Working on Having Gnucash Again Run

Rich Shepard
   When I upgraded to Slackware-11.0 from -10.2, gnucash quit working. I have
the Freerock Gnome installed and that did the job before the upgrade. So,
now I'm trying to install the libraries that are missing, one-by-one, until
the application again loads.

   The current sticking point is libguile-ltdl.so.1 not being on the system,
despite having Guile installed. A Google search reveals that this has been a
problem for others, and other applications, too. However, I cannot find just
where that library derives. It's apparently not in guile-1.8.0 or -1.8.1,
and I cannot find a libguile tarball or package.

   Please point me to a source for this necessary library.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |    The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |          Accelerator(TM)

Re: Working on Having Gnucash Again Run

Josh Sled
On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 17:00 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    The current sticking point is libguile-ltdl.so.1 not being on the system,
> despite having Guile installed. A Google search reveals that this has been a
> problem for others, and other applications, too. However, I cannot find just
> where that library derives. It's apparently not in guile-1.8.0 or -1.8.1,
> and I cannot find a libguile tarball or package.

As I recall, g-wrap built before a guile upgrade will believe it needs
this library.  Have you rebuilt g-wrap after upgrading guile?

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled;b=asynchronous.org;echo ${a}@${b}

Re: Working on Having Gnucash Again Run

Ariel-16

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   The current sticking point is libguile-ltdl.so.1 not being on the system,
> despite having Guile installed. A Google search reveals that this has been a
> problem for others, and other applications, too. However, I cannot find just
> where that library derives. It's apparently not in guile-1.8.0 or -1.8.1,
> and I cannot find a libguile tarball or package.

On debian it's in: libguile-ltdl-1 - it's in guile-1.6, don't know about
other versions. http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/guile-1.6.html

  -Ariel

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Josh Sled wrote:

> As I recall, g-wrap built before a guile upgrade will believe it needs
> this library.  Have you rebuilt g-wrap after upgrading guile?

Josh,

   No, I didn't. The guile version numbers for Slackware-10.2 and -11.0 are
-1.6.7 and -1.8.0. I just built and installed guile-1.8.1.

   I do have the latest g-wrap-1.9.6 installed, but that occurred after the
distribution upgrade and before today's guile upgrade.

   OK. I just re-installed g-wrap-1.9.6 and now gnucash wants libguile.so.12,
and I cannot find any libguile on the system, nor can I find a package for
it on the freerock gnome site. Sigh.

   Running 'ldd /usr/bin/gnucash-bin' reveals three missing dependencies:

  libguile.so.12 => not found
  libguile-ltdl.so.1 => not found
  libqthreads.so.12 => not found

   Have you any idea of the packages in which these might be found? The
libguile-ltdl was a stopper yesterday and I cannot find where that comes
from. Google shows a number of applications that miss it.

Thanks,

Rich

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Ariel wrote:

> On debian it's in: libguile-ltdl-1 - it's in guile-1.6, don't know about
> other versions. http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/guile-1.6.html

Ariel,

   It may have been in guile-1.6.7 in Slackware-10.2, but it's not in
guile-1.8.0 or -1.8.1.

Rich

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 17:50 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:

>    No, I didn't. The guile version numbers for Slackware-10.2 and -11.0 are
> -1.6.7 and -1.8.0. I just built and installed guile-1.8.1.
>
>    I do have the latest g-wrap-1.9.6 installed, but that occurred after the
> distribution upgrade and before today's guile upgrade.

>    OK. I just re-installed g-wrap-1.9.6 and now gnucash wants libguile.so.12,
> and I cannot find any libguile on the system, nor can I find a package for
> it on the freerock gnome site. Sigh.
Did you reinstall a binary package of g-wrap, or rebuild it from
sources?  If a binary, then it reads like it was built against
guile-1.6, and you're trying to run it on a guile-1.8 system, that's not
going to work.  "libguile.so.12" is guile-1.6; my guile-1.8 install
provides libguile.so.17.

Also, of course, you need to rebuild gnucash after changes to either
guile or g-wrap, in case you're not...

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled;b=asynchronous.org;echo ${a}@${b}

Re: Working on Having Gnucash Again Run

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Josh Sled wrote:

> Did you reinstall a binary package of g-wrap, or rebuild it from sources?

   A binary package.

> If a binary, then it reads like it was built against guile-1.6, and you're
> trying to run it on a guile-1.8 system, that's not going to work.
> "libguile.so.12" is guile-1.6; my guile-1.8 install provides
> libguile.so.17.

   Yes, I have libguile.so.17 installed here.

> Also, of course, you need to rebuild gnucash after changes to either guile
> or g-wrap, in case you're not...

   So, I need to find the source tarball for g-wrap and gnucash, then build
and re-install them in that order.

   That's for tomorrow. Now it's time to make dinner and try to relax a bit.
I'll post results after I've done the rebuilds.

Many thanks,

Rich

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 18:12 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    So, I need to find the source tarball for g-wrap and gnucash, then build
> and re-install them in that order.

Or upgrade to a distro with basic package management.  :)

Every other distro has encoded all of this version- and build-order
dependency information in their own ways.  If you want to stay close to
the metal and compile stuff, Gentoo is awesome; it seems Fedora and
Debian are great, too.  But Slack seems like an exercise in pain.

Cheers...
--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled;b=asynchronous.org;echo ${a}@${b}

Re: Working on Having Gnucash Again Run

Mark Johnson-2
Rich Shepard wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Ariel wrote:
>

>>On debian it's in: libguile-ltdl-1 - it's in guile-1.6, don't know about
>>other versions. http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/guile-1.6.html
>>

>Ariel,
>
>   It may have been in guile-1.6.7 in Slackware-10.2, but it's not in
>guile-1.8.0 or -1.8.1.
>
>Rich

I can confirm that it is in guile-1.6.7 on my Slackware 10.2 system.

Mark

Re: Working on Having Gnucash Again Run

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Josh Sled wrote:

> Or upgrade to a distro with basic package management.  :)

   Slackware has a full set of package tools, including slapt-get and swaret.
But, it does not contain Gnome.

> Every other distro has encoded all of this version- and build-order
> dependency information in their own ways.  If you want to stay close to
> the metal and compile stuff, Gentoo is awesome; it seems Fedora and Debian
> are great, too.  But Slack seems like an exercise in pain.

   Actually, it's been more stable and easier to maintian and upgrade than
Red Hat was in the 4.0-7.3 period. The only application that gives me pain
is gnucash because it's the only one I use that _requires_ gnome.

Rich

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Mark Johnson wrote:

> I can confirm that it is in guile-1.6.7 on my Slackware 10.2 system.

Mark,

   Apparently it's not in guile-1.8.x because gnucash stopped working when I
upgraded from -10.2 to -11.0.

   I have built guile-1.8.1 from source and installed it, also g-wrap-1.9.7.
Now I'm trying to build guncash-2.0.4, but it can't see the g-wrap-2.0-guile
which is installed; at least, the .pc is installed. And, it cannot see SLID
which is happily ensconced in /usr/local/lib/slib/.

   I'm calling it a night. Time for dinner and some down time.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |    The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |          Accelerator(TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax: 503-667-8863

Re: Working on Having Gnucash Again Run

Derek Atkins
Quoting Rich Shepard <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Mark Johnson wrote:
>
>> I can confirm that it is in guile-1.6.7 on my Slackware 10.2 system.
>
> Mark,
>
>   Apparently it's not in guile-1.8.x because gnucash stopped working when I
> upgraded from -10.2 to -11.0.
>
>   I have built guile-1.8.1 from source and installed it, also g-wrap-1.9.7.

g-wrap 1.9.7 doesn't work with gnucash.  Downgrade to g-wrap 1.9.6

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 18:51 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Josh Sled wrote:
> > Or upgrade to a distro with basic package management.  :)
>
>    Slackware has a full set of package tools, including slapt-get and swaret.
> But, it does not contain Gnome.

Supporting gnome (and kde) was a pretty basic requirement a few years
ago, let alone today.

>    Actually, it's been more stable and easier to maintian and upgrade than
> Red Hat was in the 4.0-7.3 period. The only application that gives me pain
> is gnucash because it's the only one I use that _requires_ gnome.

I'm sure it's about as good or better than Red Hat 4.0 .. 7.3!  But
things have advanced significantly since then.  Any modern distro should
install gnucash, and every dependency it requires (and keep them
upgraded), with a single command.

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 18:54 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    I have built guile-1.8.1 from source and installed it, also g-wrap-1.9.7.
> Now I'm trying to build guncash-2.0.4, but it can't see the g-wrap-2.0-guile
> which is installed; at least, the .pc is installed. And, it cannot see SLID
> which is happily ensconced in /usr/local/lib/slib/.

g-wrap-1.9.7 will not work with gnucash.  g-wrap (both 1.9.6 and 1.9.7)
should be patched to look for glib-2.0.  slib has specific versions that
do and don't work with guile and with gnucash.  You can search the
mailing list archives (both -user and -devel) for details of all this.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled;b=asynchronous.org;echo ${a}@${b}

Re: Working on Having Gnucash Again Run

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Josh Sled wrote:

> Any modern distro should install gnucash, and every dependency it requires
> (and keep them upgraded), with a single command.

Josh,

   That would be wonderful! Gnucash is a great application when I can keep it
running. I had even worse problems with Red Hat. The only 'competition,'
Kmymoney2 is buggy, difficult to use, and one of the most ugly applications
I've seen ... and I'm not fussy about eye-candy. I'd much rather an
application work -- particularly without the need to move my hands from the
keyboard.

> g-wrap-1.9.7 will not work with gnucash.  g-wrap (both 1.9.6 and 1.9.7)
> should be patched to look for glib-2.0.  slib has specific versions that
> do and don't work with guile and with gnucash.  You can search the mailing
> list archives (both -user and -devel) for details of all this.

   Oh. OK. I'll re-install the g-wrap and slib from the distribution disks
and see what gnucash tells me then.

Thanks very much for your help,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |    The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |          Accelerator(TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax: 503-667-8863

Re: Working on Having Gnucash Again Run

Graeme Nichols
Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Josh Sled wrote:
>
>> Any modern distro should install gnucash, and every dependency it requires
>> (and keep them upgraded), with a single command.
>
> Josh,
>
>    That would be wonderful! Gnucash is a great application when I can keep it
> running. I had even worse problems with Red Hat. The only 'competition,'
> Kmymoney2 is buggy, difficult to use, and one of the most ugly applications
> I've seen ... and I'm not fussy about eye-candy. I'd much rather an
> application work -- particularly without the need to move my hands from the
> keyboard.

Rich,

If I may but in, Fedora Core 6 and Gnucash 2.0.4 work together extremely
well. If you were to install FC6 I'm sure you would be more than
pleased. But then again, I may be biased, I've been a RedHat/Fedora
person all along and FC6 is the best yet  :-)

I have only ever had one problem getting Gnucash to run and that was
after my recent upgrade from FC4 to FC6. The problem eventually turned
out to be the fact that I built a binary .rpm from the 2.0.4 tarball
under FC4. After upgrading to FC6 Gnucash would no longer run because
one of the libraries I built it against in FC4 no longer existed
according to the rpm database. Deleting the old FC4 build of Gnucash and
rebuilding the .rpm binary under FC6 all was OK again.

What actually happened under the hood was that the FC6 distro contained
an older Gnucash version than the 2.0.4 on my system so the upgrade
tried to keep the 2.0.4 Gnucash and the old libraries to support it.
Didn't work in practice. I should have deleted the 2.0.4 Gnucash
*before* doing the FC4 <--> FC6 upgrade.

Anyway, under RedHat/Fedora I have *never* had a dependency problem.
Using yum upgrade gnucash takes all the hassle out of
installing/upgrading gnucash.

[Note to Derek: my yum problem was a faulty crash-hat.repo file from
http://crash.fce.vutbr.cz/crash-hat.repo (Peter Kristof)

Cheers,

>> g-wrap-1.9.7 will not work with gnucash.  g-wrap (both 1.9.6 and 1.9.7)
>> should be patched to look for glib-2.0.  slib has specific versions that
>> do and don't work with guile and with gnucash.  You can search the mailing
>> list archives (both -user and -devel) for details of all this.
>
>    Oh. OK. I'll re-install the g-wrap and slib from the distribution disks
> and see what gnucash tells me then.
>
> Thanks very much for your help,
>
> Rich

Kind regards,

Graeme.

Re: Working on Having Gnucash Again Run

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Josh Sled wrote:

> g-wrap-1.9.7 will not work with gnucash.  g-wrap (both 1.9.6 and 1.9.7)
> should be patched to look for glib-2.0.  slib has specific versions that
> do and don't work with guile and with gnucash.

Josh, et al.:

   Restored slib and g-wrap to their previous versions; added guile-1.6.7 to
the existing -1.8.1.

   No missing libraries now, but probably an incorrect version of one. When I
invoke gnucash this is returned:

[rshepard@salmo ~]$ gnucash
gnucash-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/./libgnome-2.so.0: undefined
symbol: bonobo_activation_get_goption_group

   I have libgnome-2.14.1-i486-3frg installed. Do I need an earlier version
of this library, too?

Almost there,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |    The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |          Accelerator(TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax: 503-667-8863

Re: Working on Having Gnucash Again Run -- FIXED

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  When I upgraded to Slackware-11.0 from -10.2, gnucash quit working. I
> have the Freerock Gnome installed and that did the job before the upgrade.
> So, now I'm trying to install the libraries that are missing, one-by-one,
> until the application again loads.

   All fixed now. Gnome-ish libraries had to be downgraded from the latest
versions.

Rich