Windows 10 and lost backup files.

bobo
I've recently upgraded to Windows 10, and now cannot find any back-ups.  Can I manually set up a folder to save them to?

Re: Windows 10 and lost backup files.

Colin Law
On 23 October 2015 at 20:31, bobo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've recently upgraded to Windows 10, and now cannot find any back-ups.  Can
> I manually set up a folder to save them to?

I am not sure exactly what you are asking.  Do you mean you cannot
find backups that you previously made or you cannot find the automatic
backups that gnucash made.  But then your second sentence is asking
about saving backups so I am confused.  The automatic backups that
gnucash makes are saved to the same folder that you save the accounts
file to.  I don't think you can change that.  Of course any time you
can do Save As and save a copy anywhere you like.  Don't forget to
then re-open your original file or it will open the backup for you
next time.

Colin

Re: Windows 10 and lost backup files.

> On Oct 23, 2015, at 12:31 PM, bobo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've recently upgraded to Windows 10, and now cannot find any back-ups.  Can
> I manually set up a folder to save them to?

The following assumes that you’re using the XML backend; the SQL backends don’t make backups.
GnuCash puts its backups in the same folder that the data file is in. In fact, it just renames the last-opened file with a timestamp (so foo.gnucash will become foo.gnucash.20151023134738.gnucash) and then saves the state in memory to a new file with the same base name. I just tested this in Win10 and it works as expected. There is at present no way to have GnuCash use a different folder from the one holding the main data file for backups.

Re: Windows 10 and lost backup files.

bobo
Thanks for your replies.
1.  Windows 10  does not appear to have a programmes/applications folder, so I cannot find any back-ups made since the upgrade.
2. The C/ drive is named Windows 8, and contains historic backups pre-upgrade
3.  I would like to be able to nominate a destination folder for the backups
4. Gnucash opens just fine, but the destination folder shown in the header bar is not searchable via file explorer
thanks

Re: Windows 10 and lost backup files.

Mike or Penny Novack-2
On 10/24/2015 4:26 AM, bobo wrote:
> Thanks for your replies.
> 1.  Windows 10  does not appear to have a programmes/applications folder, so
> I cannot find any back-ups made since the upgrade.
1) THAT would be a directory where PROGRAMS exist, not DATA.
2) Refer to your "Windows 10 for Dummies" book to learn what it might be
called in Windows 10. When you go to a new operating system, no good
reason to believe everything will have the same name.
3) Have you disabled "do not show hidden files and folders"?
    But to repeat, that is NOT the directory in which you gnucash DATA
would be stored.

> 2. The C/ drive is named Windows 8, and contains historic backups
> pre-upgrade
See "2" above. Since I'm not using Windows 10 I have no idea what the
"user data" directory (file folder) is named in Windows 10.

3. I would like to be able to nominate a destination folder for the backups

Do you mean the interim backups created by gnucash? Or the backups you
need to make every so often of ALL of your user data?
> 4. Gnucash opens just fine, but the destination folder shown in the header
> bar is not searchable via file explorer
See "3" above. However I think you are talking about the target of the
shortcut for opening the program. Programs are NOT data.

Michael D Novack

PS: For 2, while I don't KNOW what Windows 10 uses, I would be willing
to place a small wager that whatever name you chose as a user (for your
log in to Windows 10) will be in the path name. But again, until you
have disabled "do not show hidden files and folders" you can't say what
"file explorer" will or will not show you. The default as Windows OS's
are shipped is "do not show".

Re: Windows 10 and lost backup files.

John Ralls-2

> On Oct 24, 2015, at 5:03 AM, Mike or Penny Novack <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 10/24/2015 4:26 AM, bobo wrote:
>> Thanks for your replies.
>> 1.  Windows 10  does not appear to have a programmes/applications folder, so
>> I cannot find any back-ups made since the upgrade.
> 1) THAT would be a directory where PROGRAMS exist, not DATA.
> 2) Refer to your "Windows 10 for Dummies" book to learn what it might be called in Windows 10. When you go to a new operating system, no good reason to believe everything will have the same name.
> 3) Have you disabled "do not show hidden files and folders"?
>   But to repeat, that is NOT the directory in which you gnucash DATA would be stored.
>
>> 2. The C/ drive is named Windows 8, and contains historic backups
>> pre-upgrade
> See "2" above. Since I'm not using Windows 10 I have no idea what the "user data" directory (file folder) is named in Windows 10.
>
> 3. I would like to be able to nominate a destination folder for the backups
>
> Do you mean the interim backups created by gnucash? Or the backups you need to make every so often of ALL of your user data?
>> 4. Gnucash opens just fine, but the destination folder shown in the header
>> bar is not searchable via file explorer
> See "3" above. However I think you are talking about the target of the shortcut for opening the program. Programs are NOT data.
>
> Michael D Novack
>
> PS: For 2, while I don't KNOW what Windows 10 uses, I would be willing to place a small wager that whatever name you chose as a user (for your log in to Windows 10) will be in the path name. But again, until you have disabled "do not show hidden files and folders" you can't say what "file explorer" will or will not show you. The default as Windows OS's are shipped is "do not show".

Both the program directories and home directories are accessible from Windows Explorer, as they have always been. They’re just not on the default sidebar, you have to navigate to them starting from “Local Computer”. GnuCash installs itself into C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash as always, and Win10 has adopted the Mac convention of putting the user directories in C:\Users.

The user’s primary documents folder, C:\Users\YourName\Documents, *does* have a shortcut in the sidebar and is the logical place to put a folder for your GnuCash data files.

If GnuCash is starting up and opening the data file then its path hasn’t changed. To find that path, select File>Save As and examine the path just below the filename text entry and above the directory listing.

On 24 October 2015 at 09:26, bobo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your replies.
> 1.  Windows 10  does not appear to have a programmes/applications folder, so
> I cannot find any back-ups made since the upgrade.

Open your data file and click File > Save As.  The folder that you see
will be the one where the data file is and all the automatic backups.

Colin

Re: Windows 10 and lost backup files.

randix
In the classic "forever its worth" category... my Gnucash Data folder is located on my Google Drive, and additionally, every three (3) days I run a Forfiles batch file which copies all of the data files from that folder over to a separate backup folder (also located on Google Drive).  And once every three weeks the supplementary folders, eg starting with a "." like .gconf, .gconfd, etc., as well as the aqbanking folder, are also copied over to the backup folder.  And finally, once a month my entire laptop is imaged onto an exterior drive.

I'm running Windows 10 and the latest version of GnuCash, and have used the same backup procedure since good ole Windows 7 (sniff)...

RE: Windows 10 and lost backup files.

ChrisGood
> Message: 9

> Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 01:26:42 -0700 (PDT)
> From: bobo <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Windows 10 and lost backup files.
>
> Thanks for your replies.
> 1.  Windows 10  does not appear to have a programmes/applications folder,
> so
> I cannot find any back-ups made since the upgrade.
> 2. The C/ drive is named Windows 8, and contains historic backups
> pre-upgrade
> 3.  I would like to be able to nominate a destination folder for the
backups
> 4. Gnucash opens just fine, but the destination folder shown in the header
> bar is not searchable via file explorer
> thanks

Hi Bobo,

If you still cannot find your data file in File Explorer, I suggest:

1) Open GnuCash. It will automatically open the last data file it used,
which hopefully is your most recent real data file.
2) Create a new data file in a location you can see in File Explorer, using
GnuCash File, Save As.
I suggest C:\Users\[MyName]\Documents\GnuCash\...

Thankfully the superfluous My Documents folder has disappeared from Windows
10.

Using a subfolder of Documents means you can easily see it in File Explorer
and it is backed up by Windows Backup and Restore. Of course you need to
make other backups as well, say to DropBox.

I actually store my GnuCash data files in additional subfolders of GnuCash
like:
VVV\IIYYYY
Where
VVV is the GnuCash version eg 269
II is my initials (Or a company code say)
YYYY is the starting year of data in the file as I will start a new file
once it becomes too slow to open GnuCash due to too much data.

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#GnuCash_Files_and_managing_a_GnuCash_instal
lation
contains lots of info about GnuCash files and where they are.

Note that 2.6.8 has bug where Save As does not work in Windows 10 which has
been fixed in latest version 2.6.9.

Regards, Chris Good

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment