advice on software

Chris Tsuji
   Hi
   Hopefully, I did this correct.
   I am a treasurer of a not profit orgnization and need to decide on
   using quickbooks or gnucash.
   The currently use quickbooks but has be be redone.
   What is your advice?
   thanks in advance.
   Chris tsuji

Re: advice on software

David Carlson-4
Chris,

There is a steep hill to climb to export history from a 'Q' program and
import it into GnuCash.

Many of GnuCash's current users felt that it was worth the effort to switch.

Even if you do not import any history, there is a learning curve to get
your account tree set up correctly, etc.  You should plan on spending a
minimum of several weeks to get your GnuCash file polished to the point
that you can show your reports to your officers and auditors.

That is only one comment from a satisfied GnuCash user.

David C

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Chris Tsuji <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    Hi
>    Hopefully, I did this correct.
>    I am a treasurer of a not profit orgnization and need to decide on
>    using quickbooks or gnucash.
>    The currently use quickbooks but has be be redone.
>    What is your advice?
>    thanks in advance.
>    Chris tsuji

Re: advice on software

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Hello Chris,

Am 12.08.2017 um 01:31 schrieb Chris Tsuji:
>    Hi
>    Hopefully, I did this correct.

Yes. :-)

>    I am a treasurer of a not profit orgnization and need to decide on
>    using quickbooks or gnucash.
>    The currently use quickbooks but has be be redone.
>    What is your advice?

There was recently a report on our devel list. Follow the thread in
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2017-August/040948.html

>    thanks in advance.
>    Chris tsuji

Regards
Frank

Re: advice on software

Mike or Penny Novack-3
On 8/11/2017 7:31 PM, Chris Tsuji wrote:
>     Hi
>     Hopefully, I did this correct.
>     I am a treasurer of a not profit orgnization and need to decide on
>     using quickbooks or gnucash.
>     The currently use quickbooks but has be be redone.
>     What is your advice?
>     thanks in advance.
>     Chris tsuji
> _
QuickBooks Pro for Non-profits did not contain any of the special things
accounting for non-profits calls for. In other words, you still have to
set that up manually. It is why after a 2006 fire, I chose not to
replace Quickbooks. Since some of the organizations for which I am not
treasurer but do serve on the finance committee use QuickBooks Pro for
Non-profits I can tell you that as of 2017 it STILL has none of the
special non-profit features.

Michael D Novack

just a few examples ---- a non-profit might need the usual "business"
categories of "vendor" and "customer" but it also would have the
category "donor". Pledges are receivables but only according to the
terms of the pledge << a pledge of $1000/year for the next ten years is
NOT an immediate receivable of $10,000 >>  Membership dues (if any) are
NOT a receivable while pledges are, but members usually want some sort
of unified statement.

PLEASE -- I am NOT saying that gnucash has these features, just that you
will have to improvises just as much using QuickBooks so why pay.

Re: advice on software

Jean-David Beyer-2
On 08/11/2017 07:31 PM, Chris Tsuji wrote:
>    Hi
>    Hopefully, I did this correct.
>    I am a treasurer of a not profit orgnization and need to decide on
>    using quickbooks or gnucash.
>    The currently use quickbooks but has be be redone.
>    What is your advice?
>    thanks in advance.
>    Chris tsuji

It depends on your tax jurisdiction and the exact legal status of your
non profit organization.

I am treasurer or a Quaker Meeting in New Jersey, USA. We are considered
a non-profit organization by both the Internal Revenue Service and the
State of New Jersey. We are also considered to be a religious
organization. We have no employees. A consequence is that we need file
no income tax returns.

We do keep books of income and expense because I must write
acknowledgement letters to donors so they can claim income tax
deductions. We also need to keep good records because some organizations
contribute money to us and they need to know aspects of our finances.

I do use GnuCash for this.

Long ago, I used Quicken and TurboTax for my accounts, but TurboTax did
not communicate well with Quicken one year, and I got rid of Windows for
almost all my computing work, so I switched to GnuCash for my personal
accounting. When I was made treasurer, I naturally used it for that too.
(Separate files; in fact a separate user account on my machine.)

--
  .~.  Jean-David Beyer          Registered Linux User 85642.
  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.