account types for investment gains and losses

account types for investment gains and losses

Michael P. Soulier
Hello,

I'm wondering what people normally use to represent investment gains and
losses. For mutual funds, for example, when funds gain or lose value, what
account type to you attribute those gains and losses to/from?

Thanks,
Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <[hidden email]>
direction." --Albert Einstein

Re: account types for investment gains and losses

Derek Atkins
"Michael P. Soulier" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering what people normally use to represent investment gains and
> losses. For mutual funds, for example, when funds gain or lose value, what
> account type to you attribute those gains and losses to/from?

Nothing.  Until they are realized there's no entries into your
datafile except PriceDB entries.  The reports will tell you your
current holding value, but there IS no gain/loss until you sell.

On 07/08/06 Derek Atkins said:

> Nothing.  Until they are realized there's no entries into your
> datafile except PriceDB entries.  The reports will tell you your
> current holding value, but there IS no gain/loss until you sell.

Ok, that makes sense. I'm trying to add my mutual funds via the price editor,
but it's insisting on a stock ticker symbol and to my knowledge, there isn't
one. What should I enter for say, this mutual fund?

http://globefunddb.theglobeandmail.com/gishome/plsql/igf.fund_pro?fundsymbol=ALMOAPAA&iaction=Get+Fund+Profile

Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <[hidden email]>
direction." --Albert Einstein

Re: account types for investment gains and losses

David Hampton-2
On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 18:24 -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:

> On 07/08/06 Derek Atkins said:
>
> > Nothing.  Until they are realized there's no entries into your
> > datafile except PriceDB entries.  The reports will tell you your
> > current holding value, but there IS no gain/loss until you sell.
>
> Ok, that makes sense. I'm trying to add my mutual funds via the price editor,
> but it's insisting on a stock ticker symbol and to my knowledge, there isn't
> one. What should I enter for say, this mutual fund?
>
> http://globefunddb.theglobeandmail.com/gishome/plsql/igf.fund_pro?fundsymbol=ALMOAPAA&iaction=Get+Fund+Profile

You can enter whatever you want, it makes no difference to GnuCash.  On
the other hand, it does make a difference if you want to automatically
retrieve stock quotes from the internet because the specified ticker
symbol is passed to Finance::Quote as part of the retrieval process.  On
the gripping hand, there's no quote source for retrieving quotes from
theglobeandmail.com so that doesn't really matter.

David

P.S. I'd use ALMOAPAA as the symbol in case someone eventually provides
F::Q support for theglobeandmail.com.