auto fill: summary

Terry Therneau
 This is a summary of replies that I recieved on my auto-fill question.  Thanks
for the input.

  I had asked about turning off auto-fill.  When a new check matches an
old institution, but the transaction is totally different, the gnucash
feature of filling in the account, amount, etc is not a plus as it takes more
time to eraset the old (particularly a split).

  1. A few comments confused auto-completion (hit the colon to finish an
account name) and auto fill.  I'm only talking about the complete fill of
a line that occurs with the TAB key.

  2. Several people agreed with the idea of adding this as a feature.
  Either
      split the function: TAB moves, <alt>F fills (or some other keystroke)
                           a user-preference controls auto-fill-on-tab
      alternate keystroke: <alt>TAB for instance is tab-without-fill

   I guess I need to post this to a different list as a request?  The mailing
list instructions weren't clear.

  3. David T posted a very good workaround.  It turns out that for purposes
of auto-fill, a payee of "Charlie's auto" and "Charlies autox<backspace>",
i.e., add an x and then erase it, are not the same, so the latter will not
cause an auto-fill.
   This is almost as good as my suggestions in 2 above --- if it were added
to the documentation.  Since I am a fast touch typist I like the above better,
as I would want auto-fill on about 1 transaction in 5, and it would be faster
to split the keys.

        Terry Therneau

Re: auto fill: summary

Josh Sled
On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 12:38 -0600, Terry Therneau wrote:
>    I guess I need to post this to a different list as a request?  The mailing
> list instructions weren't clear.

Please file an RFE (and search for an existing one first) at
<http://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=GnuCash>.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled;b=asynchronous.org;echo ${a}@${b}