building master

Alex Aycinena-2
Hi,

I have been unable to spend any time on gnucash for several weeks but am
about to get started again. I checked out master anew but when I tried to
build it, I get:

/usr/bin/ld:
../../../src/engine/test-core/.libs/libgncmod-test-engine.a(test-engine-stuff.o):
undefined reference to symbol '__gxx_personality_v0@@CXXABI_1.3'
/usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command
line
Makefile:839: recipe for target 'test-import-pending-matches' failed
make[4]: *** [test-import-pending-matches] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory
'/home/gnucash-dev/gitcheckouts/gnucash-clean-new-build/src/import-export/test'

This is on Fedora 25 and I know Geert does his development on Fedora. Is
anybody else seeing this? Is there a new dependency that has been added
that I missed?

Thanks for any feedback.

Alex

Re: building master

John Ralls-2

> On Apr 21, 2017, at 10:00 AM, Alex Aycinena <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have been unable to spend any time on gnucash for several weeks but am
> about to get started again. I checked out master anew but when I tried to
> build it, I get:
>
> /usr/bin/ld:
> ../../../src/engine/test-core/.libs/libgncmod-test-engine.a(test-engine-stuff.o):
> undefined reference to symbol '__gxx_personality_v0@@CXXABI_1.3'
> /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command
> line
> Makefile:839: recipe for target 'test-import-pending-matches' failed
> make[4]: *** [test-import-pending-matches] Error 1
> make[4]: Leaving directory
> '/home/gnucash-dev/gitcheckouts/gnucash-clean-new-build/src/import-export/test'
>
> This is on Fedora 25 and I know Geert does his development on Fedora. Is
> anybody else seeing this? Is there a new dependency that has been added
> that I missed?

Alex,

Looks like autotools picked the wrong compiler for a C++ object. See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6045809/link-error-undefined-reference-to-gxx-personality-v0-and-g. Geert and I have both switched to cmake & ninja-build; there's no issue there so it might be a typo in that directory's Makefile.am.

On the other hand Geert just merged his C++ rewrite of src/import-export/imp-csv, so if you have installed libs that are getting linked in that could cause the error too.

Re: building master

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
On 21/04/2017 19:21, John Ralls wrote:
> Alex,
>

> Looks like autotools picked the wrong compiler for a C++ object. See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6045809/link-error-undefined-reference-to-gxx-personality-v0-and-g. Geert and I have both switched to cmake & ninja-build; there's no issue there so it might be a typo in that directory's Makefile.am.
>
> On the other hand Geert just merged his C++ rewrite of src/import-export/imp-csv, so if you have installed libs that are getting linked in that could cause the error too.

I've had intermittent difficulty with builds too recently but haven't
said anything because I'm not building gnc for any particular purpose.

I have noticed the cmake / ninja combo has been mentioned more than one
recently here.

Should others that build-because-we-do-it-anyway be switching and is
there a suggested "start reading here" ref you could suggest?

I'm building on Ubuntu LTS if it matters ... and it shouldn't really
matter as I'm just building to keep in touch.

--
Wm

Re: building master

On vrijdag 21 april 2017 20:21:39 CEST John Ralls wrote:

> > On Apr 21, 2017, at 10:00 AM, Alex Aycinena <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been unable to spend any time on gnucash for several weeks but am
> > about to get started again. I checked out master anew but when I tried to
> > build it, I get:
> >
> > /usr/bin/ld:
> > ../../../src/engine/test-core/.libs/libgncmod-test-engine.a(test-engine-st
> > uff.o): undefined reference to symbol '__gxx_personality_v0@@CXXABI_1.3'
> > /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command
> > line
> > collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> > Makefile:839: recipe for target 'test-import-pending-matches' failed
> > make[4]: *** [test-import-pending-matches] Error 1
> > make[4]: Leaving directory
> > '/home/gnucash-dev/gitcheckouts/gnucash-clean-new-build/src/import-export/
> > test'
> >
> > This is on Fedora 25 and I know Geert does his development on Fedora. Is
> > anybody else seeing this? Is there a new dependency that has been added
> > that I missed?
>
> Alex,
>

> Looks like autotools picked the wrong compiler for a C++ object. See
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6045809/link-error-undefined-reference-t
> o-gxx-personality-v0-and-g. Geert and I have both switched to cmake &
> ninja-build; there's no issue there so it might be a typo in that
> directory's Makefile.am.

It doesn't look like a cmake vs autotools issue. I have rebuilt a clean
checkout with autotools this morning and didn't run into the above. I had to
set an environment variable TZ to "America/Los_Angeles" to get test-gnc-
datetime to pass, but with current master I have to do this as well with
cmake/ninja.

> On the other hand Geert just merged his C++ rewrite of
> src/import-export/imp-csv, so if you have installed libs that are getting
> linked in that could cause the error too.

I didn't test this. I have no system install of gnucash right now.

Re: building master

On vrijdag 21 april 2017 23:17:31 CEST Wm via gnucash-devel wrote:

> On 21/04/2017 19:21, John Ralls wrote:
> > Alex,
> >

> > Looks like autotools picked the wrong compiler for a C++ object. See
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6045809/link-error-undefined-reference
> > -to-gxx-personality-v0-and-g. Geert and I have both switched to cmake &
> > ninja-build; there's no issue there so it might be a typo in that
> > directory's Makefile.am.
> >
> > On the other hand Geert just merged his C++ rewrite of
> > src/import-export/imp-csv, so if you have installed libs that are getting
> > linked in that could cause the error too.
> I've had intermittent difficulty with builds too recently but haven't
> said anything because I'm not building gnc for any particular purpose.

What errors do you see Wm ?

> I have noticed the cmake / ninja combo has been mentioned more than one
> recently here.
>
> Should others that build-because-we-do-it-anyway be switching and is
> there a suggested "start reading here" ref you could suggest?

We have a wiki page on CMake [1]. It's been written quite some time ago, but it still looks like a
good starting point. At that time ninja wasn't written yet so that information is currently missing.

In short cmake replaces automake/autoconf and the configuration script that's generated by
those. It will produce build recipes for different build systems. The wiki page explains how to
make these recipes for the gnu-make build system (which is the only build system supported by
automake/autoconf by the way). So using cmake like this will generate Makefile files which can
be used just like before by running make, make install, make check,...

Ninja on the other hand is an alternative for gnu-make with a strong focus on parallellizing the
build as much as possible, and as such utilizing your typical multi-core cpu much more
efficiently. The commands to use it are similar to gnu-make:
make -> ninja (or ninja-build)
make install -> ninja (or ninja-build) install
make check -> ninja (or ninja-build) check

I'm writing "ninja (or ninja-build)" because the name of the command depends on your OS. On
Windows it's "ninja", on Fedora it's "ninja-build". Oh, well...

To instruct cmake to set up for ninja instead of gnu-make, you invoke cmake with "-G Ninja"
added to the options. As an example my current cmake command looks like this:
cmake -D WITH_PYTHON=ON \
 -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<install-dir> \
 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DWITH_AQBANKING=ON -G Ninja \
 <path-to-source-directory>

After that short intro, a few words on where to go next: because of the better performance and
greater flexibility in build system support (even Ms Visual Studio is supported by cmake), we are
seriously considering to switch to cmake in favor of autotools at some point.

We won't do so for the stable 2.6 series (although even that builds fine with cmake/ninja
already; the combo is in active use for our Windows nightly builds). For the upcoming 2.8
though it's very likely we will formally switch to cmake. There are a few release related details
which still need to be ported to cmake before that switch can be complete though.

So for now we're formally supporting autotools/gnu-make and informally cmake/<whatever> in
which John and I currently prefer <whatever> to be ninja for its performance.

> I'm building on Ubuntu LTS if it matters ... and it shouldn't really
> matter as I'm just building to keep in touch.

You didn't mention which LTS edition. However on my 14.04LTS ninja is already available, so I
expect it to be in 16.04 as well.

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/CMake

Re: building master

Alex Aycinena-2

> [...]
> point.
>
> We won't do so for the stable 2.6 series (although even that builds fine
> with cmake/ninja
> already; the combo is in active use for our Windows nightly builds). For
> the upcoming 2.8
> though it's very likely we will formally switch to cmake. There are a few
> release related details
> which still need to be ported to cmake before that switch can be complete
> though.
>
> So for now we're formally supporting autotools/gnu-make and informally
> cmake/<whatever> in
> which John and I currently prefer <whatever> to be ninja for its
> performance.
>
> > I'm building on Ubuntu LTS if it matters ... and it shouldn't really
> > matter as I'm just building to keep in touch.
>
> You didn't mention which LTS edition. However on my 14.04LTS ninja is

So to switch to using cmake with ninja, I installed cmake (which installed
cmake-data and jsoncpp, as well) and ninja-build (on Fedora). But from your
note, it was still unclear to me how to use them. Up to now, I have had two
parallel directories, for example, gnucash-clean, where the source is
checked out to, and gnucash-clean-build, where I build. Then I would:

$ cd /home/gnucash-dev/gitcheckouts/gnucash-clean
$ git pull
$ ./autogen.sh
$ cd /home/gnucash-dev/gitcheckouts/gnucash-clean-build
$ rm -rf *
$ ../gnucash-clean/configure
--srcdir=/home/gnucash-dev/gitcheckouts/gnucash-clean
--prefix=/opt/gnucash-git/gnucash-clean --enable-debug --enable-doxygen
--enable-error-on-warning --enable-compile-warnings=yes
--with-dbi-dbd-dir=/usr/lib64/dbd --enable-ofx --enable-aqbanking
--enable-locale-specific-tax --enable-python
$ make
$ make check

Then after switching to root:

$ cd /home/gnucash-dev/gitcheckouts/gnucash-clean-build
$ make install

So now I tried instead:

$ cd /home/gnucash-dev/gitcheckouts/gnucash-clean
$ git pull
$ ./autogen.sh   <-- still needed I assumed?
$ cd /home/gnucash-dev/gitcheckouts/gnucash-clean-build
$ rm -rf *
cmake -D WITH_PYTHON=ON \
 -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/gnucash-git/gnucash-clean \
 -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug \
 -D WITH_AQBANKING=ON -G Ninja \
  /home/gnucash-dev/gitcheckouts/gnucash-clean
$ ninja-build

It was working away until it stopped with:

[166/962] cd
/home/gnucash-dev/gitchec...ean/src/doc/design/gnucash-design.texi
FAILED: src/doc/design/CMakeFiles/gnucash-design.texi
cd /home/gnucash-dev/gitcheckouts/gnucash-clean-build/src/doc/design &&
makeinfo -I
/home/gnucash-dev/gitcheckouts/gnucash-clean-build/src/doc/design
/home/gnucash-dev/gitcheckouts/gnucash-clean/src/doc/design/gnucash-design.texi
/bin/sh: makeinfo: command not found
[168/962] Building CXX object
src/libq...Files/gnc-qof.dir/qof/qofsession.cpp.o

Feedback would be welcome.

I assume once I get a clean build, then I would:

$ ninja-build check

Then after switching to root:

$ cd /home/gnucash-dev/gitcheckouts/gnucash-clean-build
$ ninja-build install

Also, what happens to these other configure options I would previously set:

 --enable-doxygen
 --enable-error-on-warning
 --enable-compile-warnings=yes
 --with-dbi-dbd-dir=/usr/lib64/dbd
 --enable-ofx (I see in CMakeCache.txt that WITH_OFX:BOOL=ON even though I
didn't specify it)
 --enable-locale-specific-tax

Or are they no longer necessary?

Re: building master

John Ralls-2

> On Apr 22, 2017, at 3:47 PM, Alex Aycinena <[hidden email]> wrote:

Alex,

See https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/cmake/README_CMAKE.txt.

You don't need or want to autogen. That's autotools and CMake doesn't use any of that stuff.
Pretty much everything is on by default so generally no build options need to be set.

The failure suggests that you might not have texinfo installed. We should probably just turn off building the obsolete texi files anyway and think about removing them.

Re: building master

Geert Janssens-4
On zondag 23 april 2017 01:48:05 CEST John Ralls wrote:
> See https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/cmake/README_CMAKE.txt.

Ah, that was the link I should have passed to Wm as well... Thanks for
referring to it.

Re: building master

Alex Aycinena-2
> [...]

> any of that stuff.
> Pretty much everything is on by default so generally no build options need
> to be set.
>
> The failure suggests that you might not have texinfo installed. We should
> probably just turn off building the obsolete texi files anyway and think
> about removing them.

> From: Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc: John Ralls <[hidden email]>, Alex Aycinena <
> [hidden email]>
> Bcc:
> Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 12:25:56 +0200
> Subject: Re: building master
> On zondag 23 april 2017 01:48:05 CEST John Ralls wrote:
> > See https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/cmake/
> README_CMAKE.txt.
> >

> Ah, that was the link I should have passed to Wm as well... Thanks for

John and Geert,

Thanks for the help. I installed texinfo and followed your other
suggestions and got a clean build and check with cmake and ninja so now I'm
back in business.

Alex