auto completion

Michael P. Soulier
Hey,

I notice that auto completion only seems to work in the same account. Why is
that? If I enter a given vendor in one account, shouldn't it also
auto-complete in another account for that vendor, without me having to enter
it again?

Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <[hidden email]>
direction." --Albert Einstein

Re: auto completion

Andrew Sackville-West-2
On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 08:22:08PM -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I notice that auto completion only seems to work in the same account. Why is
> that? If I enter a given vendor in one account, shouldn't it also
> auto-complete in another account for that vendor, without me having to enter
> it again?

my understanding is that the auto completion is built up for each
account as the register for that account is opened. THis means that
the autocomplete will only have information from the particular
account you are working in and there is no "global" auto-complete. You
can simulate a global autocomplete by working in the general ledger --
something I do from time to time. I personally would like to see a
global autocomplete but only for certain saved transactions as opposed
to ALL transactions. But, I haven't had time to provide the patches
:).

Re: auto completion

"Michael P. Soulier" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hey,
>
> I notice that auto completion only seems to work in the same account. Why is
> that?

Because that's the way it works.  Autocompletion only goes back in
the current account because it would be a lot more work (and less
clear) if it looked across multiple accounts.

>   If I enter a given vendor in one account, shouldn't it also
> auto-complete in another account for that vendor, without me having to enter
> it again?

I'm not sure what you mean here..  What do you mean by "another
account for that vendor"?  Are you talking about the business features
invoice/bill entry?!?  If so, then yes, it's a reasonable request to
suggest that autocompletion work across multiple invoices or bills for
the same customer or vendor...  But right now it doesn't work that
way.

IF this is what you're asking, please file an RFE in Bugzilla so it
doesn't get forgotten.

Re: auto completion

Michael P. Soulier
On 08/08/06 Derek Atkins said:

> Because that's the way it works.  Autocompletion only goes back in
> the current account because it would be a lot more work (and less
> clear) if it looked across multiple accounts.

How would it be less clear? More work, I understand. Harmful to performance,
I'm sure. Perhaps a preference option?

> I'm not sure what you mean here..  What do you mean by "another
> account for that vendor"?  Are you talking about the business features
> invoice/bill entry?!?  If so, then yes, it's a reasonable request to
> suggest that autocompletion work across multiple invoices or bills for
> the same customer or vendor...  But right now it doesn't work that
> way.

I'm referring to the description field that is autocompleted in the ledger. I
said vendor because most of the time I'm entering a receipt for something I
purchased.

Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <[hidden email]>
direction." --Albert Einstein

Re: auto completion

Maf. King
On Wednesday 09 August 2006 21:51, Michael P. Soulier wrote:

> I'm referring to the description field that is autocompleted in the ledger.
> I said vendor because most of the time I'm entering a receipt for something
> I purchased.
>
> Mike

If I can chip in with a thought...

Mike,

do you mean that you have two transactions, along the lines of:

Memo: bought some books
CreditCard1 25.00
Expense:Books 25.00

then later,
Memo: they also sell artist materials
PettyCash 8.50
Expenses:PaintBrush 8.50

??

If so, then next time you buy a book, presumably using eg. your checking
account, you want an auto complete?

How about this work-around...
Start in the CretitCard1 ledger, and then alter the account to match where the
transaction actually took place....

That may not be very clear, but if you start in the credit card account, you
get the auto-complete, and then alter the split line which refers to the
credit card to be the account you actually used.  I'm sure if you have a go,
it will make more sense than my words... ;-)

HTH,
Maf.

Re: auto completion

Andrew Sackville-West-2
On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 10:13:42PM +0100, Maf. King wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 August 2006 21:51, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
>

> > I'm referring to the description field that is autocompleted in the ledger.
> > I said vendor because most of the time I'm entering a receipt for something
> > I purchased.
> >
> > Mike
>
> If I can chip in with a thought...
>
> Mike,
>
> do you mean that you have two transactions, along the lines of:

> Memo: bought some books
> CreditCard1 25.00
> Expense:Books 25.00
>
> then later,
> Memo: they also sell artist materials
> PettyCash 8.50
> Expenses:PaintBrush 8.50
>
> ??
>
> If so, then next time you buy a book, presumably using eg. your checking
> account, you want an auto complete?
>
> How about this work-around...
> Start in the CretitCard1 ledger, and then alter the account to match where the
> transaction actually took place....
>
> That may not be very clear, but if you start in the credit card account, you
> get the auto-complete, and then alter the split line which refers to the
> credit card to be the account you actually used.  I'm sure if you have a go,
> it will make more sense than my words... ;-)
fwiw, I've used this technique in the past, but it can cause problems
in that the transaction won't always scrub correctly leaving you with
either an unbalanced transaction or an Orphan-USD account. I haven't
tested that in 2.0 to see if it still does. my recollection is that
you have to make sure the transaction is fully balanced before
entering it... the automatic adjustment of the parent account didn't
always work properly. ymmv.

also, Mike, are you referring to something like this?

Desc. Books-r-us
Memo. bought some books
CreditCard1 25.00
Expenses:Books 25.00

and then when in checking account having Books-r-us pull up the same
info but substituting the current account, such as?

Desc. Books-r-us
Memo. bought some more books with a check this time.
checking 15.00
expenses:books 15.00

is this what you're after?