on the
fingers of one hand.

Thus because I have done things like populating an SQL database (even
adding tables to it that didn't exist before) and doing that OUTSIDE of
SQL << by changing the flat backup file and reloading from backup >> I
have to say POSSIBLE. But that"possible" means for a very experienced
and tricky senior analyst, not a user. What you are asking for is along
the lines of an advanced "alpha index" program << a program that can
look at names entered free form and decide "that's the same person, make
the name match a common format". Very few of us in the shop were
competent to work on the "alpha index" programs < or to debug them when
they were screwing up with some names >

Michael D Novack

PS: Now back to your questions about "Imbalance". There is no general
way to determine exactly what was wrong with the transaction as entered
that resulted in an entry in Imbalance or how to correct that. For
example, if I see an entry there, the other side of the transaction
being a credit to the checking account, there is no way to know WHAT
that check was for. You have to look at other documentation (perhaps the
memo line on the check, a description in your check book, etc.) to know
how to correct that transaction. Can't automate that.

Re: bulk operations?

DaveC49
Hi Eric,

While the bulk operations are not available, by using the cutomer and vendor features in the business options your regular customers and vendors can be selected from lists of customers/vendors. This will create some uniformity for transactions created using invoices however the customer/vendor information is still not a part of the transaction and doesn't appear in the description field of the transaction (unless you copy it in while creating the invoice/bill).

Invoices and bills are a separate class from the transactions to the accounts they reference inside Gnucash and the customer/vendor information is stored with the invoice/bill information and not with the transactions they create so it is not possible to easily extend this outside the business features. The reason  is that the transaction class has no customer/vendor field as such, only a description field which although it usually does contain text which contains the customer or vendor it may also contain any other information the user desires to add about the transaction. The transaction also has a link to the associated invoice where the customer/vendor is stored.

In priciple it would be possible to implement a Find/Replace mode in the  Edit/Find feature but this does not exist at present. If this is critical to you, you could create a bug request asking for it as a feature for the longer term which will at least raise it with the developers.

Re: bulk operations?

Eric Theise
Thanks to everyone who's responded to my initial question.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm a Quicken refugee. Tonight, after
importing transactions from a newish credit card account and starting to
assign "Unspecified" transactions I find that Quicken had imported these
transactions and – through their maddening Temp_ account mechanisms? –
assigned them to a savings account that was closed towards the end of 2007.
So while I would like to do a "Find..." on transactions in that account
after 12/2007, then delete them all, it appears that I am going to have to
delete them one by one.

A use case.

Eric

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Eric Theise <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For lack of a better name.
>
> Suppose I'm in the "Search Results" window resulting from an "Edit >
> Find..." operation. Is there any way to apply a change to every transaction
> that appears?
>
> Say that, due to history and multiple credit card accounts, a grocer's
> Description appears as "HI HO", "hi ho grocery", "hi-ho market", and
> permutations thereof. Is there any way to standardize the name for
> everything in the result set besides manually changing each line?
>
> I'd also like to be able to perform bulk operations against
> "Imbalance-USD" transactions.
>
> If it's not possible through the GUI, how about via issuing SQL statements
> to a database backend?
>
> Thanks for your patience with these newbie questions.
>
> Eric

Re: bulk operations?

Adrien Monteleone
Eric,

Do all of these transactions happen to reside in the same account? Let’s say, all of them are in “Some Account" you want to delete and you want to put them all somewhere else, possibly, “Checking.”

You can accomplish this by deleting the “Some Account” and GnuCash will ask you where you want to move all of its transactions to. (be sure not to refuse to move them or else the transactions will get deleted with the account)

Of course if you don’t want them all going to the same place, there is no other method than one-by-one that I can think of.

The new Transaction Report in this mailing list can certainly help you find them all if they are scattered somehow.

-Adrien