Writing cheques

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Writing cheques

Doug Laidlaw
First, I can see that Version 2.0 is a great advance.  A pity that the d-m-y
sequence in "Import QIF" wasn't corrected.  Beuing naive, I would have
thought that all of those date defaults could be set globally by the locale.

Anyway, I am looking again at writing cheques.  I have been able to edit an
existing template.  A couple of little things:

(a) instead of "...and 99/100" the convention here is "...and 99 cents".  I
can see where this is set, but the correct syntax to change it isn't obvious.

(b) although the default font is fine in the data, it looks a bit amateurish
on a cheque.  Can another be specified there only?

Doug L.
--
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams.
   - W.B. Yeats.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Writing cheques

Derek Atkins
Doug Laidlaw <[hidden email]> writes:

> First, I can see that Version 2.0 is a great advance.  A pity that the d-m-y
> sequence in "Import QIF" wasn't corrected.  Beuing naive, I would have
> thought that all of those date defaults could be set globally by the locale.

Define "wasn't corrected"?  What bug are you referring to?  I don't
remember seeing this.  And as for "defaults", well, there's nothing
that says that your QIF creator maps to your current locale.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Writing cheques

Doug Laidlaw
I wouldn't call it a bug, exactly.  It is more of an unnecessary irritation.

When importing a QIF, the date format defaults to m-d-y regardless of where I
am.  If the result would be ridiculous, it changes to d-m-y.  This was
present in Version 1.

I am in Australia, and have accounts with two banks in Australia.  Only one
gives me a choice of date format when downloading.  The other serves up d-m-y
without asking.  In Quicken, there is a radio button in the import screen,
which stays where it is set.  With Gnucash, the default in this one place
cannot be preset.  All other date styles are set in the config.  I suppose
that I could edit a Scheme file somewhere and make d-m-y the first
alternative in the drop down menu, but what about the "keyboard and monitor"
users?

If the QIF doesn't match the locale every time, then I think that it is more
likely to match it than not.  If somebody has a Swiss bank account or another
"overseas" one, he should be prepared to need to watch this, but not somebody
using local banks.

(BTW, the default currency is GBP, not USD, or even the one at the top of the
alphabetical list.  Surely the Brits would expect the date format to match
the currency default.  We use their date format.)

Doug L.

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:32 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Doug Laidlaw <[hidden email]> writes:
> > First, I can see that Version 2.0 is a great advance.  A pity that the
> > d-m-y sequence in "Import QIF" wasn't corrected.  Beuing naive, I would
> > have thought that all of those date defaults could be set globally by the
> > locale.
>
> Define "wasn't corrected"?  What bug are you referring to?  I don't
> remember seeing this.  And as for "defaults", well, there's nothing
> that says that your QIF creator maps to your current locale.
>
> -derek

--
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to
improve the world.
   - Anne Frank.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Writing cheques

Derek Atkins
Well, this is the first I remember hearing about this.  Can you
file an RFE for this?

The qif parser will check through all the date entries and try to
disambiguate.  The problem, of course, is that QIF /IS/ ambiguous.
But if you see a date like 2006-13-01 you know exactly what format
you've got.  Whereas 06-03-01 is completely ambiguous.  So...  the
parser doesn't its best to figure out what the possible date formats
are based on the data you've got, and will ask the user to choose from
the resultant versions.

Yeah, it could probably be updated to make the locale format the
default choice (assuming the locale date format IS a possible choice).

-derek

Doug Laidlaw <[hidden email]> writes:

> I wouldn't call it a bug, exactly.  It is more of an unnecessary irritation.
>
> When importing a QIF, the date format defaults to m-d-y regardless of where I
> am.  If the result would be ridiculous, it changes to d-m-y.  This was
> present in Version 1.
>
> I am in Australia, and have accounts with two banks in Australia.  Only one
> gives me a choice of date format when downloading.  The other serves up d-m-y
> without asking.  In Quicken, there is a radio button in the import screen,
> which stays where it is set.  With Gnucash, the default in this one place
> cannot be preset.  All other date styles are set in the config.  I suppose
> that I could edit a Scheme file somewhere and make d-m-y the first
> alternative in the drop down menu, but what about the "keyboard and monitor"
> users?
>
> If the QIF doesn't match the locale every time, then I think that it is more
> likely to match it than not.  If somebody has a Swiss bank account or another
> "overseas" one, he should be prepared to need to watch this, but not somebody
> using local banks.
>
> (BTW, the default currency is GBP, not USD, or even the one at the top of the
> alphabetical list.  Surely the Brits would expect the date format to match
> the currency default.  We use their date format.)
>
> Doug L.
>
> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:32 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Doug Laidlaw <[hidden email]> writes:
>> > First, I can see that Version 2.0 is a great advance.  A pity that the
>> > d-m-y sequence in "Import QIF" wasn't corrected.  Beuing naive, I would
>> > have thought that all of those date defaults could be set globally by the
>> > locale.
>>
>> Define "wasn't corrected"?  What bug are you referring to?  I don't
>> remember seeing this.  And as for "defaults", well, there's nothing
>> that says that your QIF creator maps to your current locale.
>>
>> -derek
>
> --
> How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to
> improve the world.
>    - Anne Frank.
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>
>

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Writing cheques

Doug Laidlaw
Yes, I understand why it happens.  I am not a programmer, and simply assumed
that the date format set for the program would apply throughout, whether it
came from i18n, or from the config itself. I did raise this a while back
under earlier versions.  I can't remember what I was told back then.

But what  I REALLY asked was this:

' instead of "...and 99/100" the convention here is "...and 99 cents".  I
can see where this is set, but the correct syntax to change it isn't obvious.'

I have found the Scheme file concerned, but I am not sure how to alter it.  
The one for cheque sizes is pretty clear.

I rarely print more than one cheque at a time, so I have no difficulty there.

Doug.

On Friday 08 Sep 2006 23:39, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Well, this is the first I remember hearing about this.  Can you
> file an RFE for this?
>
> The qif parser will check through all the date entries and try to
> disambiguate.  The problem, of course, is that QIF /IS/ ambiguous.
> But if you see a date like 2006-13-01 you know exactly what format
> you've got.  Whereas 06-03-01 is completely ambiguous.  So...  the
> parser doesn't its best to figure out what the possible date formats
> are based on the data you've got, and will ask the user to choose from
> the resultant versions.
>
> Yeah, it could probably be updated to make the locale format the
> default choice (assuming the locale date format IS a possible choice).
>
> -derek
>
> Doug Laidlaw <[hidden email]> writes:
> > I wouldn't call it a bug, exactly.  It is more of an unnecessary
> > irritation.
> >
> > When importing a QIF, the date format defaults to m-d-y regardless of
> > where I am.  If the result would be ridiculous, it changes to d-m-y.
> > This was present in Version 1.
> >
> > I am in Australia, and have accounts with two banks in Australia.  Only
> > one gives me a choice of date format when downloading.  The other serves
> > up d-m-y without asking.  In Quicken, there is a radio button in the
> > import screen, which stays where it is set.  With Gnucash, the default in
> > this one place cannot be preset.  All other date styles are set in the
> > config.  I suppose that I could edit a Scheme file somewhere and make
> > d-m-y the first alternative in the drop down menu, but what about the
> > "keyboard and monitor" users?
> >
> > If the QIF doesn't match the locale every time, then I think that it is
> > more likely to match it than not.  If somebody has a Swiss bank account
> > or another "overseas" one, he should be prepared to need to watch this,
> > but not somebody using local banks.
> >
> > (BTW, the default currency is GBP, not USD, or even the one at the top of
> > the alphabetical list.  Surely the Brits would expect the date format to
> > match the currency default.  We use their date format.)
> >
> > Doug L.
> >
> > On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:32 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
> >> Doug Laidlaw <[hidden email]> writes:
> >> > First, I can see that Version 2.0 is a great advance.  A pity that the
> >> > d-m-y sequence in "Import QIF" wasn't corrected.  Beuing naive, I
> >> > would have thought that all of those date defaults could be set
> >> > globally by the locale.
> >>
> >> Define "wasn't corrected"?  What bug are you referring to?  I don't
> >> remember seeing this.  And as for "defaults", well, there's nothing
> >> that says that your QIF creator maps to your current locale.
> >>
> >> -derek
> >
> > --
> > How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting
> > to improve the world.
> >    - Anne Frank.
> > _______________________________________________
> > gnucash-user mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> > -----
> > Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> > You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

--
If you don't have a dream,
How are you going to have a dream come true?
   - Oscar Hammerstein II.

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Writing cheques

David Reiser

On Sep 9, 2006, at 9:55 AM, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> Yes, I understand why it happens.  I am not a programmer, and  
> simply assumed
> that the date format set for the program would apply throughout,  
> whether it
> came from i18n, or from the config itself. I did raise this a while  
> back
> under earlier versions.  I can't remember what I was told back then.
>
> But what  I REALLY asked was this:
>
> ' instead of "...and 99/100" the convention here is "...and 99  
> cents".  I
> can see where this is set, but the correct syntax to change it  
> isn't obvious.'
>
> [...]
> Doug.
  Looks to me like in number-to-words.scm, if you take the part that  
says:

           (string-append (integer-to-words int-part) " and "
                          (with-output-to-string
                            (lambda ()
                              (write frac-part)
                              (display "/")
                              (write frac-denom)))))

and make it say

           (string-append (integer-to-words int-part) " and "
                          (with-output-to-string
                            (lambda ()
                              (write frac-part)
                              (display " cents")))))

you might get what you want. This is ugly as a patch, because I think  
it leaves dead code related to the determination of frac-denom, but I  
don't think the remnants get in the way.

--
David Reiser
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.