budget with ytd difference option and ?improved? readability

budget with ytd difference option and ?improved? readability

azalea4va
There were two things in the existing budget report facility that I found lacking: its readability and the fact that the difference column showed the difference for the time period and not the difference YTD.  So I made some modifications to the standard budget.scm to create budget-plus.scm with a budget stylesheet. There is an option to have the Diff field display YTD difference instead of period difference.  The budget stylesheet has modifications that allow for a different background color in cells identified as being "Totals" cells.  I tag each alternate time period column as a total column so I can improve readability with alternating background colors.  (I first implemented by defing a new style tag, but that broke using budget-plus with any of the pre-defined stylesheets.  So I kludged using the "totals" tag.)

I would like to also have an option for displaying budget values rounded to the nearest whole amount (no decimals) and to eliminate the currency symbol, making the info provided more concise.   But figuring out how to do that was proving to be beyond my knowledge of scm and the code base.

The two scm files can be include in the .gnucash directory and loaded by including the following two lines in config.user
(load (gnc-build-dotgnucash-path "budget-plus.scm"))
(load (gnc-build-dotgnucash-path "stylesheet-budget-plus.scm"))

I also include a screenshot showing a sample budget using the ?improved? budget tool and what a report would look like without decimal places and currency symbol if that got implemented.
budget-plus.scm
stylesheet-budget-plus.scm
Screenshot_from_2017-07-19_22-27-07.png

Re: budget with ytd difference option and ?improved? readability

gbguy
This post was updated on .
SUCCESS - This was solved by azalea4va. Read my Oct 2 and 3 posts for details

azalea4va, Your report addresses many of the issues I've had as a new user of the gnucash budget reports. However, I have not been able to successfully install your report. I'm assuming that it will show up under Reports -> Budget as "Budget+ Report", but I cannot see it there or anywhere else under Reports.

I'm running Windows 10 (64-bit), GnuCash 2.6.18, and followed the instructions under Custom Reports <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Custom_Reports> . I tried two ways to install your report:
1) creating a config.user file in my .gnucash directory (C:\Documents and Settings\/MyName/\.gnucash) that contained your two "load" directives. Within the same .gnucash directory I put the two .scm files. I started GnuCash and could not see your report.

2) putting the two .scm files into C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\share\gnucash\scm\gnucash\report\standard-reports. I started GnuCash and could not see your report.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA -- Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html _______________________________________________ gnucash-user mailing list gnucash-user@gnucash.org https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user ----- Please remember to CC this list on all your replies. You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: budget with ytd difference option and ?improved? readability

gbguy
Well, idiot here figured out the primary problem. I had File Explorer's View
option inadvertently set to hide file extensions. The two files I downloaded
actually had .txt extensions (e.g., budget-plus.scm.txt). Yet another reason
to dislike Windows :-)

I renamed the files and successfully ran a Budget+ report. However, I have
an issue. (I'm providing details in case anyone has questions on how to run
this report).

I created a budget, which had a Budget Period beginning on 01/01/2017 and 12
Periods, via Actions -> Budget -> New Budget. I then opened (Action ->
Budget -> Open Budget) the newly created budget .

I then did Reports -> Budget -> Budget+ Report while the budget was open and
chose these report options:
General: Yearly Budget option. Display: Show Budget, Show Actual, Show
Difference, YTD Difference, Show Column with Totals.

Things look good at a cursory glance. /However, there aren't any cell colors
or borders/.

Re: budget with ytd difference option and ?improved? readability

lejohnston

HI,
I am new too and don't have gnucash on my tablet. I was able to create a new style with borders that makes it easier to read the tables in the report. I can't tell you how for a day or two due to being quite tied up but if you look up styles you may be able to figure it out.
Larry

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab® S

Re: budget with ytd difference option and ?improved? readability

gbguy
Larry,
I'd greatly appreciate any assistance.  I looked to see if the stylesheet
was misnamed or if the "load" directive had a syntax error, but could see
nothing wrong.

I also looked at the stylesheet .scm file but I don't know what to look for.
I will say the author very clearly identified the changes that he made to
the stylesheet.

I've just sent him an email to see if he has an idea of what is happening.

Re: budget with ytd difference option and ?improved? readability

gbguy
SUCCESS!!

The author provided the key missing piece of information.

When running the Budget+ report you have to specify in its "General" report
option which "Stylesheet" to use.  Specify the "Budget" stylesheet and
everything is golden.

Once I was told what to do it made perfect sense :-)

Re: budget with ytd difference option and ?improved? readability

randix
Color me clueless, well, almost...

Using Windows 10, latest release of GnuCash.

So the two scm files, I installed them in the standard-reports sub-directory
as indicated in the above posts. I got them there, by opening up each one,
copying the contents, then pasting the contents to a new file I created with
Notepad, and saving it with the original name with the scm extension, eg

budget-plus.scm
stylesheet-budget-plus.scm

In the .gnucash directory, I created a config.user file using Notepad, then
copied the 2 lines calling the scm files into that file.

But then when I try and start up GnuCash, it won't start, eg program won't
run.  When I remove the above files from the referenced directories, it runs
fine.  So obviously I'm doing something wrong (not the first time).

Hints... ? Be gentle... :)

Re: budget with ytd difference option and ?improved? readability

Fred Bone
On 3 October 2017 at 19:16, Steve said:

> Color me clueless, well, almost...
>
> Using Windows 10, latest release of GnuCash.
>
> So the two scm files, I installed them in the standard-reports
> sub-directory as indicated in the above posts. I got them there, by
> opening up each one, copying the contents, then pasting the contents to a
> new file I created with Notepad, and saving it with the original name with
> the scm extension, eg
>
> budget-plus.scm
> stylesheet-budget-plus.scm
>
> In the .gnucash directory, I created a config.user file using Notepad,
> then copied the 2 lines calling the scm files into that file.
>
> But then when I try and start up GnuCash, it won't start, eg program won't
> run.  When I remove the above files from the referenced directories, it
> runs fine.  So obviously I'm doing something wrong (not the first time).
>
> Hints... ? Be gentle... :)

Perhaps it's objecting to the MS-DOS-style line endings, that Notepad
will have helpfully put there for you?

If you put a file there with one line containing just a semicolon and it
still won't run, then that's the problem.

Re: budget with ytd difference option and ?improved? readability

randix
Fred Bone wrote
> Perhaps it's objecting to the MS-DOS-style line endings, that Notepad
> will have helpfully put there for you?
>
> If you put a file there with one line containing just a semicolon and it
> still won't run, then that's the problem.

Thanks, Fred. The file that's causing the problem is the
"stylesheet-budget-plus.scm" file. When it's in the target directory,
GnuCash will not run; when I remove it, it will. I've played with removing
the ";;" lines in that file, with no success. Have tried re-creating the
file a couple of times, to make sure I didn't make an error in the copy,
etc. But appreciate the help.

On 7 October 2017 at 9:28, Steve said:

> Fred Bone wrote
> > Perhaps it's objecting to the MS-DOS-style line endings, that Notepad
> > will have helpfully put there for you?
> >
> > If you put a file there with one line containing just a semicolon and it
> > still won't run, then that's the problem.
>
> Thanks, Fred. The file that's causing the problem is the
> "stylesheet-budget-plus.scm" file. When it's in the target directory,
> GnuCash will not run; when I remove it, it will. I've played with removing
> the ";;" lines in that file, with no success. Have tried re-creating the
> file a couple of times, to make sure I didn't make an error in the copy,
> etc. But appreciate the help.

Try creating it with a more suitable editor, one that doesn't force MSDOS
line endings. They are what causes the problem.