Wrong password and you're out!

randix
So I'm using GnuCash 2.6.14 and Windows 10...

I seem to have a continuing saga of being "penalized" if gawd forbid I enter the wrong password when going to download transactions from one of my accounts...

If I enter the wrong password, it eventually returns "no transactions".  And if I go to try it again, it skips over asking me for my password, it just returns "no transactions".  In other words, once I enter a wrong password, I'm never given a chance to enter the correct one.  I have to go to the Online Banking Setup and redo the account.

Anyone experience similar trauma or have a brilliant suggestion?  I seem to enter the wrong password every couple of weeks, and this is starting to get old, although I'm gettin' really good at the Online Banking Setup!!!!

Re: Wrong password and you're out!

GnuCash - User mailing list
On 22/10/2016 13:46, Steve wrote:

> So I'm using GnuCash 2.6.14 and Windows 10...
>
> I seem to have a continuing saga of being "penalized" if gawd forbid I enter
> the wrong password when going to download transactions from one of my
> accounts...
>
> If I enter the wrong password, it eventually returns "no transactions".  And
> if I go to try it again, it skips over asking me for my password, it just
> returns "no transactions".  In other words, once I enter a wrong password,
> I'm never given a chance to enter the correct one.  I have to go to the
> Online Banking Setup and redo the account.
>
> Anyone experience similar trauma or have a brilliant suggestion?  I seem to
> enter the wrong password every couple of weeks, and this is starting to get
> old, although I'm gettin' really good at the Online Banking Setup!!!!

I'd like to suggest a good password manager

I use KeePass but there are others available.

--
Wm

Re: Wrong password and you're out!

Plutocrat
Steve wrote on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 08:46 PM:
> Anyone experience similar trauma or have a brilliant suggestion?

It depends how your bank does the password authorization, but if it uses basic HTTP auth, then you might be able to use the URL format:
  http://username:password@.../

If you try it once, and it works, then you probably won't have to type the password again, as Gnucash will remember the URL.
The downside is that now your username and password is stored in a plain text file on your computer. You'll have to balance convenience with security.

P.

Re: Wrong password and you're out!

GnuCash - User mailing list
Presumably, at least, you meant “https”? Sending user/password on plain html would be a bad idea, I think.

David

> On Oct 24, 2016, at 7:17 AM, Plutocrat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Steve wrote on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 08:46 PM:
>> Anyone experience similar trauma or have a brilliant suggestion?
>
> It depends how your bank does the password authorization, but if it uses basic HTTP auth, then you might be able to use the URL format:
>  http://username:password@.../
>
> If you try it once, and it works, then you probably won't have to type the password again, as Gnucash will remember the URL.
> The downside is that now your username and password is stored in a plain text file on your computer. You'll have to balance convenience with security.
>
> P.

Re: Wrong password and you're out!

    David,
The bank may or may not be configured to accept https for passwords.  The form suggested by Plutocrat goes back to much simpler times before there were sophisticated hackers to worry about.
  You would not believe some of the things that exist out there in the internet.
Other examples include all the Internet things that are not secured against being recruited into botnets and being used in denial of service attacks against certain websites.
David C
Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE, an AT&T 4G LTE tablet

------ Original message------From: David T. via gnucash-userDate: Sun, Oct 23, 2016 11:40 PMTo: Plutocrat;Cc: [hidden email];Subject:Re: Wrong password and you're out!
Presumably, at least, you meant “https”? Sending user/password on plain html would be a bad idea, I think.David> On Oct 24, 2016, at 7:17 AM, Plutocrat  wrote:> > Steve wrote on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 08:46 PM:>> Anyone experience similar trauma or have a brilliant suggestion? > > It depends how your bank does the password authorization, but if it uses basic HTTP auth, then you might be able to use the URL format:>  http://username:password@.../> > If you try it once, and it works, then you probably won't have to type the password again, as Gnucash will remember the URL. > The downside is that now your username and password is stored in a plain text file on your computer. You'll have to balance convenience with security. > > P.> _______________________________________________> gnucash-user mailing list> [hidden email]> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user> -----> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All._______________________________________________gnucash-user mailing [hidden email]://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user-----Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.